Page 1 of 2
^topic
I was just talking to somebody who happened to know how to speak Romanian, yet was not Romanian or related to any Romanian and after we started talking he criticized me for not knowing Romanian despite the fact that everybody in my family is romanian. he said that knowing your heritage and where you are from makes you who you are, but i dont necessarily agree with that. what makes me who i am is not where my family is from or what they experienced, but what I have experienced. he then went on to say it helps one appreciate things more, but i dont need to know how oppressed my grandparents were to understand how lucky i am to live in America and to have access to the things i have access to.

that was just a little back story to the question but really it doesnt matter.

so discuss
I dunno my own heritage. I think it might be cool to find out the cool bits but all the rest is boring as shit
Not to me, like, at all. I personally feel it's kinda dumb. Do you know how many ancestors you have? 8 Generations ago and you have 256 different people from all over different places in different walks of life. 10 generations and you have over 1000. Doesn't make much sense to me to pick one special one out and say, "I was descendant from him!... 1/1024th..."
I can trace my House back to the Children of the Forest.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Nah, not really. At most I know my great grandfather was German, that's about it.
Professional lurker since 2009.
My beard grows in reddish brown, i'm pale, and i've had a huge alcohol problem for 15 years. I don't need ancestry.com to figure my heritage out.
not at all. Im like 100% german and all i know is that nazi jokes are still hilarious
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
I honestly don't care. I've never met anyone who is eager to find out about their heritage. I wouldn't even know how to go about doing so..
I don't think it's that important. It is very interesting though.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
My mom was born in Helsinki, Finland. Both my dad's parents were born somewhere in Croatia. I think that's pretty awesome, but I mean, I'm not going to take the time to learn Finnish or Croatian, when I don't live there or anything. My mom speaks fluent Finnish, and I'll admit that's pretty dope
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
my tenth great grandfather was William Bradford

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bradford_%28Plymouth_governor%29

is it cool? sure. does it define me or make me who i am? not at all
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
My dad was adopted at birth. Doesn't care to know his biological parents. My heritage pretty much starts there. My mom's side is Germanic I think. Doesn't really matter since the culturally I wouldn't have anything in common with my ancestors anyway.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Hm. Slightly higher chance we could be related.

relatives FTW
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Like the great Bob Marley used to sing, 'if you know your history, then you will know where you're coming from.'
I have ties with Scottish clans, infact, my surname comes from the Scott clan. I also have ancestry in Ireland (on my mothers side).
If you belong to an ethnic group predisposed to certain genetic diseases knowledge of that fact would be quite beneficial.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
My heritage is Yorkshire for at least 6 generations
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I care deeply about my heritage, but that seems to be a cultural thing with latinos. With my father's side, I know the origins all the way back to the mid-16th century.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
It just sounds like they were being a pretentious douche... your environment, your genetics, and most importantly, your choices decide who you are, not some dude back in Europe in the 1700's.
it dosnt matter what region "recent" ancestors were bought up in since we r all from adam n eve neway
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail
me2 and everyone picks on me

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
Nah, not important at all, IMO.

A couple of aunts are trying to make a family tree going back a good way, but I couldn't care less.
The limit of my knowledge is that my mum's side apparently had an Irish lord in it somewhere, many generations ago. As for my Dad's side, I've no idea where the name Valentine has come from.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
It's only important if you (a) are a raving lunatic like Nossie or (b) are prone to certain genetic problems or whatever like Jackal said. But it is interesting enough to know.
Your character matters more than anything. I'm Canadian, I have English , German , and Irish background, You could go further back an I have Norman , Anglo Saxon , Celtic background. Depends how far you go back. Your race, ethnic background is not important, it's how you live and treat others
My dad and sister are really into that stuff, and have traced our family back to the early ninteenth century. I personally don't give a shit.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by slipknot5678
I don't care at all. I know I have German and Irish (among others, those are the two big ones) ancestry, and my surname is a German name, but I don't actually consider myself German or Irish for two reasons. One being the fact that I don't practice any German or Irish culture, English is my native language, and I don't speak German or Irish, etc. The other being that IMO being German (or anything else) means that you are a German citizen and/or you have assimilated into Germany and its culture, not just having German ancestry. That would make you ethnic German, but not German in the way I described. I don't care how wrong I am, that's the way I see it.

Edit: That being said, I do kind of wish my family cared more about our heritage. I don't think it's important at all, but I hate being the most Americanised person you can be (nothing against the U.S.). I wish that I grew up in a more "cultured" family, and fluently speaking two languages would be awesome.

You just reminded me how hilarious some people I use to work with are, great great grandparents were from Italy, yet these guys couldn't speak a word of the language, decked themselves head to toe in "kappa" and "forza itallia". claimed they were 100 percent Italian and NOT canadian, alot like those jersey shore guys

Maybe if your parents or grandparents were from a different country or something.

Most of my family has been living in the US for 4-5 generations now. Most of my family came over here from Germany, and I certainly find Germany interesting and would love to go there someday, but it's not like I feel the need to know everything about my German heritage. It's far enough back that it's not really something that defines our family these days.
Eh, it's not that important. I'd say Still Life and Morningrise are more important.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
It's pretty interesting but not an important part of my life. I don't feel connected to any of my relatives so feeling that way about ancestors is much less likely. My dad's traced our family back to the 1800s just by talking to his family and some of the stories are kinda cool but not relevant to anything I do.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by palm mute
Eh, it's not that important. I'd say Still Life and Morningrise are more important.

Nigga plz it's all about MAYH
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Page 1 of 2