What does it feel like?
Also how long do 8s last normally?
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
it feels very slinky, and the strings tend to snap more.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Didn't Clapton use something daft like 8s to get his bluesbreakers tone? IIRC lots of the 60s legends did at one point. A bit of a lost trend- these days its all 'fatter is better'.
Dude, where's my band?
You can bend 8s with your mind.
Thats why I use.

EDIT: Yeah, those strings and no crappy drop tunings either, so don't start winning about metalheads.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by TomMon
Didn't Clapton use something daft like 8s to get his bluesbreakers tone? IIRC lots of the 60s legends did at one point. A bit of a lost trend- these days its all 'fatter is better'.

He used .09s. He got the nickname “Slowhand” because his bends would break the first string, and since he only had one guitar, the audience would clap slowly while he changed the string.
I use .008s on a 27" neck for E. I think they're beautiful, they provide the perfect tension. As for breaking? That depends entirely on your playing, and the quality of your guitar on the parts where the string touches. I've had an .008 on 27" at G for a few weeks before I got bored with it and tuned it down...
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I used to use 9s, and I find they break a bit more often than 10s - 8s might break more, especially the 1st string. I suppose you'll need almost no effort to play them, and you may accidentally bend strings at times.

You'll obviously need at least a truss rod adjustment, too.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Last edited by technoguyx at Nov 20, 2011,
I've always used 9s, then I put some 12s on my Chavel and tuned it down a step. The difference is not that bad, I mean, it's a little harder to pick fast for a long time, but you move your hand less when picking, and bends are a little harder too. The low E was kinda hard to get under the retention bar too.

Edit: And the tone is alot different too. The lowest I'd go is 9s, 8s would probably break on me every week or so with how hard I play.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Nov 20, 2011,
8's feel great.

sidenote-yngwie uses 8's if im not mistaken
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I started off on 9's. I heard that 8's break more easily. I'm using 10's at the moment.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Most_Triumphant
You can bend 8s with your mind.
Thats why I use.

EDIT: Yeah, those strings and no crappy drop tunings either, so don't start winning about metalheads.

Yeh, I'm using .11 .15 .22 .34 .44 .56's in Standard.
RIGHT ON BROTHER!
And I'm a metalhead.
What the hell do I use when I downtune?
LOL
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Nov 21, 2011,
Billy Gibbons uses .07s except for downtuning for slide playing where he uses .08s. And that's on 24.75" scale.

Then you get guys like SRV who for a short time used a .13 high E on 25.5".

Use whatever's most comfortable for you. The difference in tone between string thickness is next to nothing. A tighter string will always have a little more 'thump' to its tone but that depends on scale length and tuning as well. Lighter strings shouldn't break any more than heavy ones if the guitar is made and set up properly.
SRV used 12s exclusive with sometimes 14s, not 13s.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Actually he never used any particular sets. He started out using a set based around normal .09s with a heavier G string and throughout his career he went thicker and thicker with unusual mixes of gauge and then towards the end he was going for lighter strings again. It's pretty well documented. His thickest high E, or Eb in his case, was a .13.
I used 9s for a while but i started to think the tone was kinda shitty so went back to 10s and i think they sound better

Not sure what 8s would sound like working on that logic
Quote by scarhawk
9 is the magic number

Hallelujer!
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
I like using 10s. They still bend easy enough for it not to be an effort at all, and the sound a little less fat and brighter than 11s or 12s. That is just my personal preference, but 10s can get annoying for drop tuning.

8s could be good for throwing around "bendy" fast licks that are more bluesy. Not my style though :P
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Quote by jpnyc
He used .09s. He got the nickname “Slowhand” because his bends would break the first string, and since he only had one guitar, the audience would clap slowly while he changed the string.

what the hell? whats all this talk about 9s breaking?

i use 9's, play a few hours a day, play a shitload of solos, bend all the time and after two months they havent broken.....do you guys change your strings every 6months or something?
Quote by davem27
what the hell? whats all this talk about 9s breaking?

i use 9's, play a few hours a day, play a shitload of solos, bend all the time and after two months they havent broken.....do you guys change your strings every 6months or something?

Exactly, I change my strings atleast once a month just because I like strings.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
I've played the Yngwie Malmsteen signature hybrid set for about 3 years now; obviously I
dig 'em. Easy bends, legato, vibrato on the top end, and tight riffing on the thicker lower strings.

8-11-14-22-32-48

I've never once broken an 8, although I have broken a few 9's before. The 8's last just as long as the 9's, no problem, and yes, bends and vibrato are easier, but it really depends on the string material. For example, pure nickle strings are WAY easier to bend. Way easier.
Quote by omidmash
SRV used 12s exclusive with sometimes 14s, not 13s.

He used .13's. Do some googling.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My mistake then, sorry.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
If youre used to 10s, the 8s will break pretty quickly.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
8s? Wow.
I use 10-13-17-36-52-60

I don't think i've ever even played on a set of 8s.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