i need a cab. preferably a 4x12 cuz i play metal. so... yeah. my budget is fairly flexible but is around $175.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Erm....... New? Don't bother. A 4x12 for $175 will sound much worse than a 1x12 for the same price.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
i shoulda said used, sorry
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

^Indeed. If you can stretch your budget or go used, jet city makes nice cabs.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
get a 1x12, that wont even get you a 2x12 for that. or save up more
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Ampeg cabinets arent bad... I got my Avatar 4x12 for $100, so if you shop around its possible.

Not very probably though.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, I'll agree with the Ampeg suggestion. Or get an older Peavey cab. Like one of the MS models. They're pretty good. Don't bother with the ValveKing/Windsor stuff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Is this a joke? $175 isn't even enough to buy a half-decent 1x12.

Based on your profile, I say save for a new amp before buying any piece of guitar equipment. A 4x12 won't make a Fender Frontman sound better. You can turn your Frontman into a 2x12 cab, however. Put it to much better use. But then you will need to buy a head, but it will at least be worth it.
i haven't updated it in a while, i now have a b-52
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

$175? Build your own 212 and load it with your preferred speakers.

$75ish for materials and you can find a pair of good used Eminence speakers for $100. Otherwise you're most likely gonna end up with a complete junk MDF cab of some sort.

EDIT: Do you still have the Frontman 212? Just use it for a speaker cab and buy a pair of speakers to throw in it. With $175 you can get a pair of nice speakers used or new.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 19, 2011,
i might be able to get a 2x15 cab, should i?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

If it's the Randall one they are pretty decent. I had the chance to use one once.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by IronMaiden76
i might be able to get a 2x15 cab, should i?

A 2x15 will be very heavy, and you'll have a great deal of bass to your sound. If you don't mind that, then go for it...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Eh, it wasn't that bassy for me. I mean it had a little more low end but not much more than my Mesa 4x12.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Raijouta
A 2x15 will be very heavy, and you'll have a great deal of bass to your sound. If you don't mind that, then go for it...

it should be about the same or less weight wise than a 4x12, and by my math a 4x12 has quite a bit more cone area. so, i'd say you may be able to get more low end out of the 4x12. unless by more bass you mean a lower frequency extension, then you're right.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
nooooooo the place with the 2x15 went out of business fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Look for a used Jet City 4x12, they have a good build quality and diecent speakers. New they are only like $350.

You can also look for a used Line 6 Flextone 4x12 cab, they are really nice cabs also.

EDIT: Also look at used Laney GS 4x12 cabs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've got a b-52, and other bands ask to borrow it during shows after they hear me play it nearly every show. I've heard nothing but good things about the b-52 4x12 cab.
which model? the ls412?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Either get a new 2x12, or a used 4x12.

Over here in the UK, Hayden do a 4x12 cab for the ridiculous price of £99 and do you know what? It ain't half bad.

On the whole though, with cabs you get what you pay for so it's best to either buy secondhand or quit worrying about image and buy a smaller cab. I'm sure you'll find something good on fleabay though.

Make sure it's a closed-back cab and of reasonably solid construction (if money's tight enough that you're buying a cab for $170, I doubt you've got top-notch band transport or road crew - so you don't want something that'll fall apart)
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 20, 2011,
What is this?

Stop focusing on a 4x12. You don't need one.

A 2x12 is fine. Having said that, find a decent used 2x12.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
What is this?

Stop focusing on a 4x12. You don't need one.

A 2x12 is fine. Having said that, find a decent used 2x12.

You don't need 3 amps...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
If you are stateside go for a crate blue voodoo cab. Best 4x12 cab for the money- V30's.

The are cheap over here in LA.
Quote by Mopy
You don't need 3 amps...

asdfj1h34gtsd

irrelevant to this thread.

If you are trying to save money, a 2x12 is great. Not to mention, there is hardly a volume difference with a bigger cab, hardly a tone difference either.

So for one to save money, a 2x12 is the best option.

Why take a shot at my amps?

One is for gigs, one is for practice, one is for sale.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Mopy
You don't need 3 amps...

why is that relevant to the thread? that's the same as me asking you why you don't have two. everybody should have two, so in case of a breakdown they have a back up common sense to me. so regardless of your ignorant comment.

help out the OT or get out of the way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Guitarbaddie
If you are trying to save money, a 2x12 is great. Not to mention, there is hardly a volume difference with a bigger cab, hardly a tone difference either.
They still have a purpose. They project the sound out more so the tone is more consistent throughout the space you are playing in instead of just having all of the sound coming from one small narrow space, making the guitars more audible when on stage and not having to be sent through the monitors.

Though I strongly doubt the TS wants a 4x12 for that purpose. Even so, he's not going to find shit for $175. The best he can do is order something like an Eminence Legend V12 or a Celestion G12T-100 and build a DIY 1x12 himself, or order a set of phono jacks and use the speakers in his Frontman as a cab.
I've heard bands play a pretty good sized bar with 2X12's and they sounded amazing. My 212 recto cab can bring the brootz with no problem. 2 more speakers won't make THAT much difference.

Look around on CL, you may be able to find an avatar cab used. Or if you're handy with a saw you could build one.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Ian_the_fox
They still have a purpose. They project the sound out more so the tone is more consistent throughout the space you are playing in instead of just having all of the sound coming from one small narrow space, making the guitars more audible when on stage and not having to be sent through the monitors.

Though I strongly doubt the TS wants a 4x12 for that purpose. Even so, he's not going to find shit for $175. The best he can do is order something like an Eminence Legend V12 or a Celestion G12T-100 and build a DIY 1x12 himself, or order a set of phono jacks and use the speakers in his Frontman as a cab.

I've played places with out a PA system and was still heard with my 2x12

I do like the idea of turning his frontman into a cheap cab though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I'm not saying that it's impossible to be heard with a sole 2x12, I'm just saying that a 4x12 projects the sound through a wider orb than just a 1 or 2x12, just making it better. It also sounds wider on-stage, but that really doesn't matter to the audience since they're hearing a mic'd signal from one speaker.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
I do like the idea of turning his frontman into a cheap cab though.
Easy and cheap: http://www.ecrater.com/p/12511519/speaker-cabinet-stereo-mono-jack#

The Fender speakers won't sound amazing, but probably better than a cab that's $175.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I'm not saying that it's impossible to be heard with a sole 2x12, I'm just saying that a 4x12 projects the sound through a wider orb than just a 1 or 2x12, just making it better. It also sounds wider on-stage, but that really doesn't matter to the audience since they're hearing a mic'd signal from one speaker.

Easy and cheap: http://www.ecrater.com/p/12511519/speaker-cabinet-stereo-mono-jack#

The Fender speakers won't sound amazing, but probably better than a cab that's $175.

Exactly.

He could replace the Frontman speakers as well. And just swap them out into a better cab in the future.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
i got an idea! i'm gonna use my fender as a cab. i'm gonna build a box and separate it into a head and cab and use the fender head as a backup, 'specially cuz i can get the wood for free in my school. would i need special jacks?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

If you have halfway decent soldering skills and decent woodworking skills it shouldn't be a problem. You're gonna need a few 1/4" or speakon or whatever kinda jack you want to use, one for the output of the amp section, and 1 or 2 for the cab itself (input and output, the output is so you can have 2 cabs in series.)
oh jeez, it's cuz of my phone. i didn't see it. lawl
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699