I am going to save up some money to buy a new bass. My current bass is an LTD B-155 and I am very pleased with it, but after ~3 years I think it is time for a new one.

This one is choice no. 1 since I like LTDs pretty much.

This is choice no. 2. Ibanez basses are also pretty good, but ecspecially the Bartolini pickups are nice.

I will go and play them both before buying one, but I'd like to hear other opinions on these two. Also EMGs vs. Bartolinis, what do you prefer? Or maybe you have other suggestions for a new bass, which is able to compete with these.

Thanks in advance!
I think you completely need to go try them out. I also think that you have the right to get a totally new bass.
Why do you need to try them out? Well, the Ibanez bass has a really different neck than what the LTD has. Bartolinis are also said to be a bit more versatile than what EMGs are, but wouldn't build my whole opinion on that. What new basses I could suggest to you, is that you could check out the Spector Legend series basses, they're really nice too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Barts have that really edgy, farty if you will, sound. I think of Latin music when I hear Barts. EMGs have a great sound for metal, a nice big bottom end with plenty of clarity thanks to a wide-open top end.
- I like them both. But I'd use them for different things.

Maybe try a Ray35 by SBMM if you're playing death metal. Awesome bass, sounds close to a real Ray.

Also bear in mind that the ibanez has a thinner neck, which you may not like. By all means try them both and then some. You never know what you'll find.
Last edited by ExhaledFate at Nov 20, 2011,
Personally, I'd go with LTD... I'm a bit obsessive over those things haha
But, Ibanez also has some excellent basses out there, and I don't know... seeing as you already have an LTD, maybe you'd want something different. I suggest going to a shop and trying a few out.
Yeah, I prefer EMGs...
Uhh, I forgot about those thin Ibanez necks, thanks for pointing that out. I played a soundgear some years ago in a music store and I didn't like it. The Problem about Spector is that in this price range (700-900&euro they all have passive pickups, and it's also not that easy to get your hands on a Spector, when you are in Germany (forgot to mention that).

My musical taste is wide, but as far as playing goes I always played metal. I can't imagine me playing in a jazz band even though the music is nice. So I guess the 'versatility bonus' of the Bartolinis is redundant.

I resume I will make a trip to some music stores and play through some basses until I am pleased. Thanks for your opinions so far!
Quote by DeathMetal616
Uhh, I forgot about those thin Ibanez necks, thanks for pointing that out. I played a soundgear some years ago in a music store and I didn't like it. The Problem about Spector is that in this price range (700-900&euro they all have passive pickups, and it's also not that easy to get your hands on a Spector, when you are in Germany (forgot to mention that).

My musical taste is wide, but as far as playing goes I always played metal. I can't imagine me playing in a jazz band even though the music is nice. So I guess the 'versatility bonus' of the Bartolinis is redundant.

I resume I will make a trip to some music stores and play through some basses until I am pleased. Thanks for your opinions so far!

Spectors have an active EQ, right? My brother has the older version of Legend series with EMG-HZ passives with an active treble-bass EQ and it sounds really great for the price. However, his Jackson which is pre-Fender, with passive electronics, sounds even better than the Spector. And it cost a lot less.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.