i aquired a guitar a few monthes ago that needed to be repaints and rewired. i just got it back and noticed the blocks that lock the strings in the bridge are missing. would it be possible to lock the balls of the strings with just the screws or should i get the blocks?
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
i don't see why it wouldn't work, but they could slip out of place in the middle of playin, so i'd get the blocks if you can
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I wouldn't trust the screws to do that... You should just get the blocks for it, they aren't that expensive.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
I wouldn't trust the screws to do that... You should just get the blocks for it, they aren't that expensive.

Agreed. Get the blocks, their relatively cheap and it's not worth the risk.

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
I played a Floyd without blocks for about four years. Because I had the issue of my strings slipping out due to the blocks being slightly corroded. My Floyd was just right for slipping the ball of the string down in the slot and tighten the screw over top of it. I ended up trusting that way over the blocks in the end.
You can do that, but its not ideal. The wrap around the ball end and the inch or so of string past the ball end is the weakest part of a string, so it'll break easier.

But yes, it will work, just not as well as it should. Get some replacement blocks, they don't cost much at all
It will work, but it won't be as safe as just using the blocks. One of Rob Chapper's students did this to his guitar, but he doesn't use the floyd so I don't see any damage being done. But if your floyd is floating, I can clearly picture the horror upon pulling the trem up a couple semi tones. Wouldn't trust it.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez RGA121 (Employee Custom)
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
I used to do just that and I never had any problems with my floyd when I took the mind to start wanking on it. I found it to be more dependable actually because I've had issues with the string slipping out of the bridge on FR's on more than a few occasions. Personally I always liked the FR speedloader designs.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I never had any problems with floyd when I took the mind to start wanking on it. QUOTE]

Dude get the blocks, or better yet call the tech who lost them (if thats the case) and tell him to replace them.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
+1 for speedloaders

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.