Hey all, I'd like to start my first guitar project. I'm not sure which guitar would be a better choice to hot rod. I'd like to play some metal, and I know I can put any pickup in this thing, so I don't really care about body style or brand. Budget is cheap.

I'm looking at Squiers and lower end RG's. Any other recommendations? Agiles?

Thanks!
Squier's always a good bet, one of my bandmates has a showmaster and the neck's really nice
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Westfield E1000s are good guitars for £80-120
Harley Bentons from thomann.de are also good value guitars
with some decent pick ups and perhaps a new neck, you could easily make something pretty awesome for under £250
Whatever turns up on Craigslist. Why buy a cheap new guitar to gut when the same money might get you an excellent older Japanese or Korean guitar to gut? My last project guitar was a MIJ Charvel that I paid $40 for!
pacifica 112?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pacifica 112?

+1

Good necks on those cheapos. Squire, the Pacifica, lower end Agiles, low end ESP's etc. are all decent options.
I guess patience is a virtue. I'll just have to bide my time and look for a good deal. Pawn shops are proving pretty shitty around here.
If you want to really do the whole DIY thing, grab a battered MIM Fender off eBay or craigslist or whatever. Or even buy necks and bodies separately.
Douglas and Agiles would be perfect for this. Im personally wanting an AL-2000 and a Douglas Spad to mod.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Douglas and Agiles would be perfect for this. Im personally wanting an AL-2000 and a Douglas Spad to mod.

I'm actually looking into the Spad in natural finish right now.. I'm just wondering if it's worth the $130 gamble... So many reviews point to a quality product, but I'm just not certain...
pouring money into a POS guitar does not make it a great one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

What denotes it a POS? The price? Or is it your personal experience with a Douglas/Agile guitar?
just any cheap shit guitar, putting loads of money into them does not elavate them into a great guitar.

you could use the money you put into it and just buy a solid guitar to start with,

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
just any cheap shit guitar, putting loads of money into them does not elavate them into a great guitar.

you could use the money you put into it and just buy a solid guitar to start with,

Some people might enjoy taking a guitar and making it their own.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Tom 1.0

So, enlighten me. What does one have to spend on a "solid" guitar? By your logic, if I put money into any guitar not considered solid, it's still a POS. Please tell me how much I need to spend in order to not have a POS.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, I just want to know how much you think I need to spend.
Last edited by DBz Hertz at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by DBz Hertz
By your logic, if I put money into any guitar not considered solid, it's still a POS.

"By his logic?" This is a true statement. First off, just to get this out of the way, you cannot increase the value of an instrument by modding it. Plain and simple. I know that this wasn't brought up, but it is something you should know. Plus, many mods will decrease the value of the instrument.

So back on topic, there's no hard minimum threshold for quality gear. Douglas's, Xavieres and Agiles south of $300 are all going to be average quality at best. Plus, buying online means you don't get to pick your individual guitar, either. And quality varies greatly between individual instruments in the same model. Plus with the differences in quality between companies it can be pretty hard to nail down a minimum amount you must spend. A $300 Squier is massively better than a comparably priced BC Rich.

That being said, if you are trying to make a guitar that you plan on using extensively, don't try and "project it", just buy the best guitar that you can get on the budget of your project. By best, I mean the only that you like the most and fits for you.

If you are doing a project for the sake of doing a project, that is a different matter. I'd recommend getting a guitar kit from Guitarfetish.com or a similar site, that way you can learn more about what it's like to build a guitar.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by DBz Hertz
I'm actually looking into the Spad in natural finish right now.. I'm just wondering if it's worth the $130 gamble... So many reviews point to a quality product, but I'm just not certain...

Just check the review section also look at agileguitarforum.com in the douglas section. If you go into the archives you will find that the Spads are the most popular douglas guitar. Plus there are lots of videos on youtube of people using them.
Quote by kangaxxter
"By his logic?" This is a true statement. First off, just to get this out of the way, you cannot increase the value of an instrument by modding it. Plain and simple. I know that this wasn't brought up, but it is something you should know. Plus, many mods will decrease the value of the instrument.

This should not be news to anyone. I'm couldn't care less about the future value of the instrument. I'm concerned about playability.

Quote by kangaxxter

So back on topic, there's no hard minimum threshold for quality gear. Douglas's, Xavieres and Agiles south of $300 are all going to be average quality at best. Plus, buying online means you don't get to pick your individual guitar, either. And quality varies greatly between individual instruments in the same model. Plus with the differences in quality between companies it can be pretty hard to nail down a minimum amount you must spend. A $300 Squier is massively better than a comparably priced BC Rich.

