Okay, so I'm in a dilemma.

I put up my Road King on craigslist to see what trade offers I'd get. It's an amazing versatile amp, no doubt, but it seems to almost have a "Jack of all trades, master of none" feel to it. It has some amazing cleans and a wonderful crunch to it, but I've gotta face the fact that I'm still searching for the holy grail of lead tones.

The two offers I've gotten are for a Splawn Quick Rod and a Framus Cobra. The Framus is in great condition and in good hands, and the Quick Rod is completely stock with the factory tubes.

Here's the problem... due to college and scheduling conflicts, I've only got the chance to try either the Quick Rod or the Cobra. It's an annoying situation, and I'm undecided on which amp would fit me better.

I play progressive metal, but also want to be able to get an RHCP tone out of the amp (I have an MXR Micro Boost to use as an OD). So with that being said, I'm feeling like the Cobra would fit my needs better, but I was curious to what everyone else has to say.

EDIT: Speakers being used - 4x12" with V30s

tl;dr - Read the title. Give opinions on each for playing progressive metal and getting a good clean/crunch tone out of it.
Last edited by polishedbullet at Nov 19, 2011,
Well what do you mean by Prog metal? Name some artists, etc.

I would go with the Cobra. Just by looking up sound clips on YT leads me to infer that the Cobra would be a better all around amp for RHCP (though the QR would be better at that) and Prog Metal (the Cobra would rape in that section. QR can do metal, but it's probs not the kind of tone you're after)
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Framus Cobra. The Quick Rod has a very specific, extremely crunchy hot-rod Marshall tone that won't do either genre very well. The Cobra will do prog metal 100X better, and still has a better clean/crunch IMO. The leads are also much fuller and smoother. The Quick Rod is very good at some things, but prog metal and RHCP-esque rock are not those things.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

the cobra head goes here for like 1k€

the road king goes for like 2k€..

I never seen a quick rod here..

good luck!

I trade it for my TriAmp, in great condition!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
For the QR, I'd ask for cash on top.

As far as the Cobra vs Dragon, the Cobra is brighter, with more high Mids while the Dragon is darker, more low Mids, and smoother. Cobra has a bit more Gain, more in-your-face.

I believe AngryGoldfish had a Framus although I'm not sure which. He can pipe in or you can PM him. I had the Cobra for a short while only and wished I went with the Dragon back then. Both love V30 cabs.

You might find the Cobra sounding somewhat close to the Road King (Rectifier). The Quick Rod will be of a different flavor. It's more of a Marshall on steroids. Also, depending on the revision it might have less gain than you expect it to.

Cobra would be a safer choice. Yet, it won't be a "master of all" either.

All of those amps will sound OK with the V30s. That's what the manufacturers test them on.
Neither one of those amps is a good trade value wise. Unless you're getting some cash with them, or your head has some big issues, I would pass on both.

I've never tried a QR, so I can't comment there, but if you want cleans comparable to your RK, I would look elsewhere. Otherwise, it can do great lead sounds... but it's also a completely different voicing than the RK, so it's up to you whether you like the British tone or not. I'm not sure about the QR, but I've had 2 Nitros before and thought the EL-34 version I had sounded like ass with V30s and the KT-88 version sounded great. Just something to consider.

I've owned a Cobra before, they are cool amps. The clean channel is great and should have no problem keeping up with the cleans of the RK. The Crunch channel was my favorite with a boost in front. It was a bit tighter and more focused than the lead channel, which felt a bit overgained to me at times. The amp itself is kind of a cross between a Recto and a 5150. I absolutely loved the tone of it when I got it, but I ended up growing out of it quickly. IMO, the Cobra sounds best with Greenbacks. it was ok with V30s, but it really excelled with its own cab.

Quote by TubeTone
You might find the Cobra sounding somewhat close to the Road King (Rectifier). The Quick Rod will be of a different flavor. It's more of a Marshall on steroids. Also, depending on the revision it might have less gain than you expect it to.

Cobra would be a safer choice. Yet, it won't be a "master of all" either.

All of those amps will sound OK with the V30s. That's what the manufacturers test them on.

GTFO internetz!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
None of those are exactly a fair trade for a Roadking. I'd be looking for an ENGL, Soldano, or an Orange instead, in terms of money value.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
This, for me, is not a competition at all. The Splawn Quick Rod, albeit lacking the suppleness and sweetness of the Cobra's clean channel, walks all over the Framus in crunch and high gain tones. I'd say it's a little smoother for the lead tones as well, with more sustain.

