First off , I got Fender MIM strat with humbuckers. I went last year from 9 to 10's. I read about the setup and i never touched the truss rod. I did some 'improvements' and they seem to be same as before.

I can't find god damn feelers nor rulers in city, and guitar technicians when i asked them told me they 'setup truss rods and intonation by eye'

That was like wtf...So i used my 1.5 and 0.7mm pick to adjust the height etc.

1.I tightened the the truss rod for 1/4 of turn right.
2.Lowered a bit pickup height.
3.Tried lowering action but if i lower more than 1.6mm high e string when bended on 15th fret or 17th seems to touch some fret and i lose tone.Same with other strings.(This was happening even before i tightened truss rod)
4.Tightened the 2 screws in bridge cavity.
5. Now problem comes with intonation, when I intonate guitar saddles are close to each other, almost like in a perfect row. But on tuner. There's no difference when i play 12th fret or do 12th fret harmonic.

How can i lower god damn action and is this intonation good?
Quote by Fafarona
First off , I got Fender MIM strat with humbuckers. I went last year from 9 to 10's. I read about the setup and i never touched the truss rod. I did some 'improvements' and they seem to be same as before.

I can't find god damn feelers nor rulers in city, and guitar technicians when i asked them told me they 'setup truss rods and intonation by eye'

3.Tried lowering action but if i lower more than 1.6mm high e string when bended on 15th fret or 17th seems to touch some fret and i lose tone.Same with other strings.(This was happening even before i tightened truss rod)
5. Now problem comes with intonation, when I intonate guitar saddles are close to each other, almost like in a perfect row. But on tuner. There's no difference when i play 12th fret or do 12th fret harmonic.

Unfortunately action can be dictated by dodgy fretwork on lower end guitars. Also, what's the radius on the board? Small radii can cause fret-outs with whole step bends regardless of how good the fret-work is.

The intonation is good (not perfect: perfect intonation is impossible on normal guitars. You'd need THIS) if the harmonic and fretted 12th fret note are the same as detected by a tuner. No offense but if you can't set up your own guitar I'm guess you haven't been playing long enough to set intonation by ear. Do it with a tuner.

And setting action and truss rods by eye is a completely common practice, by the way. Setting intonation by ear is something most folks don't have a sensitive enough ear to do.
Quote by Fafarona

what pick fits in the middle gap when you fret the Low E on the first and last fret, where the neck and body meet?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by lumberjack
Unfortunately action can be dictated by dodgy fretwork on lower end guitars. Also, what's the radius on the board? Small radii can cause fret-outs with whole step bends regardless of how good the fret-work is.

The intonation is good (not perfect: perfect intonation is impossible on normal guitars. You'd need THIS) if the harmonic and fretted 12th fret note are the same as detected by a tuner. No offense but if you can't set up your own guitar I'm guess you haven't been playing long enough to set intonation by ear. Do it with a tuner.

And setting action and truss rods by eye is a completely common practice, by the way. Setting intonation by ear is something most folks don't have a sensitive enough ear to do.

Been playing for a year. I think there is nothing to be ashamed of not knowing and wishing to learn. I don't really trust into hands of technicians. Not only for guitars ( where most of those i got recommended are alcoholics who when drunk scratch guitars), but had serious problems with computer techs replacing my pc parts with crap. I'm not that trusty or more of a 'do it yourself , you got hands' type.
My neck radius is 7.25 or something like that. Mexican strats got old 'radius'
I don't know about the frets, none seems to be worn out. I guess.

I read on Internet when saddles are in 'row' with each other that i have done something wrong. But. It seems ok just like the instructions said. Tune string, harmonic at 12th fret, play 12th fret, if its sharper, then turn the screw to clockwise to move the saddle back, if its flat then the other way. Retune and repeat..Done that, and saddles are almost in a row.

@jj1565

When I put Fender Medium (that is 0.70 mm ) it a bit moves the string up.
Quote by Fafarona

@jj1565

When I put Fender Medium (that is 0.70 mm ) it a bit moves the string up.

add a little more relief, and see if the guitar's playability improves.

1/4 turn counter clockwise.
dont force the turn and let it settle in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Sometimes 1/4 turn doesnt do anything, like if there was little or no pressure on it yet. Cautionsly make more adjustments. Find something straight to compare with the neck so you can see when your adjusments are doing something.

Sometimes the truss rod adjustments have more effect on one end of the neck than the other, due to some irregularity in the wood, making it difficult (if not impossible) to remove the fret problems using only adjustments to the relief. It's kind of unlikely unless the guitar has had some serious abuse or neglect. If that is the case, you could do some fret leveling.
I don't understand now anything. I switched from 9's to 10's and i should put more relief on neck O.o , the gap with the pick and the 8th fret was a bit higher when i didnt turn truss rod for 1/4 clockwise. I don't get anything... Neck should be almost straight, or not? :s
By logic thickers strings pull more neck and it needs to be tightened to counter act the force...
( But i got problems with higher frets with bending, so i need more relief or straightness? )

Now if i do it i should move the neck 2 times on the left for 1/4 ( since i had problems when i didn't change it clockwise for 1/4 )
Quote by Fafarona
I don't understand now anything. I switched from 9's to 10's and i should put more relief on neck O.o , the gap with the pick and the 8th fret was a bit higher when i didnt turn truss rod for 1/4 clockwise. I don't get anything... Neck should be almost straight, or not? :s
By logic thickers strings pull more neck and it needs to be tightened to counter act the force...
( But i got problems with higher frets with bending, so i need more relief or straightness? )

Now if i do it i should move the neck 2 times on the left for 1/4 ( since i had problems when i didn't change it clockwise for 1/4 )

i know what you're thinking, and usually yes, if you go from 9-10, you'll get more relief.

unless you took off all the strings when changing gauge.

but even if that wasnt the case, you need to understand that some guitars, just need the extra room in the middle to compensate for a high fret.

yes, some guitars play excellently with a pin straight neck, but there's no harm in adding a little relief and seeing if it improves playability.

if not, you can always turn it back.
and get the fret worked on for about $20 per.

if the bridge is balanced, you already tried raising the saddles, and that just makes the action feel high,
then you'll want to try adjusting the neck, because that's the next thing to try.

after that, would be working on a couple of the frets, or perhaps a neck shim.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I think I'll take it to a guy who's making custom guitars and pickups,many of popular guitarists are having their guitar setup there...But before , i'll try adding relief...

Question

If i add more relief, does that mean that action at lower frets will be higher than on high frets

(for example string height at 5th fret greater than at 18th...)
Quote by Fafarona
I think I'll take it to a guy who's making custom guitars and pickups,many of popular guitarists are having their guitar setup there...But before , i'll try adding relief...

Question

If i add more relief, does that mean that action at lower frets will be higher than on high frets

(for example string height at 5th fret greater than at 18th...)

if you had, had back bow, then adding relief, would release the first few frets.
but you don't have a backwards bowed neck so...

if you were add a little relief, it will just add a little room at the middle of the board.
that's it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62