I figure this forum's the most appropriate for this thread.

I've heard people refer to certain music as being "one-dimensional." I can't really figure out what this means. I understand if they're referring to, say, a guy singing shallow lyrics with a poor vocal range with just his acoustic to back him as being one-dimensional. Y'know, music that is superficial and not that "deep," if you will.
But a few weeks ago a buddy of mine deemed Tchaikovsky's music as one-dimensional. I really didn't understand his usage of the term, and in retrospect I should've asked him what he meant, but unfortunately I didn't. I was a bit stunned, tbh, as from what I gather the term has somewhat of a negative connotation.

Can anybody shed a more light on this term?
MATTERHORN
Usually used by people who want to sound elitist.

There ARE appropriate times for it, like listening to a black metal musician who plays the same two notes for 1 hour straight. I'd say objectively that's as close to real one-dimensional as you get can.
Personally, I'd say the guy who said that to you is trolling.
It's spelled wiener.
...he's deeming tchaikovsky's music as one-dimensional? wow, and i thought i was elitist...

when he becomes a celebrated composer you can listen to him. until then, treat him as you would your village idiot.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
...he's deeming tchaikovsky's music as one-dimensional? wow, and i thought i was elitist...

Lawls...

Yeah, I agree though, just ignore him. Although, I dont know what he means by one dimensional, he's probably an idiot. I don't actually know what anyone means by one dimensional...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I've heard people call Tchaikovsky one-dimensional because he has a big knack for strong passion and the dramatic that he never seems to restrain. Some people find that somewhat childish.

From a theory standpoint I've also had people say that he refers too strongly on his melodies and sequences rather than having a pristine form and development the way German composers often do.
Last edited by Vlasco at Nov 20, 2011,
Well, he is very elitist when it comes to classical (Baroque, Romantic, etc.) music – to the point where you can't have a discussion without it feeling like/turning into an argument.
And he definitely was not trolling lol.

Anyway,
Quote by Vlasco
I've heard people call Tchaikovsky one-dimensional because he has a big knack for strong passion and the dramatic that he never seems to restrain. Some people find that somewhat childish.

From a theory standpoint I've also had people say that he refers too strongly on his melodies and sequences rather than having a pristine form and development the way German composers often do.

Hm, I'm gonna have to spend some time thinking about this.

I mean, this isn't about defending Tchaikovsky or putting down my friend, but, I dunno.

It was just weird.
MATTERHORN
It's pretty factual that he isn't a particularly versatile composer, but what he does he does damn well. I'm not sure that I would call the lack of versatility one-dimensional, however.
Last edited by Vlasco at Nov 20, 2011,