The Cobra has a more liquid-y, Soldano SLO100 vibe to it, with a bright, percussive and deeply enormous tone. But it lacks the dynamics and raw grind of the Quick Rod. The Splawn is a magnificent piece and is, in my opinion, the master of one tone - hard rock.

However, if you want the same versatility as the Road King, but with a more specific voicing, the Cobra will be a better choice. Although the Cobra has quite a few tones within it, the core feeling of the Splawn Quick Rod is just too prominent for it to be able to branch out into the same territories as the Cobra.

Ultimately, though, the Quick Rod, in terms of sound and feel, is quite different to the Framus range. The Splawn is a hot-rodded Marshall and has an extremely cutting high-mid range. The Cobra, however, is deep and modern, with a slightly more scooped mid range.

If you're not into the JCM800/Plexi tones, I'm not going to tell you to avoid the Quick Rod, because it's not a direct replica, but it certainly offers a solid ground to work from.

If you want my opinion on what is the "better amp" - if that is really possible - the Splawn Quick Rod is it. It is more balanced, dynamic and memorable. The Cobra, though, is no slouch, in that is incredibly deep and modern, and even offers the ability to play jazz on it.
Well I think from what I've gathered here and from the clips I listen to, I've narrowed it down to just the Road King (yes, Series 1, Ippon ) and the Cobra. And yeah, I've realized that I'd be trading down so I'd wanna ask for cash on top.

I might just wait to see if any other offers pop up between now and Christmas. I don't wanna just the gun and get the short end of the stick.
Quote by polishedbullet
I've always had my eye on an Axe FX, too bad I don't have any way to run it through a board or power amp at the moment. :/

But with that being said, I'd love to own a Baron. *COUGH*COUGH*KYLE*COUGH*COUGH

You could just plug headphones into it/run it into your computer for a while...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by polishedbullet
I've always had my eye on an Axe FX, too bad I don't have any way to run it through a board or power amp at the moment. :/

But with that being said, I'd love to own a Baron. *COUGH*COUGH*KYLE*COUGH*COUGH
Sell your Road King and buy a Baron with the money. It should be about equal. Baron are ridiculously good value considering the quality and tone, but you will have to wait a long time.
swap it for my 2 channel recto

from what i've seen and heard the Cobra is probably your best bet really, but if you want the same kind of features that you get with the roadking then you should be looking at Diezel and ENGL really. something like a Herbert or an SE
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
The Herbert, even second hand is quite expensive over that end of the pond. The Einstein would still be more than sufficient as a versatile amp with enough gain, if the TS is interested in the Diezel route. All Peter's amps are fantastic, without exception.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Herbert, even second hand is quite expensive over that end of the pond. The Einstein would still be more than sufficient as a versatile amp with enough gain, if the TS is interested in the Diezel route. All Peter's amps are fantastic, without exception.

this is true, but at only 2 channels perhaps not as good a trade off for the RoadKing really
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Dude..Get a Baron. Nuff said. Getting tired of the only one praising these things around here and the wait time isn't super long either.

If you are looking for versatility and not just metal and clean I'd look more toward a Baron B series for the mid-gain and 80s metal tones.

And.....Although that is true..Just recently I set my guitar back up to Eb and I dialed in the amp for a while and got a very nice Ratt tone. Might record Round and Round with the K88 to show. The Snott sounded really good doing Round and Round because that preamp is based of the B series so the high gain was more British flavored.

If anyone is actually interested in hearing the K88 do something other than br00tz and cleans I'll do Round and Round or any other song in Eb. Was thinking about doing Sweet Child of Mine but I need to shut up because this is irrelevant to your thread.

Anyway. Baron.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Nov 21, 2011,
Kyle, the model that caught my interest the most was the 80-watt K88 for $1600. I'm primarily interested in the br00tz and cleans for it, not so much the Ratt crunch though. How's it take overdrive pedals and how long is the wait list for one?
Quote by Ippon
Kyle, Baron should sponsor you and/or give you cool stuff and dibs on testing their stuff.

I like this idea. I'm actually thinking of making a new website for him. The last one I did was meh and I didn't have enough time to work on it.

Polished - It takes my TS-9 really well. Obvious change and nice one at that. I'll try and get you a clip when I get time. Also I'm not sure of the wait but some people got theirs done in as much as two months.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Ive always wanted to compare my peavey 6534+ to a framus cobra. I dont know where I got the notion but for some reason my uead tells me theyre similar even though Ive heard a cobra on youtube like twice. Something tells me the cpbra would kill my 6534.
It wouldn't kill it at high volume. I'd say that the 6534 would kill the Cobra when both played at really high volumes, but the Cobra is definitely the more versatile and balanced of the two.