Page 1 of 2
Any bowhunters on here have any luck this season? I noticed a "firearms" thread but wanted a bow only thread to discuss equipment, tactics, etc. I hunt with a 55lbs Fred bear Montana longbow, Easton powerflight 400 with 125 grain nap thunderheads.
Always wanted to go hunting with my uncle, and typically he only uses crossbows. What game do you hunt?
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
K koo. But seriously? I can hardly imagine a humane death when the cause of it is a sharpened stick in your lung.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
You realize the "Firearms" thread covers ALL weapons, right? Read the OP brotato.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JamSessionFreak
K koo. But seriously? I can hardly imagine a humane death when the cause of it is a sharpened stick in your lung.

Well what would be considered a "humane death"?

EDIT @ OP: Nice.
Quote by JustRooster
You realize the "Firearms" thread covers ALL weapons, right? Read the OP brotato.

True, but 99percent of the posts are about guns, not trying to be snobbish just making it easier for archers to have a place to discuss. Alot of the outdoor forums do this
Quote by KnightBand
Always wanted to go hunting with my uncle, and typically he only uses crossbows. What game do you hunt?

I've never tried a crossbow, my brother has one. The "phoenix" by excaliber
I'm a bowhunter. I haven't had any luck with whitetail this year, but I got a pretty nice speed goat in Wyoming in September.

Quote by JamSessionFreak

Ignorance all up in here.
Last edited by BurningStarlV at Nov 20, 2011,
lol @ "sharpened stick"
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
You see me trollin', you hatin'! Well, sorta. Actually, no I'm not. I find it a little baffeling how killing for pleasure can be so exceptable in peoples eyes. At least when it's for food I can say that it's necessary and that I take no pleasure in killing it. But I find it hard to see this ethical.
And don't even try to use the 'It's for the outdoor experience' excuse because I can say the same thing for mowing down your kids with a chainsaw.

Wait. I just decided that it's best to leave thos thread since it's not about debating the ethic issues of hunting.
Farwell, fine sirs.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
You see me trollin', you hatin'! Well, sorta. Actually, no I'm not. I find it a little baffeling how killing for pleasure can be so exceptable in peoples eyes. At least when it's for food I can say that it's necessary and that I take no pleasure in killing it. But I find it hard to see this ethical.
And don't even try to use the 'It's for the outdoor experience' excuse because I can say the same thing for mowing down your kids with a chainsaw.

Keeping animal populations in check, you don't think it's always open season do you?
I'm a level 3 Dunmer with a Bonemold Longbow; I shot a pretty nasty Nix Hound right above the shoulder earlier today. It's okay though because I use all the meat so it's not wasteful.
LtBrenton

Quote by Douglas Adams
The art of flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Quote by soulflyV

If I didn't have a mudkip in there, I'd sig that.

http://ltbrenton.wordpress.com My blog. Check it out.

☠ ☠ ☠
Quote by KnightBand
Keeping animal populations in check, you don't think it's always open season do you?

Ah, ye, the perfect excuse. So perfect in fact, that our country has several jokes on the matter, most of which are depicting the reality quite well. I am not going to tell you all of theme since they hardly differ but the main theme is the problem that idiots with guns have an excuse to kill animals even though they don't know shit about the ecosystem itself.
Now I'm not sure about the laws in the States but I find it a little strange that we rather let uneducated hunters take over keeping the populations at bay rather then experts with proper diplomas/degrees who could at least use the dead animals for research or (just a crazy thought) relocate the animals to areas where the ecosystem could benefit from their presence.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Wait. I just decided that it's best to leave thos thread since it's not about debating the ethic issues of hunting.
Farwell, fine sirs.

You're the type of person I hate the most.

Just because hunting isn't a part of your culture of life doesn't mean it's wrong. It's not just about killing animals for fun. It's about spending time outdoors and developing a connection to nature, spending time with family, and of course, eating wild game. Comparing it to "mowing down your kids with a chainsaw" is just fucking stupid. I don't see what point you're trying to make with that argument.

Also, I hope you're a vegan, because hunting is more humane than meat production. In my opinion, if you eat meat and are against hunting, you're an idiot.

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Ah, ye, the perfect excuse. So perfect in fact, that our country has several jokes on the matter, most of which are depicting the reality quite well. I am not going to tell you all of theme since they hardly differ but the main theme is the problem that idiots with guns have an excuse to kill animals even though they don't know shit about the ecosystem itself.
Now I'm not sure about the laws in the States but I find it a little strange that we rather let uneducated hunters take over keeping the populations at bay rather then experts with proper diplomas/degrees who could at least use the dead animals for research or (just a crazy thought) relocate the animals to areas where the ecosystem could benefit from their presence.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Farwell, fine sirs.

Someone who really cares about the environment, animals, etc. understands the place hunting has in ecosystems.

A PETA minded person doesn't. But I'm glad you acknowledge you don't have to stay.

On topic, I've thought about bowhunting/ archery related sports. I've only used them in scouts and found them more fun than firearms. But I don't have the money nor know-how to really get any more into it at this point in my life :/
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by RU Experienced?
I'm a level 3 Dunmer with a Bonemold Longbow; I shot a pretty nasty Nix Hound right above the shoulder earlier today. It's okay though because I use all the meat so it's not wasteful.

It's mammoth season in Skyrim.
Quote by BurningStarlV
You're the type of person I hate the most.

Just because hunting isn't a part of your culture of life doesn't mean it's wrong. It's not just about killing animals for fun. It's about spending time outdoors and developing a connection to nature, spending time with family, and of course, eating wild game. Comparing it to "mowing down your kids with a chainsaw" is just fucking stupid. I don't see what point you're trying to make with that argument.

Also, I hope you're a vegan, because hunting is more humane than meat production. In my opinion, if you eat meat and are against hunting, you're an idiot.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

We have a great connection here since you're also one of the types I hate the most. Now I'll just give you one question and I'll be gone since it's pointless to argue over the internet.
But my question is:
Are you perhaps religious?
You don't have to answer it and quite frankly I don't give a rat's ass if you do. And no, I a, not vegan and I'm aware of the cruelty in meat production. It's not the way in which the animal dies, it's the mindset of the hunter that disturbs be. And can you please explain to me how killing an animal for the experience is different from killing a human for the experience.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Someone who really cares about the environment, animals, etc. understands the place hunting has in ecosystems.

This this and, oh yeah, this.
Quote by JamSessionFreak

The "experts with degrees" are the ones who help create the laws and maintain regulations and check stations along the way. There's more to the process than "go shoot it"- you need to get a licence and you can only shoot what that licence allows you to shoot. The ecologists and forest management staff will notice if hunters over-shoot or kill females, and will cut back the allowed licences for that year of registration/whatever.

This isn't some mindless hobby; while I personally don't like the idea of hunting or killing myself, I know its place and respect that it's a very carefully maintained and sustainable practice when biologists and hunters work together.
Dammit, I forgot I promised to leave. Forget my qjestions, leave it be. Have fun!
Edit: One last remark before my departure. You misunderstood me - I'm not against hunting but I'm conserned with the lack of regulations in Slovenia. Good bye, again

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
And can you please explain to me how killing an animal for the experience is different from killing a human for the experience.

Conscience for the most part.

And for everything else, it's exactly the same. We just have laws against it.
Quote by JDizzle787

Hunters are fags period.

Im pissing all over this thread

How does it feel to hold a big gun and run after a thing twice smaller than you?

If you told me you just like killing because it makes up for your lack of balls, it would be easier y'know but giving me that shit about ecosystem and loving animals? Give me a break.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
We have a great connection here since you're also one of the types I hate the most. Now I'll just give you one question and I'll be gone since it's pointless to argue over the internet.
But my question is:
Are you perhaps religious?
You don't have to answer it and quite frankly I don't give a rat's ass if you do. And no, I a, not vegan and I'm aware of the cruelty in meat production. It's not the way in which the animal dies, it's the mindset of the hunter that disturbs be. And can you please explain to me how killing an animal for the experience is different from killing a human for the experience.

