Hey, im a guitar player who is starting to learn piano.
My problem is that i dont really know how to play scales up and down with one hand.
Lets say im playing the old C major scale acending starting with my right hand thumb.
When i get to my pinky (the g note) shuld i just shift my position up, so i get my thumb on the next note in the scale (a-note)?

Also am i doing anything wrong if my hands are hurting pretty quickly by of doing 7th chords?
When you get to E, bring the thumb underneath the hand and start over again from F. You'll then finish on C with the pinky.
Theres a video on youtube showing what mdc is talking about. There is also a way of bringing it back down with the same "pivot fingering." I think I just came up with that term, btw, but thats because the motion reminds me of a pivot...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
You can find fingerings on youtube, there's a guy called Lypur on youtube who does good piano lessons (although he talks too much).

But yeah, if you're serious about learning piano, get a teacher. There's more to playing the piano than knowing what fingers to use.
Quote by griffRG7321
But yeah, if you're serious about learning piano, get a teacher. There's more to playing the piano than knowing what fingers to use.

Agreed, self taught sucks, and requires a huge amount of determination, and self loathing (some might call it depression, but its necessary in order to correct yourself and push your self, imo.)
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
MDC is right about the C scale. Keep in mind though that other scales use different standard fingerings.

I will second the advice of getting a teacher if you are serious. There's a lot to piano. Can you read standard sheet music yet? That's often a big barrier to guitarists learning keyboard.