...when I play sustained notes on frets above the 12th. I'm playing Canon in D and here's some of it.

---14--------------------
-------17--15-14-----------
--------------------16-14--------

All of these are semibreves and I'm using my first finger for the first note. To avoid making it sound stale, I try to use wide vibrato but I find my first finger isn't strong enough.

Any tips on improving my finger strength for that finger?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Instead of using a wide vibrato, try a tasteful quickly oscillating vibrato like in the song.
If you want a strong vibrato use your ring finer and support with the middle and index. Aside from that, practice, and keep finding faster ways of playing the line i.e the least hand movement.
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica (D'addario Flatwound)
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
You do suck. And do you know how to cure sucking? Practice. You're welcome.

Harsh. Its not just about practice, its about proper practice, with guidance. I really think answers like yours should be banned tbh.

-

Back to the threads point.

I'll give you some tips for finger strength as they will help you a lot in the long run. But warm up before you do these.

Trills (rapidly do hammer ons and pull offs between two notes), do these as fast you as can, for as long as you can, with out tensing. Dont worry if its slow and short at fist. do it every day and you will notice improvement.

play scales and chromatic scales purely with hammer ons.

Practice bending with each finger on its own (except maybe the pinky). First do 1/2 bends and then full bends. But dont do this unless you can do a full tone bend with 3 fingers used together, and make sure your bend motion comes from the wrist. This is how I achieved wide vibrato, as well as the ability to do massive bends.

-

Also, never think of your self as sucking. You just have to take things at a good pace. Personally, it sounds to me like Canon Rock may be a little advanced for you right now. But keep practice your techniques, finger strengths and scales and soon enough you will be able to do it.

Quote by Woffelz
...when I play sustained notes on frets above the 12th. I'm playing Canon in D and here's some of it.

All of these are semibreves and I'm using my first finger for the first note. To avoid making it sound stale, I try to use wide vibrato but I find my first finger isn't strong enough.

If you're using your fingers for vibrato you're doing it wrong.

When doing vibrato you need to be locking your fingers in place and getting the vibrato motion from your wrist.

Quote by jkielq91
Also, never think of your self as sucking.

Everyone sucks, we just suck in different ways. If you accept that it becomes much easier to take criticism and keep an accurate inventory of your weaknesses.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 19, 2011,
I wasn't being serious when I said I sucked.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try the hammer on/pull off scales and using the wrist.

Cheers!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
I wasn't being serious when I said I sucked.

I was.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Woffelz

yep only one thing , practice on Acoustic , increases strength rapidly , its like going in secret room with goku to become SSJ2 lol
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Everyone sucks, we just suck in different ways. If you accept that it becomes much easier to take criticism and keep an accurate inventory of your weaknesses.

Every one gets criticized and has weaknesses, but it doesn't mean they suck.
Quote by jkielq91
Every one gets criticized and has weaknesses, but it doesn't mean they suck.

Give me a guitarist and I'll give you a way they suck, there are no exceptions.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Hmm, Neil Young?
Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth.

Genuinely interested in the response, not trolling.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're using your fingers for vibrato you're doing it wrong.

When doing vibrato you need to be locking your fingers in place and getting the vibrato motion from your wrist.

Are you talking for left/right vibrato where you vary between flat/sharp or up/down vibrato where you vary between the note and slightly sharp? Sorry I'm not explaining it well, hopefully you kinda get what I mean.

For all vibrato other than left/right vibrato I use my fingers, it just feels right to me.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Gary Moore
Quote by conor-figgy
Hmm, Neil Young?

Faster playing, metal rhythm, probably jazz comping and classical playing in general.

Quote by Anon17
Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth.

Genuinely interested in the response, not trolling.

Both classical fingerstyle, both metal rhythm, Allan's fast alternate picking is never shown so assumed to be sub-par.

Quote by mrbabo91
Gary Moore

Again, classical fingerstyle, metal rhythm, likely his jazz comping, probably fusion style soloing. Not 100% sure on most of these, I'm not entirely familiar with everything he ever did.

Point is there isn't any one person who can do everything, everyone sucks at something.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
...Guthrie Govan?
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Quote by Tvrtko1
...Guthrie Govan?

As with all the others, classical fingerstyle. Likely to be metal rhythm as well, I wouldn't have thought he'd be much of a death metal player for the most part but I could be wrong. Also true 8 finger tapping in the T J Helmerich/Stanley Jordan style, he says he doesn't really get it so doesn't practice.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
chris broderick is pretty versatile, i'm kinda interested in anything he doesn't have some experience in. tosin abasi as well. though really that post was more of a point-making thing, ofc, i just wanted to contribute to the list of high-profile guitarists

TS: have you had your guitar set up properly? it seems silly but your technique is so much more fluent and you advance and correct yourself much easier on a well-set-up instrument. a little tweaking and a $350 guitar can play like butter.
modes are a social construct
I'd either use a less wide vibrato with only my first finger, or fret the 16 with my pinky and do the wide vibrato using both my index and middle.

Or practice until you develop an insane strength on your index. How much would be "wide" here anyways, a quarter tone, a semitone?
Professional lurker since 2009.