Page 1 of 3
What is the local music scene like where your from? How are the bands? How many people go out to the shows? I live in Michigan, and it seems the local music scene has died compared to what it was 4-5 year ago. I remember when I was in highschool playing local shows or going to them, they'd be packed! I took a break from playing or going to shows for a few years (just started again this year) and it's nothing like what it use to be. There's not as many talented bands, and you're lucky if theres 15 people at a show excluding the members of other bands!
Is it like that everywhere? Or just my part of Michigan?
ESP/ltd EC-1000 snow white
ESP/ltd MH-1000NT See Through Blue
Peavey 6505+
Mesa traditional 4x12 (x pattern 2 v30's and 2 g12h30's)
ISP decimator/Tc Electronics Polytune/Ts9 Tubescreamer

Check out my band! www.facebook.com/blackentheskyline
Where are you from? Is it worse than the 15ish people we have going to shows?
Peavey 6505+

Good and bad, lots of people going to bad shows. Seriously where I live is the epitome lame metal core kids that think they can scream or play an instrument. Other than that there is a pretty big hippy town 10 minutes away that I go to on a Saturday morning to busk at the markets, that goes down well, happy people good vibes.
I'd say it's good for the amount of people that live on my island. The only problem is the music scene here isn't my favorite kind of music, a lot of reggae for the most part.
Absolute s*it, the only bands coming out are made of posers who play just because they think it looks cool to be on a stage and have attention, but are totally soulless...the few good and serious bands are anyway not fully appreciated, because I think there's too much musical ignorance around here, bands get misunderstood and underestimated.
30 minutes in any direction from me has a good DIY punk scene, 45-60 minutes away has awesome old punk bands playing weekly.

Im trying to start a folk/bluegrass/folk punk band down here, but no one wants to play in one, and the ones who do dont have instruments.

I own a banjo, washboard, oil can slide guitar, 2 acoustics, a washtub bass, mandolin, and making a musical saw soon, and theyre all going to waste

My punk band does well though
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Not to bad, there are no dedicated music venues on the island anymore though. There is a culture of duo's here that play around all the pubs. People do come out, but a lot can't be bothered due to rediculous bus fares and a few last busses being at 6:30.

There are a lot of bands here though and lots of talent, it's just hard to find anywhere to play.
From the Isle of Wight.
Live in Norway close to Oslo. We have one REALLY great scene, and some other scenes which is pretty good. It's a place for young bands, so it's a lot of them! Really talented young bands.
Really nice place to live!
Non existent
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Belfast, Northern Ireland. We have a KILLER music scene. Y'all should come visiting!!
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by chasetheabyss
Absolute s*it, the only bands coming out are made of posers who play just because they think it looks cool to be on a stage and have attention, but are totally soulless...the few good and serious bands are anyway not fully appreciated, because I think there's too much musical ignorance around here, bands get misunderstood and underestimated.

you don't happen to live in south east Queensland Australia do you? 100% my local scene.
Oslo, Stockholm, California, London. Great places for music...

I live in a town outside Glasgow, it's shoddy but I can still see old men perform ACDC, Led Zep, Maiden, Black Sabbath etc etc.

Glasgow scene plays a lot of gigs but there's not as many supporters as there could be for small-time gigs.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by OG frenchy
you don't happen to live in south east Queensland Australia do you? 100% my local scene.

Shamefully, I live in Italy...In the North, to be specific.
Amazing, the past couple of years it just exploded. Bands like Pretty Blue Guns, Ashtray Electric, New Holland, Taxi Violence, The Plastics, etc. are really doing great. Shows are packed on a good night. The smallest gig I've been to was like 25 in a small venue. It's really amazing compared to 5 years ago.
Boston. It's great.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Lots of ultra popular Alt Rock bands (not one of them even slightly orignial- all using the same formula- 4 powerchord chorus, 4 powerchords minus the fifth in verses, lots of moans), lots of not so popular death mtal and metalcore bands (some of them actually are quite good, tight playing etc, but again, same old same old).

And nothing in between.
The show I played last night, the bill consisted of this:

My band (Early 90's Alt Rock)
Screaming Metal
Screaming Metal
Screaming Metal
Alternative Rock
Hardcore Screamo

I respect em but when you play a show and all you hear for the next 4 hours afterwards is "I WANT TO BUTTER YOUR TOAST" while all the guitars are like "CHUGGA CHUGGA!", it feels the same.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Very very poor.

Screamo/screamo/screamo/screamo/growlo/growlo/growlo/growlo/chugga/chugga/chugga/chugga/pop/pop/pop/pop/pop/metallica/metallica/metallica/metallica
Australia has no music scene anymore.

But we have a fEckload of "Scene kids" with the Mac garage-band, acoustic guitars and synth shite...

