Poll: Large picks vs Small picks
Poll Options
View poll results: Large picks vs Small picks
Larger picks win!
12 18%
Smaller picks are better.
38 58%
There is a way to play as good as you normally would on a larger pick (aka both is good).
15 23%
Other answer (please specify)
1 2%
Voters: 66.
Hey guys,

How are you guys doing?
Last time I played my guitar, I dropped one of my guitar picks (and lost it) so I had to grab one of my larger ones and I noticed that I can't shred as well as I used to, or make pinch harmonics properly even with proper finger positions. I use Dunlop Ultex picks because they are able to withtand lots of shredding and pick scraping abuse.
So my question is, are larger picks any different from smaller picks? Or is there a way to play things comfortably with larger picks?
This is my information regarding my rig:
I play a Fender Special Edition Jaguar HH with a BOSS MD-2 on my Line 6 Spider IV 30 amp.
My genre major is heavy metal with a genre minor of blues rock.
I do tons of speed picking with loads of pinch harmonic stuff.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Regards,
WSONG
Larger and thinner picks generally better for strumming

Smaller and fatter picks generally better for picking
look at Petrucci's mini-doc about the jazz 3 on jim dunlop's website pick to see why shredders gravitate to smaller picks
it's all personal preference.
some like large picks, some like small picks.
for example: yngwie plays dunlop delrin 1.5mm, rusty cooley plays dunlop gels 2.0mm, petrucci plays dunlop jazz III and so on...

it really is just a matter of taste.
What?
I use 2mm picks for playing fast
thinner picks are for soft kids who like strumming chords
Pick choice is about preference and desired sound. I like to have small picks because I find it easier to choke up on them.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
Pick choice is about preference and desired sound. I like to have small picks because I find it easier to choke up on them.

This.

I like small, thick picks. I'm more accurate and more comfortable with them.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Thicker picks are easier to control. I really can't understand how some people can play with them bend-o-matic picks.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Paul Gilbert are medium sized picks there a little smaller than a normal pick but there shaped kind of in the jazz 3 style which makes them officially the best pick ever made in the history of mankind un-rivaled

i was being sarcastic, but seriously, they kick ass.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Dunlop Jazz iii Carbon Fiber's, (the black picks) They're awesome, I love the dark sound they have
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Small, thin, and incredibly rigid is what I prefer. Hence why I use max-grip carbon fibre Jazz IIIs now. It's extremely hard for me to use any other pick now unless it's almost the same... I just don't have the same control at all with any other pick.

Why do I find them better? Hmm, good question. I can only speculate and say that, given how good my pick control is, the smallest pick is far more maneuverable. Thin, so it can pluck the strings with less movement; rigid, for less movement without bending on the strings; and small for the pure dexterity.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I always used the regular sized thin pick's but only had a small bit sticking out from my fingers to play. Then I read on UG that most musicians here use a smaller stiffer type pick. So I bought some and admit they work rather well.

As previously stated, it's easier to pinch harmonics and I also have more control it seems. Although I voted for both, I tend to pick with a little stiffy when I can.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
When I started out with guitar, I used the thinnest and biggest picks I could find. I gradually starting getting used to smaller and thicker picks.

Now I play best with the smaller and thicker ones.
ggg1 ggg3

I prefer whatever is the normal size for a pick (small?), about 1 mm thick. But then again I've only ever bought generic picks. Normally I'd want something that lasts long, and sounds good whether you're strumming or picking.

Apart from that, I also have a 2~ mm pick which I like to mess with
Professional lurker since 2009.
Red Jazz III's have worked wonders for me.
I swap to them and my playing got significantly more awesome.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
ULTEX Sharps for me which are regular size, i love their tone on an acoustic. I use a 2mm for 6 string acoustics and a 1.14mm for 12strings. i used Jazz IIIs at one point but couldnt use the small ones, they would get lost in my thumb size...have a large thumb and it leaves little room for strumming.
Quote by Dayn
Small, thin, and incredibly rigid is what I prefer. Hence why I use max-grip carbon fibre Jazz IIIs now. It's extremely hard for me to use any other pick now unless it's almost the same... I just don't have the same control at all with any other pick.

Why do I find them better? Hmm, good question. I can only speculate and say that, given how good my pick control is, the smallest pick is far more maneuverable. Thin, so it can pluck the strings with less movement; rigid, for less movement without bending on the strings; and small for the pure dexterity.

mmm carbon sounds tasty, do they last long ?

Anyways:
The vs thing is pointless , you use what you like, try out everything and use whats comfortable and gets you the tone and results you want.
I use Dava Gel Picks , Dava Jazz Picks and Dava Precision Points (really cool for string skippin)
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 22, 2011,
Btw anyone has a suggestion for an extremely durable , sharp and smooth pick (dont like metal beacause of the scratchy sound)
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
I'm a fan of small, pointy, thin yet solid picks. So the poly gel Dava Jazz Grip picks I use are perfect for me, and they seem to be very durable.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
I'm a fan of small, pointy, thin yet solid picks. So the poly gel Dava Jazz Grip picks I use are perfect for me, and they seem to be very durable.

hhh i have every single pick Dava makes :P
love them all except the rock control ones..
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Quote by Slashiepie
hhh i have every single pick Dava makes :P
love them all except the rock control ones..

Yeah I'm exactly the same. They're harder to find here in the UK, had to go on ebay for the jazz grip ones. And yeah those rock control picks are a bit weird - they feel wrong and they sound wrong.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by llBlackenedll
Yeah I'm exactly the same. They're harder to find here in the UK, had to go on ebay for the jazz grip ones. And yeah those rock control picks are a bit weird - they feel wrong and they sound wrong.

hh you are my clone!! INDEED! The rock control sound so crappy and feel like a cheap picece of plastic, dunno who would use them and how..

hhh i ordered them directly from the US, they also ship you a random pick for free per order. I noticed that the last month they started to sell them in germany though.
http://www.thomann.de/de/dava_plektren.html
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 24, 2011,
Tortex 1.14s or gator grips, a Jazz III 10% of the time for shredding. I use thin picks on the telecaster. I used to like using old style picks with no girth but I got over that after I broke it... I don't care much for the ultex or celluloids just because they slip into awkward positions... No I never learned how to pick correctly.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Tortex 1.0s are what I usually use, although GC has some Ice Picks that are made of metal that I've been wanting to try.