Anyone here is having his ADHD(for those who dont know - Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. In short - you have problem maintaining focus) issues affecting his guitar play? When i try to practice my scales, i play like "A A# C" and then "poof" like someone turned my brain off, i stop and have to start all over again.

Imagine like theres some power switch in the backs of your heads. For most of you people the switch is usually up and everything works fine. But for people with ADHD, that switch goes on and off really often, "mental blackout" you can call it. There are alot of things that ADHDs can do and focus and do even better than normal people(stock trading and art for example) but some things which require longer sessions of focus(say a long math problem) are harder for us because these "blackouts" cause us to stop, and sometimes forget what we did before, and we have to start all over again. I stopped learning math because these "blackouts" caused me to forget little things like which number had"-" and that TOTALLY screwed up my tests, though theoretically i knew perfectly how to solve every problem and never needed a calculator.

I have these "stops" happening to me with other things i do with the guitar, yet in the scales section my brain turns into some neuronic porridge everytime i try to memorize them, and its really annoying...

am i the only ADHD guitar player with these issues? Anyone have any tips on how to deal with this issue?
That's the illness that make kids extremely aggressive and hyperactive, right?
I went to school with one of those. He almost stabbed the girls in my class with a knife after threatening the teacher.
Good times.
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
The first step to solving your problem with ADHD is
"When words fail, the guitar speaks."
-George Szell
im not sure if i have ADHD or not, but i too cannot concentrate for stuff for too long in the sence i would be practasing something and then after few seconds i would be like i cba
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by ibrahimasood
im not sure if i have ADHD or not, but i too cannot concentrate for stuff for too long in the sence i would be practasing something and then after few seconds i would be like i cba

Nah, I think that's called lazy.

I know how you feel, TS. I have ADD. Sucks big time, especially since I'm a student.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I have symptoms of ADHD but never been tested or anything. I play a couple of songs on guitar before getting bored and picking it up again in about half an hour.
Quote by Standarduser

am i the only ADHD guitar player with these issues? Anyone have any tips on how to deal with this issue?

I was diagnosed ADHD when I was in fourth grade, if that counts. I never really thought of it as a serious kind of thing, it really just takes a certain kind of personal focus.

I mean, you do play guitar because you want to learn how to play it, or do you play guitar because you're compelled to? If you're compelled, you just need to learn to focus completely on your scales. In essence, learn to meditate on everything guitar related.

In my opinion, most personality disorders can be managed. It takes loads of patience, but you need to remember that it's not a crutch. If you haven't focused on your scales to the best of your ability, that's because you haven't taken control of your focus. That's on you, not ADHD.

Take this with a grain of salt, though. I haven't really taken the time to learn my scales, either. :/
Quote by Pettah
or your just lazy.. or easily bored. Just cause you got a few symptoms doesnt mean your sick at all :P

I just have to say that its not an disease. You dont catch it, and it doesnt go away. I would say its a mental illness, but this word is connected with loonies and mental institutions.

With the recent techonology changes and the awareness there are alot more ADHDs that youd think. If someone has a symptom he should go and get tested.
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
The first step to solving your problem with ADHD is

I lol'd. Permission to sig?

Also, OT: I don't have any type of attention condition, so I'm not of much help. However, I have a friend who has ADHD and he is incredible at playing the guitar, he's one of those born-with-talent SOBs.

Anyway, I'm sure with practice and time you can figure out the best way to practice.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
i have adhd, i found guitar was the one thing i could focus on but that came after a LOT of what you're dealing with. learning music i already knew and relating it to the theory helped alot. Try learning something simple in whatever key you're trying to memorize to start, then another song in the same key, then another. After a while it will probably start to sink in, thats really the best help i can give as it's what worked for me.
In my experience, people who suffer from ADHD can usually find something that they can wholly dedicate themselves to, and once they find that thing everything else seems to fall into place. As Z4 mentioned above, guitar was his thing, and judging from his posts he can probably focus at work and think out problems. He may have ADHD but has employed the proper coping mechanisms so it doesn't affect him too much.

I'm also reminded of a kid at school who had ADHD. He started swimming lessons, and dedicated himself completely to that. Once he started swimming he calmed down a lot and was able to focus at school.

Anyway TS, assuming that you have actually been diagnosed with ADHD rather than a self-google diagnosis, shouldn't you have been taught/coached in coping mechanisms? Extra help in certain areas of school? Considering neuro-psyc treatment? That sort of stuff.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by eGraham
I lol'd. Permission to sig?

Also, OT: I don't have any type of attention condition, so I'm not of much help. However, I have a friend who has ADHD and he is incredible at playing the guitar, he's one of those born-with-talent SOBs.

Anyway, I'm sure with practice and time you can figure out the best way to practice.

Permission granted.

