Hey all, my band is playing a gig in a week and we need a 4th song to play.

Currently we are doing:

Technical Difficulties by Racer X
Viking Kong by Racer X
Crystal Planet by Joe Satriani

Preferably no vocals as none of us are singers, and preferably something fairly simple with improvisable solo sections.

One idea was to do Smoke on the Water but do it as a solo exchange similar to the Satch/Vai/Petrucci jam for G3.

The Crying Machine by Steve Vai and Curse of Castle Dragon we were considering but do not think we have time to perfect either of those in a week.

Any ideas welcome, thanks!
Last edited by Random3 at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by Random3
Hey all, my band is playing a gig in a week and we need a 4th song to play.

Currently we are doing:

Technical Difficulties by Racer X
Viking Kong by Racer X

Crystal Planet by Joe Satriani

Preferably no vocals as none of us are singers, and preferably something fairly simple with improvisable solo sections.

One idea was to do Smoke on the Water but do it as a solo exchange similar to the Satch/Vai/Petrucci jam for G3.

The Crying Machine by Steve Vai and Curse of Castle Dragon we were considering but do not think we have time to perfect either of those in a week.

Any ideas welcome, thanks!

Little wing
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by guitar12
Where are you playing?

You should a song people actually know.

It's a showcase event for people who are a part of the jamming and gigging society at my university. It's in the evening at a pub, basically an open mic night but more organised and advertised.

There's us, one other band, and a couple of acoustic/singing acts I believe.
My vote goes for Curse of Castle Dragon. If you improvise a solo there, you'll have it down to near perfection in less than a week, trust me.

By the way, that has to be one of the greatest setlists I've seen, great song choice, Racer X rules!
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Welcome to Bucketheadland
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Man, now that somebody recommended it, I second Welcome to Bucketheadland. A lot of Buckethead songs are simple for every instrument except lead guitar (usually). It's not a hard song to play, but fun, and you can pitch your own solo in pretty easily. I wish I could be there to hear all this.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Man, now that somebody recommended it, I second Welcome to Bucketheadland. A lot of Buckethead songs are simple for every instrument except lead guitar (usually). It's not a hard song to play, but fun, and you can pitch your own solo in pretty easily. I wish I could be there to hear all this.

We will try and get it filmed and I'll put it on my Youtube.

Thanks for the ideas guys we are looking at all of them