hi, ive played elec guitar for 3 years and i want to be a bass player aswell, so will my experience in playing electric guitar be any help or do i need to learn a whole load of new things?

i also want to learn to slap and play with fingers- is that going to take a lot of practise?

also one more thing, the bass ive got is a 2nd hand bc rich warlock platinum edition, a friend sold it me for £150 with hard case and amp thrown in too so pretty good deal i reckon, is it the right bass for me cause i want to play heavy metal and i got no doubt it can do that but is it an okay guitar for slap too?
You should know where the notes are on the bass since they are in the same place as the bottom 4 strings on a guitar and understand triads and stuff if you have been playing guitar for 3 years. That will help you but there is diffrent technique, I will let somone who knows more about that talk about that. And yeah, that bass should be fine to learn on. It deppends what kind of heavy metal you are talking about to wether it will be sutable later on. If you're talking about real metal like 80's it won't be that gate but lots of the shitty new "heavy metal" bands it would be fine for. Its pretty much the steriotipical "heavy metal" teenager guitar.
You can slap on any bass providing you have the right set up.

Technically, while slap and fingerstyle are a different technique to most guitar techniques, the act of fretting is the same. The only major difference I would say is important on bass as far as left hand technique goes is the the thumb should really be in the middle of the neck at the back - you don't want it creeping up to the top of the neck like a lot of guitarists seem to.

Thinking like a bass player is where the main difference comes - you need to occupy a different sonic and rhythmical space within the band, fulfilling a different role.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
id say it depends on the level of proficiency you want to reach.
slapping and whatnot is a totally new technique, so that would take as long as it took you to learn how to fingerpick for example on guitar. or longer or shorter, but the point is, you'll be able to do the basics easily, and the further you want to go the more time it'll take
yeah man i want to play slayer megadeth etc and slap like primus and shit so i guess the bc rich isnt the right bass then?
Just forget most of what you know about playing guitar. It's not a guitar, it's a bass. Play it like a bass, not like a guitar with four strings.

And a BC Rich bass is never the right choice.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Doonan
id say it depends on the level of proficiency you want to reach.
slapping and whatnot is a totally new technique, so that would take as long as it took you to learn how to fingerpick for example on guitar. or longer or shorter, but the point is, you'll be able to do the basics easily, and the further you want to go the more time it'll take

However--DO NOT SKIP OVER YOUR BASICS!! Seriously, its a different instrument.

1. You cannot use your flimsy guitar strap--get a decent one with a wide strap.
2. You cannot use your guitar amp. You risk ruining your amp and compromising your sound.
3. Get a metronome and use it. You are a member of the rhythm section now and your timing is critical.
4. Watch your fretting hand technique. This is where so many guitarists (including myself) fail at first. Unless your have huge hands, that thumb is going to be best kept in the center of the neck as a pivot.
Quote by da_
You should know where the notes are on the bass since they are in the same place as the bottom 4 strings on a guitar and understand triads and stuff if you have been playing guitar for 3 years. That will help you but there is diffrent technique, I will let somone who knows more about that talk about that. And yeah, that bass should be fine to learn on. It deppends what kind of heavy metal you are talking about to wether it will be sutable later on. If you're talking about real metal like 80's it won't be that gate but lots of the shitty new "heavy metal" bands it would be fine for. Its pretty much the steriotipical "heavy metal" teenager guitar.

Not trying to make BC Rich sound any better than it is or anything, but you do realize that there are a ton of "metal" bands from the 80s (Including Megadeth and Slayer) that have been seen using BC Rich, right?

Anyway, yeah, knowing guitar should help you on bass a lot, like this guy already said, notes and triads and everything... I learned guitar first too, and it definitely helped me!
I started playing bass about 3 weeks ago after a couple years of guitar. Find some free internet lessons first. Then learn the bass in The Beatles songs like I Want You, With a Little Help From My Friends, Think For Yourself and Rain. Some other bands with good bassists are Cream, Jefferson Airplane, Rush, The Who, and Free.
I learned bass after playing guitar for about 2 years, wasn't hard at all.

Any bass guitar can sound decent when slapped, if it's set up right and you're using the right settings (EQ, etc.).
Professional lurker since 2009.
Not trying to make BC Rich sound any better than it is or anything, but you do realize that there are a ton of "metal" bands from the 80s (Including Megadeth and Slayer) that have been seen using BC Rich, right?

That metal shouldn't have been in quote marks. And yes, I do realise that alot of 80's metal bands used B.C. Rich but, most 80's bands that played B.C. Rich hated them. They would play them because they were indorsed by them. Nowadays if they are still playing them, they are ushally playing there higher end models. I have nothing agenst B.C. Rich. Some of my biggest heros played them. Its just that it is the steriotypical teenager "Metal" guitar for somone who plays shitty new "metal".
Quote by da_

That metal shouldn't have been in quote marks. And yes, I do realise that alot of 80's metal bands used B.C. Rich but, most 80's bands that played B.C. Rich hated them. They would play them because they were indorsed by them. Nowadays if they are still playing them, they are ushally playing there higher end models. I have nothing agenst B.C. Rich. Some of my biggest heros played them. Its just that it is the steriotypical teenager "Metal" guitar for somone who plays shitty new "metal".

Yeah, I really don't know why I used quotation marks back there... haha Anyway, you're probably right. Some of the higher end BC Rich guitars really aren't that bad, but I find that with them, about half of what you're paying for is the crazy shape, and the other half in the quality of the hardware and everything. So basically, you could buy a $400 ESP that is just as good as an $800 BC Rich. Again, not trying to bash the company or anything, but that's pretty much what it boils down to.