Hey there I've been plating guitar for three years and I'm a lot into metal music, lately I've been listening to a lot of metalcore and I love it (please don't hate) the thing is, I have a band but I don't wanna sound like another freaking breakdown average band, so I would like to add more ''technical'' or musical bits instead of the minor armonic scale and ugly chords, so I actually have 2 questions! what scale does August Burns Red use (especially in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVAwDO3jsk&ob=av2e )
And my second questions is a bit different, I've been looking for cool scales to learn and introduce in my songs, And right now I'm learning the Phrygian Mode, my question is if it is just another scale, like the pentatonic, and I can use it whenever I want (Pretty much all my songs will be in D so im learning it from D) can I play whenever I want it or do I need a specific chord progression.
I really need the help, sorry for being too long and for my english, please help me! thanks a lot
Hi there,
Answer 1) August Burns Red will use a variety of scales across there songs. A scale is just a collection of notes (that fit into a certain pattern). When a song uses or emphasises the notes of a scale it is said to be in that key.

Answer 2) First off don't think modes are scales! It's a massive no-no! To use the "Phygrian Mode" pattern, the song must be using a modal chord progression. That is a whole other can of worms that you're best not opening up yet!
Most songs will be written in major, minor or harmonic minor scales (these are called diatonic scales, rather than modal). Just using these types of scales can create really technical and intricate music (as well as supremely simple music!). But I'm sure there's someone who can answer these things better than I have on here
Quote by Joker-82
And right now I'm learning the Phrygian Mode, my question is if it is just another scale, like the pentatonic, and I can use it whenever I want (Pretty much all my songs will be in D so im learning it from D) can I play whenever I want it or do I need a specific chord progression.

Of course this begs the question "how do you know your song is in D if you don't know how to tell a song is in D"? The answer is "you don't", and you'll most likely end up with some pattern that you don't know how to use.

Learn major and minor scales, harmonisation etc. Learn about keys and accidentals.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Actually, the different "modes" are diatonic. They're all just shifted major scales starting from a different note.

The "minor mode", for example, is just a major scale starting on the 6th scale degree. The phyrgian mode is just a starting on the 3rd scale degree (E in a C major scale).

In other words, a phyrgian in E just uses a the notes and chords of a C major scale but tonicizes E instead of C.

I think a lot of people make these modes more complicated and mysterious than they need to be.