I'm thinking of getting a grey Ibanez S570b - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-s570b-electric-guitar/584141000001000

The rest of my budget is going towards a cheap tube combo, a multifx pedal, and possibly pickups for the guitar (DImarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire).

I was wondering: which Ibanez necks can I swap in? Any AANJ neck? The new S's are 24 frets so I'm not sure if I can use the older Wizard S necks from the late 80's/early 90's which were 22 fret. I also don't know if the 24 fret RG AANJ necks would work either.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I'm curious to know what my options are. The Prestige S's are really expensive and I'd rather not go used. Seems like a regular S + prestige/old school Wizard would pretty much be a custom S prestige
You can't just add or take away frets. That will ruin the scale length, and you'll never be able to set intonation correctly.

Theoretically, you should be able to swap any AANJ neck that has the same scale length and the same number of frets, but the thickness of the neck could affect the intonation/action.

I also want to add that you should probably just ebay/craigs list around for a used Prestige if you want a Prestige.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you'll need any aanj 24 fret neck, for s series or prestige, the key thing you need to check is the width at the 12th fret of the neck. The wizard 3s on the new indo made S series are 58mm at the 12th, so make sure the wizard prestige you fit is also 58mm.
Quote by Offworld92
You can't just add or take away frets. That will ruin the scale length, and you'll never be able to set intonation correctly.

Theoretically, you should be able to swap any AANJ neck that has the same scale length and the same number of frets, but the thickness of the neck could affect the intonation/action.

I also want to add that you should probably just ebay/craigs list around for a used Prestige if you want a Prestige.
There aren't many used S prestige models floating around, finding one in great condition would be even harder.

If I can throw a ~$200 neck on a $600 S and get the equivalent of an S prestige, why not? Plus, I dislike the inlays on the 570b, so upgrading to a better neck would also fix that.

EDIT: also, my budget doesn't allow me to get a brand new S prestige, since prices have raised over the years. I'm basically building an entire setup with around $1500. $600 on the S, $150 on pickups, $200 on a Line 6 multifx, Danelectro fish-n-chips EQ, and the rest on a low-watt tube combo. Right now I have an Ibanez GSA60 that doesn't have functioning electronics, and two crappy solid state practice amps. I think that splitting up my budget like so is the best option.

I could always ditch the Line 6multifx and even the pickups and get a used S prestige, but eBay'ing a guitar is a whole different story than going to Guitar Center, grabbing a nicely set up new guitar, and walking out.
Last edited by TJM2482 at Nov 20, 2011,
22 fret (Older S) AANJ necks won't work
24 fret RG AANJ necks will probably work. I say probably because the widths at the last fret vary a bit, so it may or may not fit straight in. Intonation and scale length wise, they'll be fine in a 24 fret AANJ S body.

This isn't really relevant, but you can also use a 24 fret square heel RG neck in a 22 fret S body (older models), as the heel is in the same position on the square joints.
Last edited by littlephil at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
22 fret (Older S) AANJ necks won't work
24 fret RG AANJ necks will probably work. I say probably because the widths at the last fret vary a bit, so it may or may not fit straight in. Intonation and scale length wise, they'll be fine in a 24 fret AANJ S body.

This isn't really relevant, but you can also use a 24 fret square heel RG neck in a 22 fret S body (older models), as the heel is in the same position on the square joints.
So I'm guessing I'd have to find one of the current S prestige necks? Like from the 5470? That limits my options a bit. I see a bunch of 24-fret RG necks but I'm really leaning towards an S because of the mahogany body. Those mahogany RG's are hard to come by.
Yeah, you need a 24 fret neck if you're getting an S neck. An RG neck would most likely work, but i don't see how the body material matters if you're just swapping out a neck?
Quote by littlephil
Yeah, you need a 24 fret neck if you're getting an S neck. An RG neck would most likely work, but i don't see how the body material matters if you're just swapping out a neck?
If I were to get an RG (there's more RG prestiges on eBay than S's) I'd have access to more necks (there's more RG necks on eBay than S's).

Edit: hell, if I were to go with basswood I could just get an RG1451 and some pickups and call it a day. Hard-tail bridge is great since I don't do divebombs or whammy tricks, would also help me switch between tunings easily.
Last edited by TJM2482 at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by GuitarGurlllll
I know a luthier who will certainly be able to help you.

Necro bump.....I would assume since the thread is from 2011 he got it figured out...lol.