So I was jamming with some guys today and realized that I didn't know how to make a metal riff on the spot. I know metal is such a wide variety, but can y'all give me some tips on what is generally in metal? Any type of metal: thrash, speed, power, black, death, progressive, doom, technical. And yes, even metalcore. Just any tips on what makes something metal/how to make something metal/things used in metal a lot/styles of playing (galloping, etc)/what notes (if 5ths are often used or whatever)/etc. Would be very appreciated guys! Thank you!
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
The second you begin to ask these types of questions you start to get contrived replication of what other bands do. Maybe that's what you want, but why do you want to sound like somebody else?

Develop your own style dude, there are no rules about how you play what. If you must, look at bands you like and see what elements they use in their music. You obviously like these elements if you listen to them.

There is no right or wrong, if it sounds good, it is!

Use anything you want. Do not make a list of particular techniques/theory parts that apply to metal because that way you'll isolate your playing. Any technique you know can be used, and if your band would disagree then they're probably narrow minded. Throw in some funky slaps, mellow slides, walking bass lines or taps. Add some funk or jazz in it, combine the genres a bit. You don't want to sound like every other metal bassist out there and the best way to do that is to get as broad of a playing style as possible. Don't just follow the bass drums or chord root notes the whole time.
Between the Buried and Me have some very, very, very cool bass lines and their bassist is probably my favourite "metal" bassist. He does the "combine the genre" thing really well, so check him out to see what I mean, maybe you'll pick up something cool from him.
Most of what I write is 80s-style heavy/speed metal, so generally what I do is have the bass guitar based on what the bass drum is doing rhythmically(so if you've got triplets in there, the bass'll do triplets and the like). I can upload some of my MP3s if you want, but I've got them done with Guitar Pro so they don't sound all that good. Regardless, however, try to keep the rhythm different from the guitar's rhythm but fitting for sure, spice it up.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I know to combine styles and stuff, but if someone tells me to just play a metal riff on the spot, that's what I'm asking.
Nothing, guys?
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
The second you begin to ask these types of questions you start to get contrived replication of what other bands do. Maybe that's what you want, but why do you want to sound like somebody else?

i'm going to disagree here and say that creativity comes in three stages. imitation, internalization and innovation. same way you learn any language. you learn and repeat and study the things that sound good to you, figure out WHY they sound good and this all helps in the process. until eventually you're able to play in the style of someone without actually playing their riffs/licks. and ultimately, after enough of that, you're able to find your own voice in it.

Develop your own style dude ...

that's ultimately the goal. but you can't have your own voice if you don't even have a foundation in the music.

TS:

harmonic minor scale
phrygian mode
locrian mode
phrygian dominant scale
pentatonics
whole tone scale
diminished whole-tone scale
lots of tritones
lots of fifths

internalize those sounds. you'll be using them a lot. as far as rhythms, metal is often based on sixteenth notes and 8th notes. just listen to stuff like metallica, megadeth, testament, necrophagist, etc. know enough of their material that you could hum or sing their riffs. at that point you'll have the rhythm internalized.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Nov 21, 2011,
That's a super vague question. Depends on the song, style, mood etc. You go off slapping and popping in a slow dirge you'd be tossed, play a slow drone in a slap happy korn band you'd be tossed. Your best bet "off the cuff" is to play what the guitar is doing if they already have something. If you're supposed to be the one leading the jam, it's always good to have things in mind before hand. Improvising comes with experience, and feel and sometimes luck. Learn the techniques, put them to use as you see.

I always assumed by your name and avatar all you did was play metal? Also not to be mean but what does your name mean, and isn't death and black metal unchristian by design?
Quote by askrere

I always assumed by your name and avatar all you did was play metal? Also not to be mean but what does your name mean, and isn't death and black metal unchristian by design?

Don't be silly - you can't leta little thing like continuity get in the way of the Religionists.

Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge
Don't be silly - you can't leta little thing like continuity get in the way of the Religionists.

#DTWD
My name doesn't really have a meaning and I'm not going to discuss my beliefs on the internet. Thank you mates for your input.