Page 1 of 2
As musicians, i assume many of you consider yourselves artists, non?
Good, now bare with me...

You know how between school, beaureaucracy, and everyday "normal life" in general, the thoughts that count are those you can put into words and thus, depending on your familiarity and domesticity with language, share with the world, discuss, compare etc...?

Erm, maybe? That's okay, anyway...my point is:

If like me you believe in an altogether different category of 'thoughts', which can't be described with whatever limited combination of letters and words of the languages you speak, but can best be expressed (aside from in your own head) through art, music etc...

How much do these kinds of thoughts - closer maybe to dreams than anything else - weigh on your life, your emotions and your personality?

TL: DR
I know you don't have anything else to do, just read the damn pos- oh FINE just that bit in italic then ^

As for me, they seem to be all i got. I'm not being dramatic, i'm just not good with words. I kind of like to live in my "fantasy world" from which i draw inspiration for drawing and music. Yeah i'm no socialite.
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking (just read the title lol), but I naturally think in an abstract and conceptual manner. I have difficulty verbalizing and communicating ideas instantaneously a lot of the time as it takes me a bit to try and sort out my thoughts and ideas into a coherent form of language. I grasp concepts really easy and understand them quickly, but I have a bit of trouble taking the way I naturally think and expressing it in a manner that can be explained with language. I don't really know how to explain it.

I can't picture things vividly at all though, which really sucks ass. Can't fondly picture boobies of my exes, for example.
Well, I have a microwaveable curry in the fridge, which tastes like ass but is easy to cook and will be done in 6 minutes. Or, I get a take away pizza which is slightly nicer but will cost and take longer to get here.
I know exactly what I mean. Mine usually aren't very optimistic, though. Not depressing, but generally misanthropic. I'm not much of a people-person, but it's more on a large-scale basis.
I couldn't read a coherent statement from that entire post.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Depends how much I go out really. If I'm in all the time, abstract thoughts are my personality, if I'm out alot, I don't really take notice.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question

I'm not Helen Keller, so ... Not knowing what the hell I'm thinking about doesn't really affect me, bro.

Or was that not the question?
Quite a bit. I like my fantasy world too.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Sometimes i intentionally think in pictures, is that what you mean? your thought proccess goes so fast when you do it that you have no control over it. It's kind of cool. I don't know exactly what you mean but i think you mean something like this.
My sig? Nice.
Okay, I think I get it now. Your post is about concepts we can't put into words, right? In that case, I often feel strongly about something but yet don't know how I feel about it. It helps if I pretend I'm being interviewed, so I can solidify these feelings, and really understand myself.
I quite often think in a flow of abstract concepts and ideas rather than in independent terms bound by the rules of language.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Yep. I feel like the only person who has 3 or more different worlds to live in.

EDIT: Read again: Yeah, I get that a lot.
Quote by yoman297
Yep. I feel like the only person who has 3 or more different worlds to live in.

EDIT: Read again: Yeah, I get that a lot.

You aren't all alone xD

EDIT: Your sig. The Holy Grail link. I loved that thread
Last edited by Miiiiks at Nov 19, 2011,
I don't know, I think I'm a more logical thinker. I like to apply real concepts to desribe the world around me and my ideas. I guess doing this is applying ideas in an abstract way, but I prefer the concrete.

Then again, looking at my doodles scattered throughout my notes, it's almost always very abstract art consisting of geometric shapes that I give a story to, and my music (Besides my electronic stuff) is almost always very abstract and different from the norm.

Crap, now I'm sitting here trying to describe how my mind works, I'm gonna be trying to figure this out all night. Thanks TS. >_>
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by SlayingDragons
I don't know, I think I'm a more logical thinker. I like to apply real concepts to desribe the world around me and my ideas. I guess doing this is applying ideas in an abstract way, but I prefer the concrete.

Then again, looking at my doodles scattered throughout my notes, it's almost always very abstract art consisting of geometric shapes that I give a story to, and my music (Besides my electronic stuff) is almost always very abstract and different from the norm.

Crap, now I'm sitting here trying to describe how my mind works, I'm gonna be trying to figure this out all night. Thanks TS. >_>

What major are you considering?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I like to learn logical theory to a topic, and then abstract it so that I can find new ways to manipulate or apply it. I try to stay away from following norms not to be different (I'm already weird enough), but to attempt to achieve a different perspective which could lead to new methods or styles or ideas. I have a lot of abstract thought mainly because that's how I often memorize things, and I often make loose associations between things which are only understood by me.

In terms of how it effects my life... eh, not much: I do well in certain academic studies because of it, though it has hindered me in some.

tl;dr I write avant-garde shizz
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by Neo Evil11
What major are you considering?

At the moment, probably computer science & engineering. (Including infomation technology.)

Computers are pretty concrete until you get to higher-level programming langauges, which can get pretty abstract. (Literally, high-level langauges are called that because of the level of abstraction between the user and the hardware/system.)

Quote by Banjocal
I like to learn logical theory to a topic, and then abstract it so that I can find new ways to manipulate or apply it. I try to stay away from following norms not to be different (I'm already weird enough), but to attempt to achieve a different perspective which could lead to new methods or styles or ideas. I have a lot of abstract thought mainly because that's how I often memorize things, and I often make loose associations between things which are only understood by me.

In terms of how it effects my life... eh, not much: I do well in certain academic studies because of it, though it has hindered me in some.

tl;dr I write avant-garde shizz

And this pretty much.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Nov 19, 2011,
My face when I read the OP:

(Invalid img)
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Thoughts are a collection of brain activities that you rationalize after they occur, forming them into the thoughts you experience. Language is part of the rationalizing aspect, not the origin=thought without language is not only possible, but happens all the time.

