So I play a variety of genres. I mainly play various forms of rock, some blues, and a bit of metal. I don't play too much metal, usually some Black Sabbath, a little Metallica, and a little Ozzy, so I don't really want a metal-centered guitar, as I have a Washburn X200PROV so that's favored for metal but I might sell that but yeah, I don't want anything like a Flying V lol.

So what guitar do you guys recommend?
My budget is ~$500
Epi LP?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I have an Epi LP and to me its the most versatile guitar of all time. but do change the pickups because the stocks sounded muddy to me
well...what kind of guitars do you like? Play some and find out!
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Yeah, I've heard a lot about the Epi LPs. They sound pretty good but I was hoping for some other suggestions. I mean I'll be sure to try them out at my local GC which is just a few miles away but any other recommendations. Telecasters seem alright too. Anyone recommend a hollowbody or are those too airy?

Edit:
Quote by stonyman65
well...what kind of guitars do you like? Play some and find out!

Yeah I'll be sure to try some out, but I hate walking around grabbing every guitar I see, especially at Guitarcenter, where the employees there are gawking at me like I'm dirtying their guitars with my filthy hands. I'm just looking for a bit of direction I suppose
Last edited by scarhawk at Nov 19, 2011,
If you like Telecasters, then you should try out the Fender Blacktop Series. They also have other classic shapes with 2 Humbuckers.
take a look at G&L's tribute line. they're about on-par with MIM fenders in terms of build quality, but you can get them with features that you can't find on a fender.

also, check out some of the sterling by musicman guitars. they're lower-priced versions of musicmans, which are amoung the most versatile guitars on the market.
Used PRS Tremonti SE or an Ibanez ART300. Both are LP shaped without being Les Pauls. The Ibanez has active pickups in it, otherwise you could get the ART100, which doesn't have the active pickups.
for $500 you can get a Gibson SG Special used (the one with the 490r/t pickups not the P90's)around here. actually saw one at the $450 mark today w/HSC.

troll craigslist.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
500 will buy one of the new Gibson Melody makers. You might need to add a little more but not much. As said the used market is currently wide open. 500 will buy a nice studio.Less for the faded series. People need money for the holidays and are willing to dicker on price. Remember even if you think the world revolves around a credit card, cash is king.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for $500 you can get a Gibson SG Special used (the one with the 490r/t pickups not the P90's)around here. actually saw one at the $450 mark today w/HSC.

troll craigslist.

Around here on craigs you can only get a Faded for like $350 or so and SG Special for $600 or so lol.

Also the Ibanez ART300 is way too cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions
I don't really like the Gibson MMs though. >_>
PRS Tremonti SE, Used Gibson LP studio
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't know about the Tremonti. It sounds kind of weak to me from the video demos I heard.
Quote by scarhawk
I don't know about the Tremonti. It sounds kind of weak to me from the video demos I heard.

It has diecent stock pickups, but deff nothing great. I have been contemplating getting one lately, but I really don't need another guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you buy new, the Tremonti Se is hard to beat in the $500 range (if you want a LP shape). But if you go used, you open up a whole bunch of good guitars the LP studio is good. You can also look at some used SG specials, LTD EC-1000 (with SD pickups)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you buy new, the Tremonti Se is hard to beat in the $500 range (if you want a LP shape). But if you go used, you open up a whole bunch of good guitars the LP studio is good. You can also look at some used SG specials, LTD EC-1000 (with SD pickups)

I don't really care about the shape at all though.
Yeah I'm looking at some used SG Special. They're going for ~$500 while I can get a new one for ~$600.

It seems the Fadeds are a better value.
I mean it's only a difference in finish right?
Fender strat with h-s-s (used) or epi les Paul.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
you might be able to find a Fender Highway One Strat for 500$ or a Gibson LP studio/SG.

those two would probably be your best choices imo
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Are the American HSS Strats the best?
I hear lots of love for the MIMs.
Quote by scarhawk
Are the American HSS Strats the best?
I hear lots of love for the MIMs.

I prefer American ones, but some do like the mim and swear by it. Matter of taste and pocket. HSS ones are SOLID choice though.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
IMO, the EC-1000 with SD's seems pretty versatile to me. The pickups (Jazz/'59's?) are used in many genres in metal and rock, so you can't really go wrong there, if you go used.

Also, just to slightly correct you, Hollow-bodies, maybe excluding the Thinline Tele, are very mellow and very dark sounding, and not very bright.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Nov 20, 2011,
If you're getting a PRS, save your money and don't get a Tremonti SE. I feel like the SE line was for kids who knew their heroes played a PRS and wanted a guitar like their hero. They aren't bad, but they aren't what a PRS could be.

If you're looking for something a little different, look into the Schecter semi-hollow bodies. IMO they're at the top of all of the Schecter lines and definitely not the typical "metal" type guitar. Depending on the model you might be able to get a Piezo pickup in it too. I don't use it much but its cool and can add a lot to your tone if you use it just right. I think they're going for around $600 at guitar center these days.
Quote by omidmash
I prefer American ones, but some do like the mim and swear by it. Matter of taste and pocket. HSS ones are SOLID choice though.

it seems like i am constantly repeating myself on these forums for the last few days... lol.

i have good through at least 7 MIM strats, i found one i love it is a 1994 or a 1996, and it is in a whole league of its own when it came to the other MIM's i have. it is just a great guitar. i am sure i will pickup an american tele and strat at some point in time, but i got my eyes on some other stuff first.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The Gibson LP Studios sound pretty damn hot
I'll be sure to try them and the Fender strats as well as the Schecter semihollows.
another strong contender would be an Peavey Wolfgang. they are easy to find <$500 and are incredible for the price. i have one with a floyd, one without. paid $450 shipped for the US hardtail. payed $380 for the one with the floyd.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well I decided I'm probably going used.
So it looks like my best options are a Gibson SG, LP Studio, or a Fender HSS.
Am I getting that right?
Last edited by scarhawk at Nov 23, 2011,
So I edged up my budget to ~$600 and will go for a used guitar.
Are the SGs / LP Studios / Strats still my best bet?
So I tried a LP Studio, SG Faded and a SG Standard and I know that for sure I want a SG. However, I hear lots of people claiming the SG Classic (or SG 60's tribute which is practically the same with a cheaper finish I think) is better than the SG Standard.

What are you guys' take on this?
Quote by scarhawk
So I tried a LP Studio, SG Faded and a SG Standard and I know that for sure I want a SG. However, I hear lots of people claiming the SG Classic (or SG 60's tribute which is practically the same with a cheaper finish I think) is better than the SG Standard.

What are you guys' take on this?

That is all personal prefrence dude
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If it's new Ozzy, go for ESP/LTD because Metallica and Gus G use those guitars.
If it's old Ozzy, go for something Epiphone or Gibby. Zakk and Randy used Gibsons.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
If it's new Ozzy, go for ESP/LTD because Metallica and Gus G use those guitars.
If it's old Ozzy, go for something Epiphone or Gibby. Zakk and Randy used Gibsons.

Well I know I want a Gibson SG. It's just that I can't decide between the Classic and the Standard. It's basically P90s vs 498/490 now
Humbuckers are probably a better bet for you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Humbuckers are probably a better bet for you.

+311
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!