Page 1 of 2
I'm ordering one this week. This will be my first head/cab amp, my previous being a 74' Twin Reverb. Hopefully, there's no bugs in the first run. My Axis is going to sing through that thing!
on the fence about buying it.... 50 watts less.... less headroom which equates to better for gain but worse for the already passable cleans.

i actually had a good long think about this topic and its just not worth investing in if your not getting value through versatility....

but if its less then or is like $500 i might buy it.... But only if its lunchbox size!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Is that really an amp you want lower headroom with though?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Is that really an amp you want lower headroom with though?

for gain i mean it just means more saturation... thats great if ur just worried about that side of the amp.

i say they just turn it into a 1 channel amp
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
on the fence about buying it.... 50 watts less.... less headroom which equates to better for gain but worse for the already passable cleans.

i actually had a good long think about this topic and its just not worth investing in if your not getting value through versatility....

but if its less then or is like $500 i might buy it.... But only if its lunchbox size!

If it is lunchbox sized then there's no way I won't get it. I was planning on getting a 6505 for my next amp, but a lunchbox sized 5150 with 50 watts vs. the 15 of my DT would be badass.

Edit: I see it looks a little to custom for me. I prefer amps that don't look like signature models, but if it sounds really good I might get it anyways.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Nov 19, 2011,
OMG ITS TINY AND SO CUTE IM GETTING IT....

if < $1k

3 channels with some sparkly cleans.... link in case someone wanted to see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQJGIZncEuI
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Nov 19, 2011,
Damn. That thing is actually pretty beastly. I might start taking this amp more seriously.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I actually prefer 50W amps because it's possible to get some power tube distortion without killing the front row but would one actually want power amp distortion out of a 5150? I can't really see the point of a 50W 5150. If you want power amp distortion you are looking at the wrong amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've been epic excited since I heard of it earlier this year. Better live up my expectations or I'm going to cry.

I've already started selling stuff to buy one when they hit the used market

Quote by EspTro
on the fence about buying it.... 50 watts less.... less headroom which equates to better for gain but worse for the already passable cleans

You do realize this is for the 5150 THREE, right?

The 5150 III has a Fender clean channel, even if the 50w reduced headroom and make the cleans suffer (which I seriously doubt it will, 50W is not THAT much of a difference from 100W), they will still be significantly better than the original 5150 design.

Quote by Cathbard
I actually prefer 50W amps because it's possible to get some power tube distortion without killing the front row but would one actually want power amp distortion out of a 5150? I can't really see the point of a 50W 5150. If you want power amp distortion you are looking at the wrong amp.

The 5150 III is a whole different beast than the 5150. Both amps sound good with a bit of power tube saturation, and at 50W, the mini will allow you to hit the sweet spot a bit quicker.

Not to mention - They are $50 cheaper than an new 6505, have an extra channel and much better cleans. If EVH stayed faithful to their original design, these things are going to go over HUGE.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

You do realize this is for the 5150 THREE, right?

dont know too much on my 5150/6505's

ty for correcting me
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by MatrixClaw
at 50W, the mini will allow you to hit the sweet spot a bit quicker.

that's what i was thinking.

if i see one south of $700 used i'd probably grab it to mess with for a while.

these are made in mexico right?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
the 5150 III is like a completely different circuit then the 1 or the 2.

they said they redesigned some of the switching and stuff for the 50 watter though.

both are made in mexico although it hardly matters where it's made, the entire amp is through hole wave soldered.

Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Nov 20, 2011,
I think the folks at EVH realized that they were missing out on a big demographic by only offering a 100w/ 4x12 rig. The 50w with a 1x12 is perfect for those VH fans who want to jam at home. Likewise, if you're a gigging musician, you can go with the 2x12 or a 4x12 cab. This puppy looks much easier to tote around than it's big brother.
Looks awesome.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Okay, I've order mine. I ended up going with the ivory & 1x12. Since I'm just playing for my own kicks at home, the 1x12 should be plenty loud. I had to wait an extra week for the ivory color. You would think Fender might have realized there would be a higher demand for the white one.
Quote by scott john
I'm ordering one this week. This will be my first head/cab amp, my previous being a 74' Twin Reverb. Hopefully, there's no bugs in the first run. My Axis is going to sing through that thing!

I just made the switch from a 74 Twin to a Peavy, albeit a Windsor...

totally different ends of the spectrum... but I Like it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I'm looking to score one as soon as thomann.de gets them in stock, which they supposedly do January 13th.
I got an Orange Dark Terror now that I'm incredibly happy with, but I'm looking for something with more clean headroom, and the 5150 III 50W should fit that nicely. I'd get the 100W if it wasn't for the fact I'm only running it through a 1x12" Orange cab at home.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Apparently these amps have headphone jacks too.

Im actually debating this, a mini recto or an axe fx II, but if this 5150 could take El34s, my 6534 would be up for sale tommorow
I'm looking at the pics of this thing, and I'm not sure I understand how the shared controls for CH1/2 work. which is the clean channel? 1, 2, or 3? How can every parameter on CH1 and 2 be shared? I'm used to some of the EQ on the mark IV being shared between rhythm 1 and 2, but it at least has seperate gain, treble, and presence... Am I missing something?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
What the hell is the point of having a 50w 5150 anyway? The 5150 i,ii, and iii get 95% of the gain from the preamp. There's no point in having a lower-wattage version of it, except to sell it for a lower price. And in the situation that you do want to turn it up, you don't have the headroom to do so.

