Page 1 of 2
So, dancing. I can't do it. Of every social/wedding etc event I've always sat awkwardly on the sidelines or coaxed up to the dance floor, just stood there and tapped my feet, only to retreat a few seconds later.

Even though I'm a musician, I find it really hard to dance, my body simply feels awkward to move. I'm curious to see if I'm the only musician who hates to/can't dance or if it's something that partly stems from being a musician.

I'm more into jazz, prog stuff, and a lot of the music that gets played at socials and weddings is usually far too loud for me, and really not music I like (Guy Sebastian, Justin Bieber, Party Rock Anthem, Maroon 5, etc), Pop music. I feel like I'm more like the old beboppers, don't dance to music!

That said though I'd much rather be up there dancing than sitting back in the seats like a loner (foreveralone.jpg), but I always feel so awkward and silly dancing. Any tips on what to do about this?
you gotta dance bro. whenever you can. start off in your own home. and also get drunk.
Mmm...Dancing just isn't me. I cna't dance and don't dance at parties or anything. There's a few guys that just don't. It's just not me. If anyone on here knew me in real life, they'd understand, but nah, that's just not me
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Quote by frankv
I'm a horrible dancer. I used to not do it all, but over the years I've grown to not care about the music they play anymore and just loosen up. No one's expecting you to be Michael Jackson, so I dunno, just accentuate the rhythm with your flailing limbs.

This

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I have the same kind of thing, where I just won't move in time to a song that I can't stand. Weddings and clubs are great places to find music that I can't stand to hear, so I won't be doing any dancing there. Period.

When invited onto the floor, an adamant, "No, thank you", is all you usually get from me. I will not be mistaken for somebody that actually likes to hear "Celebration" or "Baby Got Back".

I will shake my ass and boogie otherwise. Especially when it's Sly and the Family Stone or The Meters. How can you not move to something like that?
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
I can't really make clear what kind of dances you are willing to learn, but there's quite some bit of videos on YouTube that give tips and lessons on dancing. Maybe you should take a look there. I pretty much know how you feel, but I actually learned dancing some bit. Hehe.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Quote by Jazz Funeral
I have the same kind of thing, where I just won't move in time to a song that I can't stand. Weddings and clubs are great places to find music that I can't stand to hear, so I won't be doing any dancing there. Period.

When invited onto the floor, an adamant, "No, thank you", is all you usually get from me. I will not be mistaken for somebody that actually likes to hear "Celebration" or "Baby Got Back".

I will shake my ass and boogie otherwise. Especially when it's Sly and the Family Stone or The Meters. How can you not move to something like that?

Or a fun and easy-going guy.

Also, I find the idea that you cannot dance because you are a "musician" utterly stupid.
Some people dance, some don't. You obviously don't. Either get lessons, practice or get used to leaning against a wall.

EDIT: And for God's sake, don't drunk dance. It only makes you look like an even bigger fool, then everybody will laugh at you.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Last edited by BeefWellington at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by vagelier
you gotta dance bro. whenever you can. start off in your own home. and also get drunk.

This. Geting drunk is probably the best advice
Quote by red157
Getting killed is an occupational hazard when you're an armed robber.

Quote by Random88
Drunk birds falling over? Sounds like Glasgow

'The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.'

- Jimi Hendrix
Leaning against a wall and enjoying a drink is far better than the party host going "Hey everyone! Lets play a dancing game! You dance and every time I clap, you'll change your partner! Yes, you too, the guy leaning against the wall and enjoying his drink, come on! Don't be shy now, come oooooooon, its gonna be fun!"

Then you proceed accidentally stomping the girls' feet and its not ****ING FUN... NOT EVEN A BIT
Quote by frankv
Or a fun and easy-going guy.

I am a fun and easy-going guy, and anybody that doesn't think so will be murdered in their sleep.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
I'd love to know how to ballroom dance, however none of that will be needed in the rest of my high school life, not even prom, because the music they play is such utter crap. That being said, I just bounce around like everyone else and have fun with my friends. Don't think about the music and think more about being social with your friends while there's loud white noise.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I dont really dance, i dont enjoy it nor do I understand why anyone does but each to their own. I move around on stage though.
I don't dance either - at parties whenever people go and dance I always say "no no not for me I'll just stay where I am" then my friends/girlfriend drag me onto the dance floor and proceed to take the piss of my complete inability to dance. As a result, I'm EXTREMELY self-conscious about it.

I dunno, I think some people are just naturally good at that sort of thing and others aren't. While I'm much more of a metal guy I do like dance music but I just can't really let the music dictate the way I move like a lot of people can. Maybe one day that'll change but I can't see how
Just move to the dance, relax and have fun Plus the chicks dig it because it shows that you have confidence!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Dancing lessons! Jeez, how white is UG - that shit is fine if you are learning to do the waltz or something, but in a club you either have natural rhythm and confidence or you don't. You can't learn that stuff.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Jazz Funeral

Video at 6
I used to be exactly like you.
Now tho, I just put on some dance/techno music in my room, and just try to move with the music, don't stop if you feel stupid, just try to get really into the music, and if your movements are clunky and forced at first, keep at it, they'll get better and smoother the longer you do it, I'm nowhere near confident enough in my abilities to dance in public yet, but I'm waiting for the day someone invites me onto the dance floor, and I shock everyone by actually accepting XD
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
Let me lay it on the line for you

Well I'm the king of the swingers oh, the jungle VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop and that's what's bothering me

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
99% of people dance like a twat, so you don't need to worry that you'll look like one, cause you most likely will. Alcohol helps you not to worry about looking like a twat, and over time you won't need alcohol and you can happily dance like a twat sober free.
Quote by BeefWellington

Also, I find the idea that you cannot dance because you are a "musician" utterly stupid.
Some people dance, some don't. You obviously don't. Either get lessons, practice or get used to leaning against a wall.

EDIT: And for God's sake, don't drunk dance. It only makes you look like an even bigger fool, then everybody will laugh at you.

this
cat
Hey guys! I'm a musician but I found something I'm not very good at that I should be a lot better then all my friends. As I play a lot of technical and complex stuff like 7/13 prog and 130 bpm Jazz I should dance really good like a black person. But I don't.

Please, serious answers.
Head banging and pits are the only thing you need... **** dancing
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Quote by The9
Head banging and pits are the only thing you need... **** dancing

Nah.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by soccermom
Nah.

Yeah

Quote by The9
Yeah

There's no way you're born 1985.
I was at a wedding recently and it was me with a bunch of drunk guys, who were on the older side (ranging from 30-50) and none of them really knew how to dance, it looked really goofy. But after a few mins I joined in and danced just as goofy and I had a blast.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
There's no way you're born 1985.

Yeah

Page 1 of 2