Ok, so I'm curious as to what makes the SG sound brighter than the LP. Does it have to do with the body size? What about electronics?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Yep I think it's because SG is so much lighter. It weights like half or less than the LP does. I'm not sure about the electronics so I can't answer that.
I think an SG sounds middier than a Les Paul. It's not actually brighter IMO.
It doesn't have the fat low-end of a Les Paul, but it also doesn't have the highs of the maple cap.
This has to do with the lack of the maple cap and the much thinner body. Therefore it has more mids in general (also the high mids which people think are highs) and doesn't sound as "fat" as a Les Paul.
Agree with Jesus crisp, it's like a less full on Les Paul in every way - weight, high end and low end tone, size, and even materials - no maple cap makes a massive difference on it's tone; to me it accentuates the low mids a lot - pairs so well with a nice tight and bright bridge pickup
I say no to VS threads, but I still like LP a lot more than SG. Shape, tone and feel.

As for the differences between them, JesusCrisp has spoken above before me. I think that the electronics are the same though... If you like compare the Gibson LP Studio to a Gibson SG Standard
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by JesusCrisp
I think an SG sounds middier than a Les Paul. It's not actually brighter IMO.
It doesn't have the fat low-end of a Les Paul, but it also doesn't have the highs of the maple cap.
This has to do with the lack of the maple cap and the much thinner body. Therefore it has more mids in general (also the high mids which people think are highs) and doesn't sound as "fat" as a Les Paul.

this. i think people mistake the raunchy upper midrange bite of an SG kind of gives it the illusion of a "brighter" sound when combined with other instruments because of the amount of presence and definition it provides.

les pauls actually have a lot more 'chime' in their tone than SGs - compare an SG with P90s to a les paul with P90s and this becomes a lot more obvious.

edit: ^while the title of this thread is "VS", it's not really a VS thread as such.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Nov 20, 2011,
^True, true... Still, TS could have had some sort of versus meaning behind this that could start an opinion war. No one knows.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 20, 2011,
Really? I don't think body shape changes the sound. Pickups, pots, caps and wiring do. And, according to some people, wood type. I think what you're experiencing is bad marketing, where the sound is engineered to duplicate what they think the custoer might be expecting. Our personal experience is so very much affected by what we expect, but I'm pretty confident that I could post sound clips of all my guitars and most people would not correctly guess what shape the guitar is. Maybe I should actually do that, instead of just talking.
Quote by RebuildIt
Really? I don't think body shape changes the sound. Pickups, pots, caps and wiring do. And, according to some people, wood type. I think what you're experiencing is bad marketing, where the sound is engineered to duplicate what they think the custoer might be expecting. Our personal experience is so very much affected by what we expect, but I'm pretty confident that I could post sound clips of all my guitars and most people would not correctly guess what shape the guitar is. Maybe I should actually do that, instead of just talking.

From what I read, it's not the shape, but the thickness of the body. There's a difference of about 1/2" b/t the LP and SG. Affects the weight, but also the sustain and low end supposedly.

The reason I'm asking about this is because while I love the sound of my current guitar, I really dislike the neck heel, and I've seen some of the Agile SG's that have 24 frets and one of the smallest neck heels I've ever seen. The guitar I have is a double cutaway, but it feels a lot like a LP. It's also using these bright ass Super 2 Dimarzio pickups, that I'm now afraid to try in an SG styled guitar.

Long story short, does anyone know how much the Agile Valkyries (SG) compare to the Epi/Gibson SGs tone wise?
Anyone got anything else? While I'm on Fall break I'll probably adventure around to some of my local pawns and see if I can find any that have good neck heels. Hell, I may even order one of the Agiles and return it if I don't like the feel or the sound.

Thoughts?
Quote by Quinlan
Long story short, does anyone know how much the Agile Valkyries (SG) compare to the Epi/Gibson SGs tone wise?

Gibson > Epiphone > Agile
West Ham United
Quote by Quinlan

Epiphone and Agile are the same for all intents and purposes. Their stock pickups are really the only things that differ though even those are very similar.

The Gibson will come with better-made pickups, better wood, thinner finish, better fitting. It will sustain better, be clearer and more responsive and carry the treble and bass a little better. In comparison guitars like Epiphones and Agiles sound kind of muffled, assuming you're comparing like-for-like spec.
Quote by RebuildIt

the shape of the guitar changes the sound to less of an extent with electric guitars than it does with acoustics, but it does a little - mostly due to the amount of wood used. you couldn't really listen to an electric guitar and easily recognise what sort of shape it was - for example i don't think anyone would be able to tell an explorer and a flying V apart that easily tonally without some kind of visual reference, but that doesn't mean they sound exactly alike.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.