I feel the same way with a majority of the lunchbox amps they sell.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
What the hell is the point of having a 50w 5150 anyway? The 5150 i,ii, and iii get 95% of the gain from the preamp. There's no point in having a lower-wattage version of it, except to sell it for a lower price. And in the situation that you do want to turn it up, you don't have the headroom to do so.

I feel the same way with a majority of the lunchbox amps they sell.

95% preamp? There are lots of great classic rock tones and clean tones that can be had with the power tubes.

Sell at a lower price?

50w is still a lot of headroom.

2 less power tubes means lower cost down the road.

I think it's geared towards the EVH fan who wants to play at home. That's why they offer a 1x12 or 2x12. Somebody who's playing at home or at small venues doesn't need the 100w head or a 4x12. I believe you are correct with the pricing, though. I wanted a 100w 5150 iii, but the price was too much.
I really wish they would stop changing the shipping date on this thing. Today, it says 2/28/12 for shipping the ivory color. I might just switch to the black as it ships 1//3/12.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

95% preamp? There are lots of great classic rock tones and clean tones that can be had with the power tubes.
Right, but not on a 5150. The 5150/6505 is a straight-up metal amplifier, in no way geared towards classic rock. If you want classic power-tube distortion, get an old Marshall.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Right, but not on a 5150. The 5150/6505 is a straight-up metal amplifier, in no way geared towards classic rock. If you want classic power-tube distortion, get an old Marshall.

So what's your point?

The 5153 is closer to a Marshall than the Peavey 5150 anyway.

And - there are already 60w versions of the 5150/6505.

You said "what the hell is the point of a 50w map....and "if you want to turn it up you won't have the headroom to do so". that doesnt' make sense. I for one, feel that 50w is the sweet spot. Not 5w. Not 120w.

therefore - EVH coming out with a 50w 5153 makes all the sense in the world to me.

the 5153 is designed to do more than just metal. You can get all kinds of killer tones on this amp (that you couldn't get with a standard 5150/6505)

and when you need new tubes, you'll only need 2 and not 4
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by EspTro

I would absolutely love to see someone cram a 50 watt tube amp into a lunchbox size amp.

I fear the worst for you TS, you never buy the first gen of anything, ever, you wait until the 2nd gen comes out to avoid the bugs, but they might be worth something in say..20-30 years.
Lol
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Every time I see you posting its out of complete lack of understanding of what you're talking about. Why can't you just sit back and read a little while before spewing your baseless opinions all over this forum?

The 5150III is not the 5150 or the 6505. Its not even a Peavey. Somehow you saying that an EVH signature amp can't do classic rock is a little funny to me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Every time I see you posting its out of complete lack of understanding of what you're talking about. Why can't you just sit back and read a little while before spewing your baseless opinions all over this forum?

The 5150III is not the 5150 or the 6505. Its not even a Peavey. Somehow you saying that an EVH signature amp can't do classic rock is a little funny to me.

+25,000

Even saying the original 5150 is only a metal amp lends to the lack of understanding of how to use the amp. IMO, the 5150 is more versatile than the Recto, which it gets compared to a lot at its price range. People seem to completely forget about the Crunch setting on these amps, which really opens it up for a lot more genres than just metal. I find it funny that people always rag on these amps for having poor cleans, but you don't see people complaining about similar cleans on their SLO, which is nearly 3 times the price of the 5150/6505.

Either way, we're talking about the EVH amp here, not a Peavey. They are different beasts. Yes, the EVH can get similar tones to the Peavey, but it is infinitely more versatile on the rest of its channels.

As for the 50w comment, even the original 5150 needed to be turned up fairly loud to hit the sweet spot. Often too loud to turn it up at shows that have a PA system, and too loud for your everyday musician who's using it at home. 50w may make you lose a little bit of headroom, but 50w is still insanely loud and the difference in volume, isn't ever going to be heard, unless you're constantly turning your amp up to max volume. 50w can hit the sweet spot at a more manageable volume level, while still getting plenty loud enough to compete with a 100w amp if needed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So what's your point?

The 5153 is closer to a Marshall than the Peavey 5150 anyway.

And - there are already 60w versions of the 5150/6505.

You said "what the hell is the point of a 50w map....and "if you want to turn it up you won't have the headroom to do so". that doesnt' make sense. I for one, feel that 50w is the sweet spot. Not 5w. Not 120w.

therefore - EVH coming out with a 50w 5153 makes all the sense in the world to me.

the 5153 is designed to do more than just metal. You can get all kinds of killer tones on this amp (that you couldn't get with a standard 5150/6505)

and when you need new tubes, you'll only need 2 and not 4
+311

I'm looking forward to the 50W version, too, after having the 5153 100W for about a week. Sweet spot indeed!

IpponEdit: Also, what MC/Derek said.
Quote by AcousticMirror
both are made in mexico although it hardly matters where it's made, the entire amp is through hole wave soldered.

That may be true but the first batch of 5153s had all kinds of issues if you remember. For the price - I don't see why it is not MIA. Plus there is some extra mojo, I feel, if the map is made in Cali.
Looks good. Not sure about the shared eq. i have the 100 watter, and it's superb. Not a Brootz fizzbox like the Peavey
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

And also, the cleans are really rather good on this amp.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Smart people know that all you have to do to a 100W amp is pull two tubes. Then you get a 50W'er with huge iron and you have the option of going back to a 100W if you ever feel the need for the extra headroom.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Smart people know that all you have to do to a 100W amp is pull two tubes. Then you get a 50W'er with huge iron and you have the option of going back to a 100W if you ever feel the need for the extra headroom.

True, but it's not possible on all amp designs, plus you also have to pay twice the price in this case
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2