I want to have my amp's (VC15-110) tubes working at full power, or at least at half the power, and it be not too loud to play at home. Therefore I think of three solutions:
1) Is it possible to modify a tube amp to have a switch that adjusts the output power? Like on this amp - a Power Soak switch that reduces the watts? http://87.106.71.220//oma/huke/images/TubeMeisterCombo_Rearpannel.jpg

2) If that is a difficult option, then maybe it's possible to add some "Master Volume" knob at the end of the signal, for example, right before the speaker, so that the signal that comes from the power amp to the speakers is reduced (if this knob is turned low) and the speakers get a lower signal? I mean, the tubes are running at full gain, but then the result is reduced and sent into a speaker... Is that possible?

3) Maybe taking out one of the tubes can reduce the power?
Last edited by andriusd at Nov 20, 2011,
I'm not sure if taking out a tube is a good idea.

You can possibly add a power soak, but i have no idea what it would run you.

A master volume may be an idea.

you can look at a atenuator.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
look up the THD hotplate and webber attenuators
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thank you, guys, I'll have to read more about attentuators and consider them, but so far it seems that, if I understand it right, they do some sort of sound processing (http://www.zzounds.com/item--THDHP - like noise reduction, EQ, "The Hot Plate compensates for this, working like the "Loudness"", "All the attenuators on the market muffled the sound") and costs a big money...
If someone could comment more on the other options, would be good too.