I am getting a valveking for fairly cheap next week. ($250) I might just keep the inside circuits stock but i was planning on, if i didn't like the tone that much, modding it. I was thinking of the Mesa mod or one of the others on that page. I am looking for a simple mod so if anyone here has experience with the mesa mod or any other good mods that would be great. I play metal, clean arpeggios and chords with some jazz and classic rock, and i want a dark chunky od with high gain (like a mesa) and a smooth dark clean tone. Thanks in advance!
If you can solder, then by all means, do it. Just remember to drain the caps before you work on the circuit.

The Valveking wiki is essentially the culmination of the UG Valveking Thread's work with these amps. All the information you'll need on circuit mods is in there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well, you'll be able to make back the money you invested into it, if that's what you mean. Valvekings go for $300 on Craigslist every day in my experience.

They're a bit of a money pit amp, though, since there's so much wrong with them. You'd do well to buy an already modified Valveking (different tubes, different speaker, etc) and then make further changes as you see fit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Well, you'll be able to make back the money you invested into it, if that's what you mean. Valvekings go for $300 on Craigslist every day in my experience.

They're a bit of a money pit amp, though, since there's so much wrong with them. You'd do well to buy an already modified Valveking (different tubes, different speaker, etc) and then make further changes as you see fit.

can't agree that they are a money pit or that there is anything "wrong" with them. sure it can benifit from new tubes but that can be said about most amps under $1000. and again the speaker isn't great but improves once broken in. is there room for improvement well sure but that isn't exactly throwing your money away which is what a "money pit" implies. the VK has it's strengths but often is shouted down by those seeking amps whose strong points aren't waht the VK's are. for the 70s style hard rock/metal and blues rock stuff i play the VK has proven to be a great amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
needs. new. speaker.

I am broke after the amp but that and cheap mods are on my list, along with an od.
its realy not a money pit. a VK needs a dummy jack >$5 will need a tubescreamer for metal if thats what you are going for $60-$80, EQ dano fish and chips to an MXR 10 band in the loop $20-$100. speaker which you could swap back to the origional when you sell it. now here you have sold it here is what you have: the money from buying/selling profit/loss or however it works out, then you also have two (really three) things every guitarist shoud have, an OD, an EQ and an extra speaker. yea it takes a bit to get them to be the best, but they are not sunken costs and the other parts are good investments. hell throw some JJ's in there if you want to, they will give you a nice boost keep stockers safe and swap back before you sell and have extra JJ's on hand.

so really everything is reversable and a lot of the 'money pit' isn't really a 'money pit' after all, you just have some different gear and maybe extra tubes. all of which will come into good use further down the road.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its realy not a money pit. a VK needs a dummy jack >$5 will need a tubescreamer for metal if thats what you are going for $60-$80, EQ dano fish and chips to an MXR 10 band in the loop $20-$100. speaker which you could swap back to the origional when you sell it. now here you have sold it here is what you have: the money from buying/selling profit/loss or however it works out, then you also have two (really three) things every guitarist shoud have, an OD, an EQ and an extra speaker. yea it takes a bit to get them to be the best, but they are not sunken costs and the other parts are good investments. hell throw some JJ's in there if you want to, they will give you a nice boost keep stockers safe and swap back before you sell and have extra JJ's on hand.

so really everything is reversable and a lot of the 'money pit' isn't really a 'money pit' after all, you just have some different gear and maybe extra tubes. all of which will come into good use further down the road.

+1

Dis be da troof.
/Ali G
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes