So Ive been playing guitar for about 4 years now I think, and ive lately noticed, for how long Ive been playing, I should be a lot better. I mostly play just like punk and pop punk style stuff but I like to play all kinds of rock. Heres some main problems I have and im hoping you guys can give me some excercises or tips to help me out.

playing standing up: I cant play nearly as good standing up and cant stretch my fingers nearly as far. Ill be able to play a song sitting down alright then I stand up and cant do it at all. When I stand up and play, my hand is closed more cause of the angle, and when my hand closes my pinky bends in towards my other fingers (it bends in toward my ring ie I cant stretch it very far). I dont think my pinky can reach the A string, im almost positive it cant reach the low E. Even my ring finger is bad. I can barely play a 2 finger powerchord with my index and ring. It seems easier sitting though.

unintentionaly mute open strings: Ill play like a 5 on the A and leave it there and go to play a open D and I cant. My finger on the A is hitting it and muting it. When I stand up its damn near impossible for me to play the open.

Generally cant stretch that far: I struggle to play more than like 3 frets. If i have my index on the second fret on the E, its a far reach just to put my pinky on the fifth fret on the A.

Obviously a lot of this comes down to practice (which I never do, I just **** around and play around on it when I feel like it and play songs). It really frustrates me cause I want to be a better player but it seems like I just dont have the right shaped hand for it. Is there and guitars with skinnier necks that you guys could reccomend maybe.
Thanks to whoever helps.
It's nothing to do with your hand, it's the fact that you're too lazy to practice.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Practice is always the answer.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Knapton
Obviously a lot of this comes down to practice (which I never do, I just **** around and play around on it when I feel like it and play songs).

And you still expect to improve?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by lfcagger
It's nothing to do with your hand, it's the fact that you're too lazy to practice.

I know that's my problem. I feel like i play worse standing up too. So i generally don't stand up.

It's like the guy getting a physical and he says, doc, it hurts when i do this with my arm. And the doc says "well, don't do that."

To play properly standing up i have to have the guitar so high up i look like a dweeb from the 1950's.
But everything comes back to practice in the end.
Your post's last paragraph tells me everything I need to know. You're too lazy to practice and just **** around with your guitar. See anything wrong with that? You need grab yourself by the balls and do what everyone else does, which is lots and lots of PRACTICE.

Also, try not playing with the guitar so low, that might help too
Quote by bucketkicker
I know that's my problem. I feel like i play worse standing up too. So i generally don't stand up.

It's like the guy getting a physical and he says, doc, it hurts when i do this with my arm. And the doc says "well, don't do that."

To play properly standing up i have to have the guitar so high up i look like a dweeb from the 1950's.
But everything comes back to practice in the end.

Oh no. Your guitar doesn't look cool up high. Get over it.

John Petrucci and Tom Morello manage it.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
ok well you people have clearly found the problem I guess. Any good exercises to do other than just like rolling through scales?
Quote by lfcagger

Maybe tom morello should either lower it or try sitting down from what i've heard.
Quote by Knapton
Obviously a lot of this comes down to practice (which I never do, I just **** around and play around on it when I feel like it and play songs). It really frustrates me cause I want to be a better player but it seems like I just dont have the right shaped hand for it. Is there and guitars with skinnier necks that you guys could reccomend maybe.
Thanks to whoever helps.

I really can't believe you posted this. How do you think people improve their playing of a particular instrument? Do you think if you put a piano under your pillow, that osmosis will happen overnight and after a month you can play better than the best concert pianist?

Perfection comes through practice. You identified your own problem and the others have been kind to point out what you've missed. Pick up your guitar, put it in your lap and come up with a practice regimine and stick to it. If you've been playing for four years and you haven't progressed, you only have you to blame. Come up with a practice schedule and actually adhere to it and you'll be surprised what happens in another four years.

Now, stop being lazy and get to it.
With the inconsistent practices a past issue (previously mentioned), heres a good piece of advice when i was having the standing up problem in my first month. Learn a song standing up. When you sit down you will be able to play it, when you stand up you will be able to play it. I barely ever sit down anymore. Learn songs that shape you hand as well Pentatonic scales work well and theres quite a few good songs for it (try Unavoidable Battle by Shoji Meguro (instrumental)) tabs are on my profile and its mostly based of pentatonics that work your pinky and ring finger (if you avoid using your middle finger). But there isn't an easy way except thrashing into the inconsistent practices... i mean 20 minutes a day is enough... but if you trully want to be a good player you will play hours on end... and you will enjoy it! its what guitarists (and bass guitarists) do... they improve because they want to, not because they have to!

EDIT: Also smaller neck guitars shouldn't make a difference if you are used to the guitar. But there are smaller neck guitars.
Last edited by CurtR95 at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by bucketkicker
Maybe tom morello should either lower it or try sitting down from what i've heard.

No, Tom Morello has pretty good technique and is generally a much better guitarist than people give him credit for, all while wearing his guitar exactly where it needs to be for him to do that. If you can't get past looks then frankly you don't deserve to be able to play well live anyway.

Suck it up, stop being a dick and practice or accept that you will always be a bad guitarist.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
On the standing up thing, when you practice while sitting down make sure your guitar is over your left thigh, not the right (assuming you are right handed). that'll make it more like standing up.

and yeah, practice more.
It's worth pointing out john petrucci has 2 different fake monitors for different levels of guitar-nerd-strap-height. One for "tricky" solos, one for "omfg impossible solos". Just puts on foot on giant footstand - i mean monitor - and hey presto guitar is the correct height.

And obviously practice.
Quote by lfcagger

OH YA!!
How hard and often you practice is directly proportional to how much you improve.

However, how hard and often you practice is (usually) inversely proportional to how much fun you have practicing guitar.

Solution? Just make practice fun
ggg1 ggg3