I'm looking to upgrade my solid state head to an all tube head. I want to get an B-52 At -100 but i can't afford a new cab. Can i run a 100w tube head through a 100w cab? the only reason i ask is because i noticed on music site, that amps of this magnitude are coupled with 400w cabs or higher wattage cabinets.

And further more does it make a difference in sound?
Well if you plan on cranking it I wouldn't. The amps power is rated conservatively. I believe 100W would be clean headroom rating meaning that when cranked it could actually output much more, but I might be talking out my ass

To be safe I would couple with a cab rated at least double the amp wattage. If you blow the speakers you then have a very bad situation for your amp and OT. Infinite resistance + new amp =
You run the risk of blowing it if you run with your amp flat out. Speaker breakup can be another issue. Some people like to get some speaker breakup, you can't pull Beano without some speaker breakup. That was a JTM45 into two 25W speakers. Back when Plexis were new that was 100W into four 25W speakers. They used to pop speakers all the time but running them that hard was part of the sound. Lots and lots of classic rock was a substantial amount of speaker breakup.
You will most likely get some speaker breakup before power tube breakup with that arrangement. If you were to run a 400W cab you'd never get any speaker breakup. Whether that is a positive or a negative depends on what sound you are trying to achieve. Running speakers into breakup does reduce their life so that is a consideration when heading down that path.
Just take it easy and you'll get away with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
don't run the amp 100% and you'll be fine. You'll still be able to get loud as hell, probably louder than you'll ever be at a gig.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Meebles_1
I'm looking to upgrade my solid state head to an all tube head. I want to get an B-52 At -100 but i can't afford a new cab. Can i run a 100w tube head through a 100w cab?

yes.

Quote by Meebles_1
the only reason i ask is because i noticed on music site, that amps of this magnitude are coupled with 400w cabs or higher wattage cabinets.

the cab's power handling rating needs to meet or exceed the amp's power output rating in order to have safe operation. that being said, a speakers power handling rating is not exactly a concrete number derived from concrete specs. instead a speaker's power rating is derived from math formulas being applied to information from particular tests at particular frequency ranges. same thing goes for an amplifier's output (rated output at RMS is all well and good, but this generalizes speaker response curves that tell much more of the story).

therefore, you more often find OEM speakers that are rated quite a bit higher than an amplifier's rated output just to make things more consistent.

also, since your head and amp are so closely rated, this means you should keep an ear out for any stressing of the speaker and turn down accordingly if you hear your speakers straining too hard.

Quote by Meebles_1
And further more does it make a difference in sound?

sure it does. speakers with a higher power rating (in comparison to the amp it is getting matched with) will act more linear, will sound more flat across a wider range of volume output, and tends to have tighter low end.

speakers with a lower power rating (in comparison to the amp it is getting matched with) will act more non-linear (respond to player dynamics by changing tone), will sound more dynamic across a wider range of volume output (the 'speaker distortion' phenomenon), and tends to have muddier low end and tends to color the signal more because of these characteristics.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 20, 2011,