Hey guys. So, my dream has always been an ENGL amp of any kind, really, but I'm not sure if they would be the best in my price range.

I'm looking for something around 50w. It doesn't have to have a ton of features, but I'd like a few. A happy medium. It MUST be tube. Especially with the price range I'm looking at. I'm also looking more for an amp head and a 2x12 cab.

Anyways...

The amp:
50w
1700 USD
Used or new - Doesn't matter.
OK cleans, good distortion.
I'm also hoping for something that can get a wide range of sounds.

The cab:
100w
8 ohm
500 USD
Used or new - Doesn't matter

The cab doesn't have to be fabulous. I'm more looking for something to get me by while I save more money. I live in north-west Iowa, if it matters.

EDIT: I was looking at an ENGL Fireball. (I know it's 100w)

I am also aware that more expensive DOES NOT always mean better, so if there's a great amp out there that will allow me to put more money towards a cab, then that would be fantastic.

EDIT 2: I was also looking at some Fryette amps.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Nov 19, 2011,
I'm buying an ENGL this week myself, and I have been doing a lot of research on the various models.

I was also looking at the Fireball 100, but it doesn't have much for features, and many people say it doesn't have a very tight bottom-end in the distortion. These go for around $1100 used.

The Powerball 2 is leading contender, but most owners have said that while they enjoy the PB2, they really crave the Savage. PB2s go for $1500-$1700 used

The Savage is a 120w, and practically every review raved about the versatility and value of this amp. I haven't really found anyone selling them used, but I know you can get them from MusiciansFriend for around $2100 if you convince a CSR to give you 15% off.

The Thunder is a 50w head that a lot of people compare to the Fireball. It is a no-frills, lower wattage version from what I've read.

I would recommend the Fireball 60 or saving up slightly more and going for the Savage. Personally, I'm not amazed with the sound of the lower wattage amps like the Gigmaster or Screamer. The Fireball has a PB2-ish sound, and the Savage seems to beat them all (even the E670 in my opinion)

As for a cab, go on eBay and you'll find a lot of slightly used 2x12s for $300-$400. Lots of people say V30s + ENGL is a bad combination, but from what I've seen and heard I really think they work well. Just do yourself a favor and do not buy a lower-end cab. That'd be like playing a Custom 24 through a Spider 4 (which, embarrassingly enough, I am guilty of doing at times).

Also, haggle like crazy.
the fireball (60, I haven't tried the newer fireball 100) only really does cleans and brootz, with not much inbetween. it's not the one i'd get for versatility.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no ENGL is really versatile. Even the E670 Special Edition. They are mostly compressed cold metal machines. Clean tones and crunch are thin.

Though, the E650 Blackmore tends to stand out from the bunch, but by a little bit..
i guess it depends on what you mean by versatility, and also on what type of player you are. for someone who mainly plays metal/hard rock, but who also plays other stuff, they're great, and a lot more versatile than, say, a 5150 or a recto.

But I'd agree, I wouldn't recommend one to someone who mainly plays vintage stuff and who only occasionally needs a more modern tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play a lot in the style of CoB, Amon Amarth, The Absence, etc. So yes, modern metal versatility is what I'm going for, but still with decent cleans. However, I own a Peavy Classic 30 for my cleans, so I'm pretty much set. I'm assuming by these answers that ENGL would be a nice choice?
probably, although i'm not terribly familiar with any of those bands (i've heard a wee bit of CoB).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For Amon Amarth, Hughes & Kettner. CoB, you need to be an amp whore: ENGL Special Edition, Krank, Marshall JCM800, etc. For The Absence, Soldanos and a Custom Audio.

Heck, I'd go Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II or a Soldano Decatone.

Splawn QuickRod would be within your budget.
Last edited by Ippon at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by Ippon
For Amon Amarth, Hughes & Kettner. CoB, you need to be an amp whore: ENGL Special Edition, Krank, Marshall JCM800, etc. For The Absence, Soldanos and a Custom Audio.

Heck, I'd go Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II or a Soldano Decatone.

Splawn QuickRod would be within your budget.

So, you're saying a better option would be saving my money for something better like a TriAmp? What about cabs? Any ideas there? Keep in mind, though, I'm looking more for a 50-60w amp.
Get an avatar or whitebox cab. Will run you about 500, but will be friggin epic for the price. As far as the amp, the fireball 100 is a great choice, as it doesn't have the ridiculous scoop that the 60 does. It has more cut. The Blackmore is another great option, or if you can find one, a used PB (I or II). I think the Fireball 100 is gonna be your best option though, at least from Engl.

If you are willing to go outside of engl, a dual recto or Mark IV would work well too. The dual recto would probably get you more of the dist you are looking for, but Marks are just so ****ing sexy its ridiculous
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s