I'm building a cigar box guitar, but am on a VERY tight budget, like a $70 budget, so I was wondering what are some electric guitars I could buy for around $30-40 just for the neck and electronics (minus the pickups of course) Does anyone out there know any brand names that you could find on ebay or craigslist for that price limit? I know it's ridiculous, but no job equals no money and at 14 it'll be a while before I can work. Thanks in advance Oh and the cigar box guitar will be an hh, semi-hollow body guitar with pickups from an ibanez artcore.
Hop over to the GB&C forum. Check out parts webstites like warmoth and buy the bits you need rather than salvaging rubbish from a godawful fifty quid guitar.
call me ziggy.
just shop around on craigslist. there aren't really any particular brands that will sell that cheap on a regular basis. you'll probably end up finding value pack guitars that people got as gifts and never played
I've seen First Acts at pawn shops for almost that price. They probably aren't worth it.

BTW, I got a job at 14 so I could buy a car when I turned 16. Then I had to wait another 19 years to buy my first electric guitar.

You can probably find a decent Squier neck for $80 but I'd stay away from the Starcasters.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Nov 20, 2011,
Your 14 years old and can't work?

There are plenty of things a young person can do to earn money, mow neighborhood lawns, shovel snow (in colder climes), rake, etc. etc.

I know a person very well that started alot younger who by the age of 16 was able to buy a nice used truck and started out what was to become a very sucessful lawn care company.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Your 14 years old and can't work?

There are plenty of things a young person can do to earn money, mow neighborhood lawns, shovel snow (in colder climes), rake, etc. etc.

I know a person very well that started alot younger who by the age of 16 was able to buy a nice used truck and started out what was to become a very sucessful lawn care company.

I have strict and "protective" parents, and lawn work, paper routes etc are out of the question because I live back in the woods, there are no neighbors to work for haha.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I have strict and "protective" parents, and lawn work, paper routes etc are out of the question because I live back in the woods, there are no neighbors to work for haha.

Ah! Save up for good Stihl chainsaw. : )
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar

Did´nt know they have internet in the woods...... Cool
Quote by sstony
Did´nt know they have internet in the woods...... Cool

High speed internet bro, even the rednecks are starting to get with the times a little bit
You can make your own neck out of whatever old wood you have lying around. Don't use new wood, it will probably warp. You can use ordinary wire for frets, too. Yes, they wont look fancy, but they actually work. Not great for shredding, but it IS a cigarbox you're building.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
I'm not to good at wood working, and it is going to be a 6 string cigar box guitar.

Good is a subjective matter. If you are willing to go slowly and keep at it you can succeed with only average skills. My Dad helps elementary school kids build their own cookie tin ukeleles. Yeah some of them look bad, but only because the kid has lost interest and just wants to be done. Of course, to gt a job at wood working, you have to be fast, but for your own hobby you can take as long as you want and do things three times. Especially if you are going with a cheap budget, since you wont feel bad ruining a piece of free wood.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Your 14 years old and can't wo
rk?

What the Hell kind of leave it to Beaver world do you live in where strangers would accept, be willing to pay or even afford labor work from some snotty kid? This is not the 70's anymore - that shit doesn't happen anymore.

At the least, it sure as hell doesn't happen where I live (southern California).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i have made a few cigar box electrics. Neck can be a solid great maple board from home depot, electronics are best from parts pile of either shopping on Ebay or grab some parts from online guitar suppliers. i was lucky in that i had a lot of parts from my parts pile but if you want to do it right grab up some good tuners, pickups and pots from online suppliers. If you take your time and work at it they are a REALLY fun cool project. please post some pics for us! Cigar box guitars are cool as hell!
PM me if you want to talk about some tips and tricks. they are very fun and often can be made for next to nothing.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Last edited by zenbone at Nov 25, 2011,
What about a Fender Squier is a very good option and a good deal for the money (<100). However you can search parts on ebay and it may be great deal. My advice is a Squier without a second thought.