hey guys! i dont know if youve been experiencing this problem of mine..
so yesterday i bought a pack of D'addario gauge 13, 80-15 strings and just restringed this morning. now, after around 5-7 hours of use, my strings sound dull and the B and high E strings are starting to rust. i guess its also because of my poisonous hand sweat. and now im really pissed since daddarios arent that cheap. they should last at least a good 2 months for me, and after 7 hours, theyve let me down.

so does anyone know at all a technique of some sort to brighten these wound strings once again? my theory is that the salt from hand sweat got in the wound and dried up there, making it sound dull. then again, im not sure. it might help.

thanks
5-7 hours of play time = how long actually?

There's nothing that really revitalises dead strings once they're gone that I know of.

General tips:

Make sure your hands are clean before you play.
Wipe your strings down with a lint free cloth each time after you play.
Keep your guitar in a well humidified environment.
Use coated strings.
Last edited by tom183 at Nov 23, 2011,
Boiling your strings is an old trick to make them sound brighter again. They won't sound like new, but it does work to some extent.
REGGIE
I sometimes use "talc powder" (I don't know how you say it but the translation would be something like that) on my hands to avoid sweating. I have no proof that it works though...
Quote by tom183
5-7 hours of play time = how long actually?

There's nothing that really revitalises dead strings once they're gone that I know of.

General tips:

Wipe your strings down with a lint free cloth each time after you play.
Keep your guitar in a well humidified environment.
Use coated strings.

around 6 im guessing. im not so sure. but very near there.
I have tried numerous types of brands over the years and have found that the D'Addarios work about as fine as any of them. As to the price, here in the US if you buy them by the 10 pack they run $5.00 per set.

As to rusting I never have seen that problem occur in a 24 hour period.

Be sure to start with clean hands and then use a alcohol base hand wipe/towelette, they work great. As someone else stated, frequently wipe down your strings.

New strings will sound quite chimey for the first hours of play but will lose that after about 10 hours of play but will still sound bright. No matter how clean you keep your strings they will eventually sound dull (about two to three week for me) due to a build up of oils, dirt, and skin from your hands and the natural stretch of the strings.

The quality and wood type of the guitar will also have an effect on how long the strings sound bright.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
As to using talc powder, my understanding is that some of pros use it but the powder will eventually work it's way into the wound strings, but if you restring often it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by scissorstotheth
hey guys! i dont know if youve been experiencing this problem of mine..
so yesterday i bought a pack of D'addario gauge 13, 80-15 strings and just restringed this morning. now, after around 5-7 hours of use, my strings sound dull and the B and high E strings are starting to rust. i guess its also because of my poisonous hand sweat. and now im really pissed since daddarios arent that cheap. they should last at least a good 2 months for me, and after 7 hours, theyve let me down.

so does anyone know at all a technique of some sort to brighten these wound strings once again? my theory is that the salt from hand sweat got in the wound and dried up there, making it sound dull. then again, im not sure. it might help.

thanks

My father was a chronic alcoholic, and he used to make watches stop and the bands rot off. As they say in computer parlance, "garbage in, garbage out".

I offer this an anecdote. and not in accusatory manner.

Eric Clapton has said he likes to eat fried chicken before he plays. This would save buying cases of Finger Ease, and provide a source of high quality saturated fats.

Other than that, granted that the metallic twang goes away rapidly. For those artists seeking that type of sound, they probably restring their acoustics before every gig.

Just because the twang has gone away, doesn't mean the strings are shot.

My solution, buy an acoustic amp with spring reverb, and twang away to your hearts content. even with day old strings.
Boiling then wiping with WD40 has worked for me when new strings haven't been available.Cheers
it's more likely that you have acidic skin than that it's the salt. there are a fair amount of people with "string killer hands" - they tend to do better with coated strings, of which there are several brands. i found elixers to be bright for my taste, so maybe they're worth a shot since you like bright.

in the meantime, when using regular strings, always a good idea to wash your hands before you play thoroughly, rinse them thoroughly as some soaps can leave a residue that will clog the wrapped strings, and don't use lotion before you play. don't use talc as it will clog the wrapped strings. if you're sweating while you play, get a micro fiber cloth and wipe the unwrapped strings (you said those were the ones that went bad, right?) periodically. if your hands sweat a lot, you can wash them or at least dry them periodically while you play. some guys with string killer hands try changes in diet - don't recall what changes were made or whether it helped, but google is your friend.

btw, boiling strings is mostly effective for getting gunk out from between the wraps of the wrapped strings.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Lightly dust some alum powder on your hands after washing and drying them thoroughly.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1