NOTE: OP confused the shit out of me, so if this isn't relevant then disregard it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
My face when I read the OP:

(Invalid img)

Basically this.

I read the whole thing, too.

As a side note, I don't think a TL;DR is necessary for something that long. It only looked long because you used so many paragraphs.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I know what you mean. It freaks me out. But because neither of us can put it into words I'm going out on a limb that we're referring to the same thing.

Edit: Jesus, the quality of posts here is abysmal.

Oh hey you're back!
Quote by LostLegion

why do people dance when they don't read?
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I often think of how different genres of music can convey emotions and feelings. I don't like it when people say that a certain song or genre is the best way to express a certain emotion. I think that everyone has a personal preference on how to express certain emotions musically. Some like a more country sound, some might like a Chopin nocturne type sounds, others like string instruments while others like a guitar riff with rap lyrics over it. It's not the genre or sound itself that makes a good communication of emotion, it's the person doing it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Very much so. I don't know if I would say I couldn't put those thoughts/feelings into words, but to really understand it you have to experience it yourself. Kind of a crappy way of putting it but I can't be bothered with finding better words. Are you drunk OP? I always talk about stuff like this when I drink. :P
sunbather is shit
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Whenever I come back here I remember why I left.

Why did you leave anyways? I can't remember.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Why did you leave anyways? I can't remember.

Learning Japanese. How is it going, Chuckles?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
i have so many odd thoughts...
mostly about the universe
so...
the entire universe we live in, our 3dimensional universe, is actually just like wallpaper stuck to the surface of our local and friendly 4thdimensional paralell universe, which is expanding btw. the 4th dimensional universe is kinda shaped like a sphere and its just getting bigger. so the result of its expansion? well, it causes our world to expand as well, but since we only have 3 expanding dimensions there is a slight problem.... well not problem but what i am talking about is our universe seems to be expanding, but its relative to your POV. if i look at you you slowly drift away, be we are actually just both drifting apart.
what does this theory mean to anyone? it explains gravity, if you were under water and had a ball and pushed it against another object, the second object will spiral around the ball. yes thats common sense. but apply that to my theory. well all of us are just like that second underwater objecct, we are just spiraling around this giant expanding 4th dimensional universe. in our world, its called gravity. if you looked at a spacetime grid showing a planet orbit artound the sun, it looks like a ball spinning around another ball like a trampoline, yes, why does that happen? well, imagine that planet actually spinning away rom the inside, kinda like wa5ter flushing down a toilet but in reverse, now if the surface was expanding, it would look like, to us 3d creatures, that it just effortlessly spins around.
it also explains light. the speed of light is actually the speed in which particles materialize into our iniverse. what prevents light from just instantly appearing from spot to spot is the expanding 4th dimensin constantly creating new space the light has to materialize into. so to us it seems clear but its not. a point in our planet is actually the end of a line fractal from the 4th dimension. string theory says we are made of rings of energy, those rings are actually 3d in the 4th dimensional world. its kinda like if you a 3d human walked into a 2d world, the 2d creatures would see 2d segments of you, in relation to where they are. so we are the same way, leftover segments from the 4d world. anyway, those stings are actually 2d leftovers from a giant 3d string in 4d land. i have a trillion thoughts like this, not all are highdeas.

tldr a bunch of "thoughts" i have that il never be able to explain in world, but sit in my head as fancy pictures
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Nov 19, 2011,
^Oh, so we're sharing our random thoughts now? Don't mind if I do.

The human mind could be theorized a lot like a recursive function in programming. The first variables are initialized at birth, as a blank slate. The output variable is influenced by the external variables, like the environment and such, which then loops back into the function to be altered by the external variables again. This would repeat for as long as we live, and is why we wouldn't react the same to the identical situations. If there was a ever a consistent repetition of extreme events, or a very extreme external variable is passed in, it would cause a very extreme alteration of the output variable, which would be mental illness.

I thought this was kind of interesting, and though about it after seeing this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_global_amnesia

When someone gets it, they're like a broken record and loop over and over. It's like their being reset to a certain state, like the output variables are being reset to a certain state. They then react to the same external variables the same way as they did before, which would be like the output following the function in an identical way each time it runs through before being reset.
One time I was 6 people and three of them were black and all the 6 others were purple. But I was also blue.

Boy did my face turn red when my mother said "yellow, what are you doing in there?"

And I just browned at that statement and said, "look lady, I'm not gay, I'm your son".

On topic, I didn't understand the opening post.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Nov 19, 2011,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
One time I was 6 people and three of them were black and all the 6 others were purple. But I was also blue.

Boy did my face turn red when my mother said "yellow, what are you doing in there?"

And I just browned at that statement and said, "look lady, I'm not gay, I'm your son".

that's humorous.
I can, usually, put all of my thoughts into words, somehow. Doesn't always make sense, but that's kind of the point of abstract thoughts. They aren't REALLY anything.

I have a way with linking even my strangest thoughts with some kind of coherent thought, or idea. Not always, but I can, and do, often.

In terms of how much weight these abstract thoughts have on my life? A good deal, because I'm forced to entertain myself a lot. My abstract inner thoughts really rule my personal, bored down time, most times (when I'm not getting all introspective, and down on myself).

This, usually, happens while listening to music. Lots of aural landscape, and scenarios, etc.

This post makes about as much sense as the TS, but I'm PRETTY sure I know what he's trying to say.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by chelsyhurry
that's humorous.

I love adbots.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by behind_you

this.

WTF did I just read?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I'm fine thank you.

P.S buy new good shoes on internet. 1 for free other comes with pay. Good price only. Black brown and other color. Both brown.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Page 1 of 2