Hey all,

Sorry if you've been asked this a thousand times but I figured it's time to upgrade my amp from the free one I got with my guitar.

Would you recommend a combo amp such as a Line 6 Spider with all the presets or a Marshall MG, or would I get a better sound from a Head/Cab. If so what do you recommend?

My budget is around £400. I play mainly in my room at the moment so I don't need a mass amount of wattage. I play rock music mainly such as Guns N' Roses and AC/DC as well as some Blues.

Hopefully I've given you guys enough information,
Many thanks.
Last edited by Conorlils at Nov 19, 2011,
skip both of them, if you want a modeling amp get a Fender Vibro Champ XD or a Vox VT
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
could you go used? i definitely think you should skip the head and cab, for that kinda price and a second amp, there wont be much good for you. get a nice combo, just look about sites like thomann
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Seriously, for that price you could go tube.

Look into a Jet City JCA20h or22h and a JCA12s or 24s. Or JCA2112c if you want it in combo form. That will do what you need perfectly

There really is no tone difference between a combo and head/cab version of the same amp (assuming the speaker setup is the same), though with a head/cab you can split up the load when you want to transport it.

Also, the Marshall MG and Line 6 Spider are two of the worst you can get for the money.
Marshall Class 5 and a diecent OD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate