inb4 shitstorm regarding "feeling" and "shredding"
inb4 lock

Personally I kinda like shredding because it reminds me of a lot of classical music.

I've just started playing Protest the Hero songs on the piano. Sounds ****ing awesome.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 20, 2011,
Yeah, I'd say that though I have heard some good rock/blues players kill jazzers.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Good jazz guitarists can, compare Guthrie Govan (He's technically a fusion-jazz guitarist) to, I don't know, Dimebag, and Govan will destroy.
you're a stone fox
it depends on the "jazzer" or the "metal virtuoso"
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail
me2 and everyone picks on me

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
wankers
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Al DiMeola wins.
Who cares?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jazz guitarists are usually better at improvisation in general, although not always.

It's not a matter of technique, but the fact that improvisation is an absolute necessity in jazz, whereas in rock it rarely is, except maybe when recording a solo (which is then learned and played at least roughly the same way every time), or if it's a jam band.
Shawn Lane.

Jazz-Fusion, maybe, but, still.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by False_God
No he doesnt.

You're right. Most great bluegrass pickers own him too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It really all depends on the guitarist in question. You couldn't say for sure which would beat which, and then again, it could also depend on circumstances, like the setting, the backing band, how high the metal guitarist is, how much heroin the jazz player took...

:P
Some people use quotations,
Some people are just perverse,
Some people have ironic machinations,
But I'll just break into verse!
y even think guitarists who mainly record metal can't play jazz?

Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail
me2 and everyone picks on me

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
Quote by sXe170
I need examples of what Jazzers out perform these metal virtuosos.

Do you mean like in terms of speed, or just in terms of how good the solo is? Most jazz guitarists can shred pretty comfortably, maybe not extremely fast (although that depends; John McLaughlin has been clocked faster than most well-known shredders, if I remember correctly), but the idea in jazz is to be as creative as possible over a set of chord changes, while still being musical (although that depends on your definition of "musical"; you might not like Sonny Sharrock at all, for example).
Alan holdsworth, shawn lane, and Guthrie govan destroy everybody in most areas, including speed. Also Steve morse( he basically played jazz fusion with the dregs) gets a mention because his classical stuff is ridiculous.
Depends on the guitarist.
/thread.

Most guitar noobs want to learn rock and metal, for many it's not until they mature musically that they appreciate Jazz and Classical music.
Outplaying is subjective anyway.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by primusfan
jazz guitar is like metal keyboard.

Unfortunately, this is kind of true. Guitar in jazz has been fairly marginal except in fusion for most of its history. Although that's been changing, I think.

But it's telling when my favorite jazz musicians are mostly not guitarists.
Considering jazz music is essentially the best humanity has ever reached musically and metal/shred guitar is for obese, socially awkward white people, I suppose.

Guitar is stupid though. It's like saying "I'm an avid fantasy reader, my favourite book is Eragon" but for music.
Quote by behind_you
In regards to skill, probably not. In regards to popularity, maybe.

Wait, am I in some parallel universe where jazz is more popular than metal?