That being said, if you are trying to make a guitar that you plan on using extensively, don't try and "project it", just buy the best guitar that you can get on the budget of your project. By best, I mean the only that you like the most and fits for you.

If you are doing a project for the sake of doing a project, that is a different matter. I'd recommend getting a guitar kit from Guitarfetish.com or a similar site, that way you can learn more about what it's like to build a guitar.

Gotcha.
Quote by Tom 1.0

Money could easily be wasted, but personal effort can do miracles. Of course, if you dont enjoy the work, you would be happier wasting the money. Things like straightening a warped neck are possible but no-one in their right mind would pay someone to do it.
Quote by RebuildIt
Money could easily be wasted, but personal effort can do miracles. Of course, if you dont enjoy the work, you would be happier wasting the money. Things like straightening a warped neck are possible but no-one in their right mind would pay someone to do it.

I am definitely in this for the personal growth aspect. I want a cheap guitar that I can mod short of any major work. I feel comfortable with learning how to change pickups, adjust action, and eventually learning the truss rod, but I just need something cheap to experiment with.

For me, in this instance, cheap is $300 or less. The top two guitars I'm looking at are the Ibanez RG321 and the Douglas Spad Pro.

Both are similar in price at around $250 shipped. The Douglas seems to offer more. I'm on the fence, that's for sure.

I'm contemplating buying the Douglas and returning it if it doesn't meet my approval. The most I'll lose is $25 in shipping costs. I can compare the guitar directly with the Ibanez at my local shop.
Quote by twxj97

Both are similar in price at around $250 shipped. The Douglas seems to offer more. I'm on the fence, that's for sure.

I'm contemplating buying the Douglas and returning it if it doesn't meet my approval. The most I'll lose is $25 in shipping costs. I can compare the guitar directly with the Ibanez at my local shop.

Actually Kurt will refund you the shipping if you have to return. Plus the Spad Pro has a mahogany body where as the RG is Basswood. Plus the 321 is bolt on neck and the spad has a set neck that honestly feels like it has no heel at all. Also in my opinion Tunomatics are better than the fender style hard tails. Also if you get the spad this would be a great upgrade for it. http://www.guitarfetish.com/SOLID-BRASS-Black-locking-Tuneomatic-bridge-locking-Saddles-ALL-BRASS-_p_4220.html
Quote by Darkdevil725
Actually Kurt will refund you the shipping if you have to return. Plus the Spad Pro has a mahogany body where as the RG is Basswood. Plus the 321 is bolt on neck and the spad has a set neck that honestly feels like it has no heel at all. Also in my opinion Tunomatics are better than the fender style hard tails. Also if you get the spad this would be a great upgrade for it. http://www.guitarfetish.com/SOLID-BRASS-Black-locking-Tuneomatic-bridge-locking-Saddles-ALL-BRASS-_p_4220.html

I can actually afford that upgrade. That would be a nice first project.

Thanks for the helpful comment. The pro-Spad pile is stacking up. It looks like it'll be the one I buy.
if i were you, pick up a MIM strat. $200-$250 everyday around here.

the reason i am saying that over what everybody else is saying is that there are a lot more mods out there and parts for them. you can sell the pickups out of the MIM for a little bit if you wanted to. you could make it HSH if you wanted to potentially throw a bucker in the neck,just a possibility needing a rounter and five minutes. those pickguards come in tons of colors so you can do it that way. they were at their best in the mid 90's for MIM's from my opinion, i have had 7 or 8 of them at least and i finally found my keeper. the only reason i had so many was that they were the result of trades. i never did own more than three at the same time, and most often one or two.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if i were you, pick up a MIM strat. $200-$250 everyday around here.

the reason i am saying that over what everybody else is saying is that there are a lot more mods out there and parts for them. you can sell the pickups out of the MIM for a little bit if you wanted to. you could make it HSH if you wanted to potentially throw a bucker in the neck,just a possibility needing a rounter and five minutes. those pickguards come in tons of colors so you can do it that way. they were at their best in the mid 90's for MIM's from my opinion, i have had 7 or 8 of them at least and i finally found my keeper. the only reason i had so many was that they were the result of trades. i never did own more than three at the same time, and most often one or two.

I actually had an MIM a few years ago and regret selling it. I would prefer a Strat because there are so many options, I just can't find them anywhere on eBay or Craigslist for that low a price. I can find them in the classifieds?

