Quote by Pettah
probably that its supposed to be sweeped or something like that

+1

Looks like that's what whoever made the tab was trying to get across. Look like they just drew that in paint though lol
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
The guy who's site this is, does not have a clue. The symbol is a slur, which indicates that the notes should be played with a smooth transition.

This is simply not possible on a ascending sweep, because you have to pick the notes. The slur symbol can be used on the descending part of the sweep however, because you can hammer on from nowhere.

Don't learn from this site, the guy is trying to make a fast buck.

This is a perfect example of the amount of shit you can find on the internet.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by mdc
The guy who's site this is, does not have a clue. The symbol is a slur, which indicates that the notes should be played with a smooth transition.

This is simply not possible on a ascending sweep, because you have to pick the notes. The slur symbol can be used on the descending part of the sweep however, because you can hammer on from nowhere.

Don't learn from this site, the guy is trying to make a fast buck.

This is a perfect example of the amount of shit you can find on the internet.

Actually not true, you can not only use all hammers on an ascending arpeggio like that (which would make it not a sweep anyway) but also the absolute purists would argue that this kind of one note per string playing is the only way to get a true legato sound. The purest sense of the legato term actually means that the notes ring over so slightly in to one another.

Be careful what you say. I mean, I agree that the site is terrible but not for the reasons you gave.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually not true, you can not only use all hammers on an ascending arpeggio like that (which would make it not a sweep anyway) but also the absolute purists would argue that this kind of one note per string playing is the only way to get a true legato sound. The purest sense of the legato term actually means that the notes ring over so slightly in to one another.

The only time I could accept what those diagrams are illustrating, is if they were reminiscent of a lick in a song like Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing or Power Cosmic, where all notes are hammered. Even then, the letter "H" will appear in both the notation and tab, in conjunction with a slur.

... and I'm pretty sure that those exercise are not using that technique.
Be careful what you say. I mean, I agree that the site is terrible but not for the reasons you gave.

Edit: ... and in sweep picking, the whole idea is to keep every note separate. Thus, my reasons are 100% valid.
Quote by mdc
The only time I could accept what those diagrams are illustrating, is if they were reminiscent of a lick in a song like Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing or Power Cosmic, where all notes are hammered. Even then, the letter "H" will appear in both the notation and tab, in conjunction with a slur.

... and I'm pretty sure that those exercise are not using that technique.

Oh I know, the website is terrible and the notation is certainly misused but what you said about sweeping and legato and such is still wrong

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
See edit. Yes, descending wouldn't be obviously.
Quote by mdc
Edit: ... and in sweep picking, the whole idea is to keep every note separate. Thus, my reasons are 100% valid.

Sweep picking is a motion, no matter how people use it now doesn't mean that what I said isn't true.

Legato is a tone, picking is a motion, you can play legato and still pick.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Those lines drawn over each phrase are exactly what you see, phrase markings. They're meant to tell you when to breathe. They're used much more in standard notation, and I've never actually seen them in TAB before.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Nov 20, 2011,