EDIT:
Also, +1 to this:

Quote by z4twenny
i have adhd, i found guitar was the one thing i could focus on but that came after a LOT of what you're dealing with. learning music i already knew and relating it to the theory helped alot. Try learning something simple in whatever key you're trying to memorize to start, then another song in the same key, then another. After a while it will probably start to sink in, thats really the best help i can give as it's what worked for me.
"When words fail, the guitar speaks."
-George Szell
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Nov 20, 2011,
You have a difference between ADHD and just not wanting to focus.
I once was tested on it, and the test came out negative.
I just chose not to behave, that's boring.
In my opinion, most personality disorders can be managed. It takes loads of patience, but you need to remember that it's not a crutch. If you haven't focused on your scales to the best of your ability, that's because you haven't taken control of your focus.
You're not alone haha, I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 9, and this year (I'm 17) I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, so if I happen to go into mania, my already hyperactive as $H1t mind and body go faaarrrrkkiinnnggg crazy, and I play guitar better, but still get distracted REALLY easy, because I actually find it painful to sit still for longer than like 2 minutes, I need to be doing something exciting, constantly.
You said you'll never be younger than you are tonight.
Now I've never felt weaker in all of my life.
You said it's only a one off, only a line.
But, now it's a circle all of the time.
Quote by Standarduser
When i try to practice my scales, i play like "A Bb C" and thetcetera

Fix'd. You're welcome.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Dec 5, 2011,
I'm bipolar-adhd. When I take my medicine I can play nonstop. Otherwise, I'll noodle for a bit and get bored. ADHD is a curse and a gift.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Alot of modern music drives me nuts b/c its the same 4 chords for 3 minutes, i get bored listening to it.
I was diagnosed as ADD (rather than ADHD) as a pre-teen. My parents decided to take me off the Ritalin almost immediately, and my father was skeptical of the diagnosis. A significant amount of the associated symptoms could concievably be chalked up to pretty normal behavior for a young male going through puberty, and a general lack of motivation rather than an attention problem per se. Lots of kids lose interest and have their grades slump in middle school and highschool, and quickly get diagnosed with some kind of behavioral disorder, then drugged. I think, at the very least, it's overdiagnosed. But I don't want to get into a debate about the pitfalls of psychiatry and its relation to the pharmacudical industry.

Whether ADD has to do with it or not, I'm concious of the fact that I have a somewhat unusual musical attention span and memory. I've never been able to do what most people would call "practise", in the sense of a structured and disciplined routine that focuses on one thing over and over. I would just start to improvize instead. And in the past, and sometimes in the present (although less so), in the context of my improvization I have had a tendency to fall into an auto-pilot mode in which I'm not focused at all. I just block everything out and play, yet I couldn't be considered "focused" - what I'm doing seems subconcious. The experience itself may be a little hard to convey.
Back when I was a kid... if we did anything like you adhd peoples... we gots ourselves a backhand. And if our parents were good in tennis we'd get the forehand too. I've never been one for buying into adhd and stuff. Some people concentrate, some don't. Boredom sets in in most people and focus flies out the window. I could be having an in depth conversation with someone and if a pretty chick walks past us... uhm... what? Did we finish our conv.....

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. Maybe if the club pro hadn't thrown the chess pieces off the board once i beat him when i was 6, maybe I'd be concentrating more. But then again... it is women i be speaking of. I was told a few times I'm bipolar... also been told I'm a manic depressive. Screw that shit... I'm just a moody bastard so deal with it.

But I do feel for you people who cant concentrate much. Sounds like a real bitch.
Quote by evolucian
Back when I was a kid... if we did anything like you adhd peoples... we gots ourselves a backhand. And if our parents were good in tennis we'd get the forehand too. I've never been one for buying into adhd and stuff. Some people concentrate, some don't. Boredom sets in in most people and focus flies out the window. I could be having an in depth conversation with someone and if a pretty chick walks past us... uhm... what? Did we finish our conv.....

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. Maybe if the club pro hadn't thrown the chess pieces off the board once i beat him when i was 6, maybe I'd be concentrating more. But then again... it is women i be speaking of. I was told a few times I'm bipolar... also been told I'm a manic depressive. Screw that shit... I'm just a moody bastard so deal with it.

But I do feel for you people who cant concentrate much. Sounds like a real bitch.

If adhd didn't exist then ritalin wouldn't have the calming effects on the people who have it, it would do what amphetamines normally do.... which is make you wanna clean house, check the blinds every 30 seconds on the dot and grind your teeth.
You clean house?

pssst: I did say "I'm not saying it doesn't exist." And Ritalin scares me... just saying
Last edited by evolucian at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by evolucian
You clean house?

pssst: I did say "I'm not saying it doesn't exist." And Ritalin scares me... just saying

Oh jesus no, when i was a kid i took it. I didnt like how it made me feel and after a couple months i stopped taking it. I did however know several tweakers growing up and yeah, i noticed some universal things they do.
Iv never gotten on meds, I just get hyper, low attention span, zoning out, ya know the common symptoms you look for. I notice in the morning I can read and spell good.. but in the evening after work im really bad.

I bet You could spot them out in a class room full of kids. there be ones that wont shut up. lol