The family of an American man who died after he was accidentally given a medicine used in executions is suing the hospital.

Richard Smith, 79, died at Miami's North Shore Hospital on July 30 last year after being given Pancuronium, a muscle relaxant, instead of the antacid Pepcid.

"They basically said 'I'm sorry to have to tell you this but the nurse administered the wrong medication,'" Mr Smith's son, Marc told WPBF.

Mr Smith went to the hospital with shortness of breath and stomach pains.

Not long after he was administered the potentially lethal drug he suffered cardiac arrest.

Doctors were able to resuscitate Mr Smith but his brain function was irreparably damaged and he died a month later.

The nurse who made the fatal error was fined $2,700 and forced to undergo retraining after an internal review found the nurse on duty didn't read the label on the medicine, failed to scan it and failed to scan Mr Smith's patient ID bracelet.

The North Shore Hospital issued a statement in response saying: "This was a tragic event that was immediately self-reported to the agency for health care administration."

"We conducted an internal review and have several new processes in place to ensure a situation like this doesn't happen again."

Media outlets have questioned why the hospital stores its Pancuronium next to drugs for minor ailments like stomach aches.
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail
me2 and everyone picks on me

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
Sauce?

EDIT: Fuck.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Derp.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by metaldud536
How about a link to the article? You seem to be making a lot of threads too.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8376863

i made 2
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
Shit happens. What's your point?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Ah, that's more like it. Now,

Dayum

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

exactly..
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail

Quote by itamar100

Incompetence. I sucks when someone that could potentially kill someone else is incompetent. The fucked up part is that she is retraining instead of being barred from nursing or any other position in the medical field for that matter.
Damn, thats a shitty nurse. Why keep him alive for a month though if his brain was damaged so badly?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by suckmahnuts
Why do they even have that drug on hand...?
I'm sure it has more uses than only being one of the many drugs they inject during an execution.
Quote by JAHellraiser
Damn, thats a shitty nurse. Why keep him alive for a month though if his brain was damaged so badly?
I smell a euthanasia-related shitstorm approaching.

Quote by sglover34479
Seems like it alone killed him pretty well.

I'm guessing a lot more of it was used than normal, seeing as she thought it was something else.
Quote by sglover34479

Ever hear of the concept of different dosages?

Sucks that he died, but these things do occasionally happen. The people doing these things are human after all, and we all make terrible mistakes from time to time.
Quote by sglover34479

The nurse was under the impression it was a different drug which would easily lead to an incorrect dose being given. You're letting that big scary execution word in the thread title get to you.
Quote by daytripper75

Sucks that he died, but these things do occasionally happen. The people doing these things are human after all, and we all make terrible mistakes from time to time.

yea thats what id say if it happened to someone i know
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail

Quote by itamar100

The drug she administered was the drug they give to paralyze you before execution, it's not what's actually used to kill you, just saying.
Quote by daytripper75

That's true, but for high risk jobs and activities, there are precautionary measures that help prevent the inevitable accidents. She bypassed those measures.

I've worked on a Flight deck on carrier, one of the most dangerous places to work. The ridiculous amount of rules and people up your ass about them gets old, but it's those rules that keep people alive.
Quote by daytripper75

Why would you give a bunch of small doses if you're killing a person?
Quote by sglover34479
Why would you give a bunch of small doses if you're killing a person?

Because that particular drug is to relax the muscles, not kill them.
Quote by daytripper75

True, however, nurses are trained to not make mistakes like this. She did pay 2,700 for the damages and have to retake courses, but, do you think she'll forget about killing a man because of her error?

It's not just for the benefit of the patient, it's for her sake as well.
Quote by Lulzcifer

Richard Smith, 79, died at Miami's North Shore Hospital on July 30 last year after being given Pancuronium, a muscle relaxant, instead of the antacid Pepcid.

Media outlets have questioned why the hospital stores its Pancuronium next to drugs for minor ailments like stomach aches.

The alphabet is fucking hard, isn't it, media? Not like you use it for a living or anything.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I hope they're just suing the hospital for funeral charges, anything else would be kind of silly.
Quote by JAHellraiser

He probably didn't have the "Do no resuscitate" line in his Will.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Not that that isn't tragic, but at least he was pretty old, it would be horrible for that to happen to a kid or a younger adult.
sunbather is shit
Its not an execution drug, geeze. Its used in lethal injections(3 drugs involved) as a muscle relaxant, its not some ****ing death pill
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
She didn't even read the label or scan it?

WTF did she just choose a drug at random?
Quote by devourke
Because that particular drug is to relax the muscles, not kill them.

This.

Potassium chloride is the lethal drug, causing arrythmia, until the heart finally runs out of gas and stops.
Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

1, any substance in excess can kill anyone
2, people **** up, shit like this is bound to happen
3, good thing the nurse is having to face some repurcussions even though nothing can bring back a life