I went out to try some guitars the other day and I'm absolutely in love with the Taylor 400 series. I played the 414ce but I'd like to try the 410ce, but no where around here carries it. Anyone have any thoughts on both?

But I wanted to buy used because they go for around $1200 rather than the $1900 new price. I'm seeing a lot of older ones, like around 2000, with Fishman electronics. Would buying an older one be a bad idea? Or should I just save more and buy new?

Thanks, Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I own a second hand bc rich and yeah it has some huge faults with the electronics and finish but it ment I got a very pretty guitar which plays very very well for very cheep.
Buying a used instrument is actually fairly smart. Not only do you not pay the full price of a new instrument, but you also get an instrument that has had several years to season and mellow. I own a Taylor 314CE, which is just below the 400 series you're considering. I almost traded my 314CE for a new 914CE, but decided against it at the last moment. I really like the tone of my 314CE and would've kicked myself for trading it in.

As with any old instrument, make sure you play it prior to laying down your cash. Verify the condition is acceptable to you - frets, scratches, any repairs, etc...
All of my gear (amps and guitars) were used. The only thing I bought new was a 10 watt practice amp.... I couldn't even get rid of it for $20. I bought a $400 Ibanez off ebay for $185, it was in prestige condition, even though the guy said it had been heavily used and played in all kinds of shows when he was in a band.

There is nothing sketchy about buying used musical instruments, it's not like they get abused or go bad over time. The only bad music gear you'll see are Squiers with anarchy signs etched into the guitar somewhere, or stickers or others thing teenagers like to put on their beginner guitars.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
All my amps and my Gibson SG were used. But an acoustic is a little more fragile, so that's why I was asking if it's a bad idea. I was looking at buying on eBay so there's no way I could try the particular guitar before I buy it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I've bought & sold around 50 guitars in the 20+ years I've been playing. I reckon all but about 4 or 5 of them were bought used, mostly off eBay in the past 10 years. That includes a few acoustics, I've never had a problem.

If that's where you've found the guitar you like at the right price, so long as the seller has decent feedback & you're looking at actual pictures & not just stock pictures, you'll be fine.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i love ebay and guitars. like gary says, just check the seller's feedback score. all but one of my current pile of 13 guitars is from ebay( no good shops near me). any one of them i could sell for more than i paid for them. just got my only new one just this week, and the ones i got used were better.. backward strings on my new 12 string. a little thing to be sure but for the price you pay.....
buying used in person is a good idea if you know what issues to look for when buying used. my experience is that most people don't. also some sellers will let the guitar be checked by your luthier, which might be a good way to go if you're not great at checking for fine cracks, neck issues, etc. i do know some people who have bought acoustic electrics where the electronics went out after a short time, and you have no warranty, so this can be a possible issue.

buying used online from a really reputable store like elderly is a good option. that being said, i know a lot of folks who say they've had issues on ebay and buying used at mf and gc. i won't buy from ebay unless people can answer my questions - i ask them stuff that the average owner won't know, but that matters. two things - when i ask them those questions, being able to answer them is important. there's someone on agf who just got a guitar from a seller and it turned out to need a neck reset. the seller didn't know, he didn't know anything about guitars, but the reset is around $700. so a knowledgeable seller is a big plus, not to mention that those sellers who aren't willing to answer questions i'd rather not do business with.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I buy most everything used nowadays: I am in the belief that older guitars had better woods and were better constructed, and I always prefer the pickup sounds you get from old guitars. Though I like new acoustics, older ones are always better, though I notice that older guitars are more prone to faults, so you have to know what to look for.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by patticake
buying used in person is a good idea if you know what issues to look for when buying used. my experience is that most people don't. also some sellers will let the guitar be checked by your luthier, which might be a good way to go if you're not great at checking for fine cracks, neck issues, etc. i do know some people who have bought acoustic electrics where the electronics went out after a short time, and you have no warranty, so this can be a possible issue.

buying used online from a really reputable store like elderly is a good option. that being said, i know a lot of folks who say they've had issues on ebay and buying used at mf and gc. i won't buy from ebay unless people can answer my questions - i ask them stuff that the average owner won't know, but that matters. two things - when i ask them those questions, being able to answer them is important. there's someone on agf who just got a guitar from a seller and it turned out to need a neck reset. the seller didn't know, he didn't know anything about guitars, but the reset is around $700. so a knowledgeable seller is a big plus, not to mention that those sellers who aren't willing to answer questions i'd rather not do business with.

I sent you a PM

replied to it.

btw, while my husband does love buying used guitars, he only buys them in person. me, i love a brand new guitar with that new guitar smell, the opportunity to cherry pick in person and that full manufacture warranty

my experience is that most guitar owners just don't know much about guitars, so while they might tell you in all good faith that their guitar is in great shape, they don't really know. agf has plenty of threads where these guitars needed neck resets or the unobservant owners didn't notice cracks that looked to them like part of the grain.

Quote by tr3nt
I sent you a PM
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Nov 20, 2011,
I love craigslist for musical instrument stuff, but I have had a good experience buying a used amp on Musicians' Friend...

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.