Hey all, noob here so please bear with me. I play in a hard rock band (Tool, Chevelle, A perfect circle) I'm currently using an Epiphone Les Paul through an RP350 into a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo tube amp. I very much like the tone of the amp so in order to keep my tone un-altered I DO NOT use any of the RP350's amp or cab simulations, no EQ, no compression, no noise gate, etc. I only use the RP350 for FX (Phase, Flange, delay Wah, etc.). Recently I have been looking to upgrade to another multi-effects pedal or maybe switching to individual pedals, I have been looking at the Boss GT-10 and have a few questions.

I prefer the multi-effects route for ease of use and its cheaper, but am I really hurting myself that much by choosing multi-effects over individual pedals? Even if a buy a somewhat high end multi-effects pedal like the GT-10?

I want the pedal to effect my amp's tone as little as possible by not using the amp/cab simulations and using the pedal only for the FX, this is pretty easy with the RP350, is it also easy on the GT-10? Is there a better choice in multi-effects pedals for me since I dont intend to use the amp/cab simulations at all? Budget is around $400-$500, new or used.

I currently run the RP350 straight into the input of the amp, not using the FX loop. Should I stop doing this? I've heard that WAH is supposed to be done before the pre-amp, so if I'm using the WAH on the multi-effects pedal, wouldn't that mean that I couldn't use it in the effects loop? Is the answer the same for any multi-effects pedal with an effects loop?

Thanks very much for any help. I apologize for my n00byness.
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
If you only want FX you could get a rack FX unit in your budget that would blow most of the pedal based units away. I use a G Major 2 by TC electronics, and it's solid. Has no amp / cab models at all, strictly effects.

The downside is that you'll need a rack enclosure (small ones can be found pretty cheap) and a midi controller (can also be found cheap)
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
i would have thought if you aren't going to be using half the features of any multi fx you might be better served by getting individual pedals tbh, probably better value for money long term and you could always add extra pedals later or chain in your rp350 as well if you wanted to add the effects you aren't currently using later
How many effects do you need? I own the gt10 and it's a BEAST for effects, but no distortion stuff. Easy to dial in once you know your stuff and it comes with an epic pedal which is built like a tank.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by jpatan
If you only want FX you could get a rack FX unit in your budget that would blow most of the pedal based units away. I use a G Major 2 by TC electronics, and it's solid. Has no amp / cab models at all, strictly effects.

The downside is that you'll need a rack enclosure (small ones can be found pretty cheap) and a midi controller (can also be found cheap)

Looks pretty cool, i like that its dedicated for FX. Although its a little out of my price range considering the rack enclosure and midi controller. Also, seems a little light on the variety of effects aswell, no phaser? Maybe I just didn't read into it enough.

Quote by omidmash
How many effects do you need? I own the gt10 and it's a BEAST for effects, but no distortion stuff. Easy to dial in once you know your stuff and it comes with an epic pedal which is built like a tank.

I like the variety from the GT-10 with the research I've done on it. It seems like it has a whole lot of effects and I defidently like to experiment with them when writing (big Tool influence). Is it easy to dial out the distortions, amp/cab sims, and all the other non-FX so when I have the effects off it's similiar to simply plugging my guitar into the front of my amp?
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Quote by Slimjim5792
Looks pretty cool, i like that its dedicated for FX. Although its a little out of my price range considering the rack enclosure and midi controller. Also, seems a little light on the variety of effects aswell, no phaser? Maybe I just didn't read into it enough.

I like the variety from the GT-10 with the research I've done on it. It seems like it has a whole lot of effects and I defidently like to experiment with them when writing (big Tool influence). Is it easy to dial out the distortions, amp/cab sims, and all the other non-FX so when I have the effects off it's similiar to simply plugging my guitar into the front of my amp?

It's easy as hell ONCE you get used to it. Might take a day or two. It has a bypass when you hit it's tuner in. It has SOME modelling such as Recti or famous JC120 but very well, I'm not fancying the distortion. For effects, I would dare to say it's the best Multi-Effect PEDAL. The G major is better if you have a rack, but as for footpedal, this thing is a beast.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
It's easy as hell ONCE you get used to it. Might take a day or two. It has a bypass when you hit it's tuner in. It has SOME modelling such as Recti or famous JC120 but very well, I'm not fancying the distortion. For effects, I would dare to say it's the best Multi-Effect PEDAL. The G major is better if you have a rack, but as for footpedal, this thing is a beast.

Is it possible to simply turn off the modeling though? For instance, with the RP350 I can goto the AMP setting and disable it, so it doesn't process the signal at all.
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Line 6 has a unit.... the M9 IIRC?? that is effects only. Also the POD HD series has amp/cab models that can be turned off.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Any info on the effects loop issue? If using WAH, can you still use the effects loop as opposed to plugging into the input of the amp? What are the advantages of using the effects loop?
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
i am doing the same thing with my BV120. from what i have read there is something called the 4 cable method that u can use. it keeps your amps distortion and clean chanels and uses the modulation fx in the fx loop of your amp.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xycl.de%2Fen%2Fguitar-effects%2Fboss-gt%2F4-cable-method.html&ei=4EXJTvWIK8WC2wWAx_iQBQ&usg=AFQjCNHk5pt_x1wl1EDYJBKGZ99Bj1IOnA

hope that helps.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Slimjim5792
Is it possible to simply turn off the modeling though? For instance, with the RP350 I can goto the AMP setting and disable it, so it doesn't process the signal at all.

yes you can just toggle it (and all effects) on and off with a button press

Quote by Slimjim5792
If using WAH, can you still use the effects loop as opposed to plugging into the input of the amp? What are the advantages of using the effects loop?

yeah use the 4 cable method like above, that way you can add the effects after the actual amp's own preamp so you don't colour the tone before it is amplified
Ahhh, okay very cool. So it sounds like the GT-10 with the 4 cable method is what I'm looking for. Thank you iheartgun for that link, very helpful. I was especially concerned with the amp modeling (probably because I very much dislike the amp modeling on my RP350), but since I can turn it off, its no issue. And the broad range of effects that it has is really impressive. I was looking at the POD HD500 as well but they seem to be pretty comparable for my needs (I've heard that the GT-10's amp modeling isn't very good in comparison, which I obviously dont care about). And I have my eyes on a $330 GT-10 on ebay, and the cheapest POD I have found is $420. So I'll snatch that GT-10 up unless somebody has anything to add.

Thanks everyone for their help and patience so much!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects