so i just got a schecter c8 blackjack and im having some difficulty tuning the 7th and 8th string... I have a boss tu3 tuner so its clearly capable of handling the beast, but my problem is when I strike the note and let it ring out it starts really sharp then slowly comes down to around the note Im trying to tune to... so should I be tuning my initial strike? or should I tune the note to where it comes to rest at(this is difficult because it fluctuates and doesnt seem precise)?

Also I have never had locking tuners. Should I lock these only when I put new strings in? then tune? or do I tune then lock once Im in tune? If I find a note out of tune should I unlock my tuners then retune then lock?

thanks for the help people!
Put new strings in, lock, tune.

As for how to tune: Select the neck pup, roll down the guitar's tone-pot all the way. That should minimize your problem.
Quote by xtreme1

Also I have never had locking tuners. Should I lock these only when I put new strings in? then tune? or do I tune then lock once Im in tune? If I find a note out of tune should I unlock my tuners then retune then lock?

thanks for the help people!

That's not how locking tuners work. Usually you pull the new string through the tuning peg and hold it tight. As you turn the tuning key it starts to clamp down and lock. The locking feature doesn't lock anything in place it just allows you to have minimal string wrap around the tuning peg, reducing the possibility of friction. You can't unlock them, they behave exactly like standard tuners except when changing strings.

If you're referring to a locking nut however......
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by Dilberto
That's not how locking tuners work. Usually you pull the new string through the tuning peg and hold it tight. As you turn the tuning key it starts to clamp down and lock. The locking feature doesn't lock anything in place it just allows you to have minimal string wrap around the tuning peg, reducing the possibility of friction. You can't unlock them, they behave exactly like standard tuners except when changing strings.

If you're referring to a locking nut however......

no im referring to a locking tuning peg and the ones by schecter you actually screw in and out with your hand... I believe...
Quote by xtreme1
no im referring to a locking tuning peg and the ones by schecter you actually screw in and out with your hand... I believe...

I just had a quick look. They look much like Sperzel locking tuners. If you were to unlock the tuner, the string would fall straight out. Locking them does not stop you from turning the tuning key, once the string is locked into the slot they behave exactly the same as a non-locking tuning peg. Here's a demo -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGbtlnUiadc&feature=related
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.