I'm not religious.

Humans have a conscience and aren't just motivated by instincts the way animals are.
Quote by ArtyArnaud

Hunters are fags period.

How does it feel to hold a big gun and run after a thing twice smaller than you?

If you told me you just like killing because it makes up for your lack of balls, it would be easier y'know but giving me that shit about ecosystem and loving animals? Give me a break.

Least the animals don't just stand there waving a white flag waiting to be killed.
Quote by ArtyArnaud

Hunters are fags period.

You're French. You eat snails and fuck women who smell bad and have too much body hair.

See, I can make bold generalizations based on stereotypes too.
Quote by BurningStarlV
You're French. You eat snails and fuck women who smell bad and have too much body hair.

There's a difference between making a generalization and stating the truth.
Quote by KnightBand

I always thought crossbows were kinda useless in modern times, I mean why not just either use a gun or a bow?

Quote by JamSessionFreak

But a small burning hot piece of metal in their lung is ok by you? What's the difference? Also man up and stop being such a pussy.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I'm against hunting, unless you use the animal for food/fur/etc, killing it and leaving it is just stupid. Using the excuse "keeping the numbers in check" is just ridiculous though.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by KnightBand

Somehow I misread that as "Always wanted to go hunting with my unicycle"

I always thought crossbows were kinda useless in modern times, I mean why not just either use a gun or a bow?

I think it's kind of a mix of both to be honest.

I'm against hunting, unless you use the animal for food/fur/etc, killing it and leaving it is just stupid. Using the excuse "keeping the numbers in check" is just ridiculous though.

Well let's just have the deer population start to overpopulate and grow more accustomed to being in people's company in our neighborhoods and by our major roads/highways...not like they can get hit, they're smart animals right?

EDIT @ Saints : I wouldn't rule that out.
Quote by BurningStarlV

I won't blame you for doing it, but please do it the right way.

Being french means that you've got fine taste, the best wine & women in the world and you frenchkiss all you want. Also I only wear a beret.
Only humanity can be silly enough to see 'ethics' as the biggest wall in its existance.
Quote by naedauuf

Well, they're pretty fun to use, easier to use than a bow, more accurate and have longer range than a bow, and they're practically silent so they can be used in places that noise isn't wanted, ie hunting in a forest close to neighborhoods. Plus, there are different seasons for different weapons so you could use a crossbow on weeks that say gun season wasn't open.

Quote by Trowzaa

I have honestly never heard of anyone hunting deer or small game that wasn't going to eat them. Very few people would disagree with you. The only cases I could think of is fox hunting in England...

EDIT: And as KnightBand said, keeping the population in check is not at all ridiculous, it's a very legitimate reason hunting is necessary. Deer are incredibly overpopulated here, and my road to school is down a country two lane road for 5 or 6 miles. I see a deer crossing about once a week. Luckily I haven't hit one yet, but I have been in the car with my grandparents when they hit one, and it wasn't pretty. Plus, as they get more and more populated, they start to live closer and closer to humans and lose their fear for them. This means that they start eating in people's gardens, knocking over their trash cans looking for food, and so on. Not to mention that overpopulation also makes parasites and disease much easier to spread.

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by ArtyArnaud
I won't blame you for doing it, but please do it the right way.

Being french means that you've got fine taste, the best wine & women in the world and you frenchkiss all you want. Also I only wear a beret.

Your women also have mustaches.
Quote by KnightBand
Your women also have mustaches.

Yeah that's why we steal yours.

Quote by naedauuf

Because in modern times hunting for your meat in the woods is easier than going to wallmart?
Quote by ArtyArnaud
Because in modern times hunting for your meat in the woods is easier than going to wallmart?

I said modern times because a crossbow is useful for a bunch of troops in medieval warfare or something like that whereas today we have guns. I mean if you want to use a bow - use a bow. If you don't want to have to draw it back and all that, then just get a rifle. A crossbow is just like a very low range gun really.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Page 1 of 2