Hi,
It's to upgrade the pickups on my RG1570.

Guitar: Ibanez RG1570 prestige (basswood)
Music style: mostly metal lead/shred stuff, Friedman, Hammett, some Petrucci lately etc.
Amp: no amp, usually I play plugged into a RP355 using headphones.

I've narrowed down to a few options and your opinions will be appreciated:
Bridge humbucker: Tone Zone, D Sonic, Crunch Lab
Neck humbucker: Air Norton, Liquifire

I haven't really tried any of the above except for the Air Norton and probably won't get a chance of trying them out. I loved the Air Norton (really smooth and clear yet kicks butt). I've read that the Liquifire is like the AN with a little more kick.

Regarding the bridge humbucker I really have no idea.
pickups will not effect your tone at all going through a solid state rig like that. only when you start using good tube amps will you notice the difference that swapping pickups make so as Stykerwolf said you might want to look at a tube amp before you go spending cash on pickups

that being said the Dimarzio Crunch lab/liquifire combo is one of the best out there, and every guitar ive played with either of those pickups or indeed both together has sounded very nice indeed
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I play through a tube amp when jamming along with friends. I'm not gotta get one for my home, I sold mine a year ago. I have kids and I play at night. So it was kind of rotting away...
Well, if thats the case, then what amp are you playing through when you jam? If your not using an amp for practice and only the rp with headphones then you shouldn't complain about your tone.

What don't you like around your current tone?
Budget?
Used or new?
Nearest city if used?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Well, if thats the case, then what amp are you playing through when you jam? If your not using an amp for practice and only the rp with headphones then you shouldn't complain about your tone.

What don't you like around your current tone?
Budget?
Used or new?
Nearest city if used?

this

you shouldnt be worried about your tone when youre just practicing, we need to know what amp you're using when you jam
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
When we jam I use a Dual Rectifier. Current tone is just to muddy and unclear. When compared to my other guitar( Jackson dk2m with Seymour Duncan pickups) it just blows.
I want new pickups. Bugdet around 200 bucks.
then i;d suggest the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set still

its probably the best pickup combo i know that you can buy. the only pickups i've found that are as nice IMO are the Tom Anderson custom pickups specifically the HF2 humbuckers and SC1 singlecoils which you cant buy separately.

definitely go for it mate
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
this

you shouldnt be worried about your tone when youre just practicing

???
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks dude, I pretty much have my mind set on them…
Been watching and reading reviews all day...
Quote by shredftw
pickups will not effect your tone at all going through a solid state rig like that. only when you start using good tube amps will you notice the difference that swapping pickups make so as Stykerwolf said you might want to look at a tube amp before you go spending cash on pickups

that being said the Dimarzio Crunch lab/liquifire combo is one of the best out there, and every guitar ive played with either of those pickups or indeed both together has sounded very nice indeed

Body wood makes a massive difference through my RP500. I guess pickups should too, right?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Body wood makes a massive difference through my RP500. I guess pickups should too, right?

yeah this is what I was generally thinking of while reading the thread. basically my pickup change did quite the noticable difference and now I'm swearing by my RP355's tone. sometimes you can't really afford a tube amp or anything so you need something else but with that something else you want your sound as could as it can get
^Well my H-51 is waaaaaay darker than my MH-100, to the extent a patch that sounds good on the MH is horrid and flubby on the H, while something good for the H is thin and shrill for the MH this is in spite of both guitars having the exact same pickups and electronics. The only difference is the H has a TOM bridge, so the pickup is slightly further away from the bridge than the MH, while its neck pup is higher up as the H has 22 frets while the MH has 24.

EDIT: Il put the difference in a nutshell. If you assume the MH is a "normal" guitar, then the H feels like you set bass to 10 and mids and treble to 0 each.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by Vendetta V
yeah this is what I was generally thinking of while reading the thread. basically my pickup change did quite the noticable difference and now I'm swearing by my RP355's tone. sometimes you can't really afford a tube amp or anything so you need something else but with that something else you want your sound as could as it can get

Agreed!
Quote by Dave_Mc
???

if he's just practicing at home for a practice or something it isnt as important to have perfect tone, that was the gist i got from the practicing at home with kids and stuff around

Quote by GS LEAD 5

body wood does for sure, however i have found very much so that the pickups dont. through a POD my Tom Anderson and my friends Strat w/seymour duncan pups in it sound the same, when he has completely different voiced pickups to my guitars
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
if he's just practicing at home for a practice or something it isnt as important to have perfect tone, that was the gist i got from the practicing at home with kids and stuff around

ah ok, yeah, good point

i just thought you meant in general, in which case i'd say anything that makes you want to practise more (i.e. sounding pretty good) is a good thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shredftw

body wood does for sure, however i have found very much so that the pickups dont. through a POD my Tom Anderson and my friends Strat w/seymour duncan pups in it sound the same, when he has completely different voiced pickups to my guitars

Inanez's HD500 showed a difference between his DActivator and a set of Aftermaths he later put in......its subtle though, lemme see if I can dig up that clip
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Inanez's HD500 showed a difference between his DActivator and a set of Aftermaths he later put in......its subtle though, lemme see if I can dig up that clip

im not talking about the HD series POD, just a standard POD. the HD is a hell of a lot better than the RP355 btw, so im not surprised you can hear the difference with that particular solid state hardware/software. its like the AxeFx too, you can tell the difference but only on the really high end modelling. on the Rp355 you wont get the desired amount of difference in tone from buying a set of $200 pickups, especially if that is what you are using to play most of the time

however, the fact that when you practice you are using a tube amp then the money would not go to waste. get the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set, you'll be set for life
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
i have a tonezone in three of my guitars, wolfgangs (yes it is according to info, but it was woud by peavey for exact specs) and Prestige 3550MZ. i like them quite a bit. maybe a 7/10 IMO.

i have the Air Norton in the ibanez, but dont recall what is in the wolfgang has in the neck, and i am pretty sure that the wolfgang is the same too. the guitars sound great.

i would really like to get my hands on a liquifire, as i have heard tons of good feedback. it also seems that the crunch lab is well liked too. unfortunately however pickups are just one of those things you dont get a chance to demo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
unfortunately however pickups are just one of those things you dont get a chance to demo.

yeah, it's a shame. speakers suffer from a similar fate... sure you can do a fair bit of online research and emailing of the companies to narrow it down, but sooner or later you pretty much just have to bite the bullet and take a chance and hope it works out
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am thinking about the Crunch Lab/Liquifire pickups.

Amp : rockerverb 50 with the 2x12 closed back cab(Vintage 30 speakers).

Guitar : Gibson SG standard 74, original pickups(not sure what model)
Guitar2 : Schecter Tempest Standard, Duncan Designed HB-102b/HB-101n

I prefer the sound of my schecter right now, it has a less muddier and more tighter sound then my SG. However i read alot of posts saying that duncan design are crap pickups, it doesnt really matter since im very happy with my current tone, but maybe i can improve it with a pickup switch ?
I don't know whether or not this has been said yet, because I am too lazy to read all the replies :P, but I have experienced a wide variety of guitar pick-ups, most of them being passive, and I started off using a solid state practice amp then switched to a engl half stack. My personal experiences with pickups and solid state equipment is that unless you compare significantly different pickups (eg single coil to emgs) there is next to no difference. I would suggest buying new headphones if you want to change your sound to something more ballsie. :P
On that note what headphones are you using, please don't say apple. :/
Quote by MrJohnFisherman
I don't know whether or not this has been said yet, because I am too lazy to read all the replies :P, but I have experienced a wide variety of guitar pick-ups, most of them being passive, and I started off using a solid state practice amp then switched to a engl half stack. My personal experiences with pickups and solid state equipment is that unless you compare significantly different pickups (eg single coil to emgs) there is next to no difference. I would suggest buying new headphones if you want to change your sound to something more ballsie. :P
On that note what headphones are you using, please don't say apple. :/

I agree with this man, despite his lack of paragraphs.

Why has it got to be DiMarzio anyway?