I'm the singer in Virtues must live a Rock band from Newcastle, and we've been gigging pretty regularly and getting into the swing of it now. Fact is, i'm used to playing guitar live while i sing, however, i'm just the singer in this band, which i'm still getting used to. I'm just trying to see what you guys think i should do when i'm not singing.

I think it's boring to just stand around, and i try to keep myself away from a mic stand as much as i can, generally i opt not to have one. But my onstage moves are a little confined to Starjumps (an idea i stole from alien ant farm) a little jump on the spot here and there. Generally i'm failing at being an interesting frontman, which i feel is pretty integral part of my role in the band.

Any suggestions?
Watch live videos of bands and see what the front men are doing. Why post on a message board when you can hop on over to Youtube?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Spin your mic like Roger Daltrey.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Just how long are these musical interludes? James LaBrie from Dream Theater has a little stool behind the speaker cabinet where he can go and sit, have a drink of water, take a nap, read half of Lord of the Rings, then pop back out in time for his next line.
Or he just stands back, next to the drum set, and plays the tambourine.
Robert Plant turned his back to the crowd and kinda danced to the music.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by stratdax
Just how long are these musical interludes? James LaBrie from Dream Theater has a little stool behind the speaker cabinet where he can go and sit, have a drink of water, take a nap, read half of Lord of the Rings, then pop back out in time for his next line.

This description of dream theater was brilliant...

Just stand back and make sure that the focus is on the guitarist or lead player (=
Quote by stratdax

im sure he doesn't read that slowly that he'd only get halfway through

OT: if it's a solo, don't try to steal focus from the person soloing, if its just a part without singing, just have fun with it, don't think about it too much
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by stratdax

HAHAHA

Or you could take another one from Labrie's book and start flailing your arms / punching at imaginary ghosts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h81PggfE8I

7:58 - Jazz Hands
8:04 - OMG I need to punch these ghosts

(don't get me wrong- I love Dream Theater)
Last edited by CV334 at Nov 20, 2011,
bring teh nrg dood. just run around and jump and shit, the more energetic you are, the more energetic the crowd will be.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by arnolddrummer
My friend, have you ever heard of the Tragically Hip.

This x100000000000000
I'd say, run to grab a drink of water really quick. Nobody can blame you for doing that, and at least you won't be standing around doing nothing.
I would say start by really listening to the music. Stop worrying about performing so much and just enjoy what your bandmates are doing, and let that enjoyment express itself however it's naturally going to express itself.

Don't feel like you have to "do" anything. Rather, enjoy the fact that you have the best seat in the house. What would you be doing if you were in the front row and it was your favorite band on stage? If you're too self conscious to do that (and if so, get over it, you're a frontman!) then slap a tambourine.