I love Strats. I owned new Sienna Sunburst American, but I had to let it go.
To the OP's original question, my thought was a MIM HSS Strat. It has a real wood body, nice neck and decent hardware for the money. You can shield cavities, upgrade pups & bridge/nut and have a really nice sounding guitar. Add a coil tap to whatever humbucker you decide to get and you're talking a very versatile instrument. Somewhere along the line you can upgrade to some nice locking tuners.

As for "too cheap" of a guitar my criteria is around the basic structure. While the MIM Strat body is comprised of several pieces of wood ("Select Hardwoods") it's at least solid wood. But a guitar that's made of plywood or pressed wood/fiberboard or veneered with "Foto Flame" is where I'd personally draw the line and are what I consider "too cheap".
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by twxj97
I actually had an MIM a few years ago and regret selling it. I would prefer a Strat because there are so many options, I just can't find them anywhere on eBay or Craigslist for that low a price. I can find them in the classifieds?

I love Strats. I owned new Sienna Sunburst American, but I had to let it go.

for the last few months around here the market is saturated with strats. only so many people buying strats off of my CL, and everybody is looking to sell them. a lot of the listings are repeated over and over, until they just need the money and offer $50 less, they will take it a good part of the time.

look on TGP (the gear page) go to the classified section i am sure some people are dumping them off of there for dirt cheap. quite a bit of the people are kind of snobby and jerks so i never actually post anywhere but in the classified section.

look on HC (harmony-central) again classfied.

and one tactic that i tried recently put a really nice guitar in my hands.

here is what i posted on CL "WTB your Gibson $600 cash in hand" i had a dozen offers by the next day and i picked a Gibson Gothic V w/OHSC for $550.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
pacifica 112?

only thing there is when you go to replace the pickguard,it's not too easy to find - its shaped different than a strat. I found one company in the UK that makes 'em - with no electronics included
ah ok, yeah that's a good point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you have about $200-$300 You could get an ibanez Gio starter kit. I played one for a few months and also owned a squier stratocaster for two years. The gio looks like a strat, but feels more solid and manly. You could take out the faceplate and put a prebuilt one from emg on it. And the tuners are a little bit dodgy, but nothing major. So long as you don't f-ck it up, it should be all good.
Eat a dick cunts

METALLICA

Cunts f#cked, Ya hear?

METAL MOTHERFU#ERS!

The Yamaha Pacifica 112V is a high quality guitar for very little cash. It is a step up from the 012 & 112J models. It's a fat Strat clone with a twist. It has a solid alder body, alnico V pickups, decent tuners and a decent tremolo unit. The coil tap humbucker at the bridge is mounted into the body rather than into a plastic pickguard. It gives it a unique look but is done for tonal reasons. The neck profile is a 13.75" and it has medium jumbo frets. I bought a 112V from an online dealer after picking up a beat up Pacifica 012 as a project. I loved the feel of the neck and the stock pickups were decent. My 112V was a display model in mint condition. I got it for less than $200 shipped with a nice Yamaha gig bag.

For the record, I owned many nice electric guitars over the years: USA made Charvel Model 4, USA made Kramer Baretta, USA made BC Rich Gunslinger, a USA made Carvin DC127, a USA made Carvin Bolt, several USA made Fender Strats and many different imported Kramers, Charvels, Jacksons, Fenders and others. I put the Yamaha Pacifica on the same level as the best imports I owned (Made in Mexico Strats are probably the best comparison). I am amazed at the quality of these inexpensive guitars.
Last edited by edhuddleston at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by edhuddleston
The Yamaha Pacifica 112V is a high quality guitar for very little cash. It is a step up from the 012 & 112J models. It's a fat Strat clone with a twist. It has a solid alder body, alnico V pickups, decent tuners and a decent tremolo unit. The coil tap humbucker at the bridge is mounted into the body rather than into a plastic pickguard. It gives it a unique look but is done for tonal reasons. The neck profile is a 13.75" and it has medium jumbo frets. I bought a 112V from an online dealer after picking up a beat up Pacifica 012 as a project. I loved the feel of the neck and the stock pickups were decent. My 112V was a display model in mint condition. I got it for less than $200 shipped with a nice Yamaha gig bag.

For the record, I owned many nice electric guitars over the years: USA made Charvel Model 4, USA made Kramer Baretta, USA made BC Rich Gunslinger, a USA made Carvin DC127, a USA made Carvin Bolt, several USA made Fender Strats and many different imported Kramers, Charvels, Jacksons, Fenders and others. I put the Yamaha Pacifica on the same level as the best imports I owned (Made in Mexico Strats are probably the best comparison). I am amazed at the quality of these inexpensive guitars.

Nice endorsement!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native