I have been researching (google-ing) into the rockabilly acoustic guitarists of yester-year and read somewhere that Johnny Cash used to "paper deaden" his acoustic guitar strings to get that boom-chica-boom sound. Possibly Elvis used this technique in his early years as well.

Now 2 hours of searching and I couldn't find any how-to guides for this, maybe my search terms are wrong but meh! I thought i'd ask the UG community for advice, as it will be greatly appreciated!

p.s. I know they weren't really guitarists, but they did play them quite well
Taken from the Potomac Guitar Trio Website;

"Place a strip of paper six inches in length and half an inch in width through the strings as follows,

over the the high E, under the B, over the G and D, under the A, and over the low E string."

If it deadens it to much than decrease the width of the paper.

I have never tried it so I can't say as to how well it works.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
They're called "mutes" and they do just that, mute down the volume of the string to make it more mellow, and in some cases more percussive. Violins/fiddles have them, as do some mandolins. Acoustics are no different. Felt wads are usually what are used and they can be trimmed to size for the desired effect.
Actually, the purpose of the paper strip was not so much to deaden the sound but to create a primitive "fuzz" effect.
Works pretty well, experiment a little.
I've also heard that putting a rattlesnake rattle inside an acoustic guitar gives it a buzzing sound when played, but I haven't been able to keep the snake inside long enough to find out.
Use tape
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Guitbuilder
I've also heard that putting a rattlesnake rattle inside an acoustic guitar gives it a buzzing sound when played, but I haven't been able to keep the snake inside long enough to find out.

The rattlers stay in longer if you keep a few handfuls of mice in the guitar.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Yeah, to me it sounds more like a fuzzy tone than just deadening the strings. I'd try tape, like 91RG350 said.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Mice is a good idea too
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.