Ffs
Athens, Greece. Quite a good music scene... on thrash, black/death and core. My band plays symphonic and we average 20-30 people in shows (we are also on an economical crisis). I'd so much like to live in Scandinavia or any other part of Northern Europe for that matter, great music, great listeners, great opportunities. When I become an adult hopefully I'll be able to.
Right on TS, I'm from Michigan too

Well if you go to Detroit you can get a taste of pretty much anything & everything, so no complaints there.

Out here in the 'burbs though it's all about Indie Rock & Dubstep , that's where I have a few complaints.
There's like, two local bands here I think. I'm awful at music so it doesn't mind me, missing an opportunity I wouldn't really have to begin with.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
It's...decent?

I haven't really paid much attention to it. I wish I was a part of it, though.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Boston. It's great.

Explain. What makes it great? I'm looking to book shows for my band out of state, and possibly move out of state. But I want to go somewhere where there's going to be some type of music scene better than here in Michigan seeing as music is what I like to do with my life.
Peavey 6505+

Quote by guitarman1507
Explain. What makes it great? I'm looking to book shows for my band out of state, and possibly move out of state. But I want to go somewhere where there's going to be some type of music scene better than here in Michigan seeing as music is what I like to do with my life.

Oh sorry I wasn't thinking specifically about rock bands, which I don't really have an interest in. I was just thinking about how much great variety of music there are, and how many (highly skilled) musicians there are in this city, and how easy and cheap/free it is to find great and innovative live music virtually every night (a lot of music institutions, organizations, clubs, and concerts).

For startup bands, I actually don't think Boston's very good for it. Most bars and venues here (and NYC) makes it prohibitive for bands to get people to come to shows. They almost discourage audiences because they require a front door fee just to see the band, of which the band barely gets a cut. Who besides your friends are gonna pay to see a band they've never heard of?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by devourke
Nonexistant

aaaaaaannnd

/thread
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Posting links of local bands. I live in Suffolk.

Foreign Bodies - hardcore/mathcore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUiNcu_UpI

Ainslies Vibes - blues/jazz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6WfACLZWk

Atlas&i - post hardcore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6G6Uhwso8

Cruel Folk - Folk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pro5HkG8IS4

I'm pretty pleased with my local scene: lots of blues, and some good hardcore.

EDIT: Oh, and we also have The Adicts and The Groovedoctors.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by rockstar2be
Amazing, the past couple of years it just exploded. Bands like Pretty Blue Guns, Ashtray Electric, New Holland, Taxi Violence, The Plastics, etc. are really doing great. Shows are packed on a good night. The smallest gig I've been to was like 25 in a small venue. It's really amazing compared to 5 years ago.

SOUTH AFRICA!!!!

There are so many good bands, but not all of them make the big break that I think many of them deserve - like 12th Avenue, they're amazing (Mark Haze!). Off the top of my head, the biggest South African-born bands that made it internationally are Seether and Just Jinger.
Quote by fassw8614
Right on TS, I'm from Michigan too

Well if you go to Detroit you can get a taste of pretty much anything & everything, so no complaints there.

Out here in the 'burbs though it's all about Indie Rock & Dubstep , that's where I have a few complaints.

Where in Michigan are you from? In a band? I've noticed that with dubstep..that's all everyone in Michigan seems to have interest in right now.
Peavey 6505+

I've found a handful of bands from here. Been in one before, then left, then started a new band and also now have another band. There are a fair few musicians around. It's always had links to music. Billy Bragg lives down the road and PJ Harvey came from here too.
Quote by Xiaoxi
who besides your friends are gonna pay to see a band they've never heard of?
I would. Just to hear music, to hear what else is out there. Local shows use to be packed to see bands no one had heard of for 5 dollars. Now no one goes to shows, and venues make you sell tickets to play with other local bands, and if you don't sell your 20 tickets for 10 dollars to play with 4 other local bands you don't play. Unless you pay out of pocket, just to play a bigger venue that still no one shows up to hear music (other than the other bands). But then most bands don't even show up untill there set, then leave as soon as they finish. I think were the only band that shows up at the start and stays untill the end.
It's just sad to see the music scene coming to this.
Peavey 6505+

Surprisingly good. Not that it's good, just surprising that there IS a scene here and it doesn't suck.
cat
I wanna hear some bands: if you guys have any local bands you deem to be good, can you post a link or something? It would be appreciated.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
I wanna hear some bands: if you guys have any local bands you deem to be good, can you post a link or something? It would be appreciated.

Check out myths and legends (metal? They have a unique sound imo), you'll have to look them up on facebook. Or if you click my bands link in my sig we posted a link to terr page on our wall. They are one of the better bands in the area I think. Well, they were before they got a new singer.
Also look up forever in fate (post hardcore), I'm not a fan of there style but they're good for what they play. From Huron Out is good (pop punk/hardcore), Cold For June (pop punk), hokori (death metal).
Just go to the link in my sig, basically all the local bands from our area have been tagged on our wall in the past few days.
There's even a video on YouTube of us on our wall if you wanna check that out too
Peavey 6505+

Last edited by guitarman1507 at Nov 20, 2011,
Page 1 of 3