Hey, im trying to get a tone and after hours of playing around with my amp and bass, i still havent been able to find quite what I want. I have a 100 watt peavey, and a yamaha RBX 374, im trying to get a sound sorta like, rise against/nirvana/foo fighters, I want a sound that cuts through and has a kinda sharp sound, but I still want to be able to hear the low bass feel when playing against a guitar. sorry if it dont make sense, but any help would be appreciated
turn up your treble?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I was trying to, but if I turn up the treble, idk it just seems like it cuts through too much, i just cant be pleased with it xD, ohh wellll
Quote by vampire275
I was trying to, but if I turn up the treble, idk it just seems like it cuts through too much, i just cant be pleased with it xD, ohh wellll

Set bass at about 11 o clock and if its cutting through too much fiddle with your mids to taste!

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Well, if you think it's too sharp, then you have your treble too high; try raising your mids a bit instead. It'll cut through, but not quite so abrasively. Use a pick, also.
Just use the P pickup on your bass, none of the J.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by vampire275
\m trying to get a sound sorta like, rise against/nirvana/foo fighters, I want a sound that cuts through and has a kinda sharp sound, but I still want to be able to hear the low bass feel when playing against a guitar.

Hardly specific lol. P bass pickup, treble 11o clock to 2 o clock, mids from 12-5 o clock, and bass from 10 o clock to 1 o clock. more bass equals boom, and makes it harder for the amp to play with out distorting. All of those bassists play different basses but often use tube amps. Krist of Nirvana uses Gibson long scale basses (artist, Thunderbird, ripper, Grabber), Ampegs and a proco Rat for distortion.
When mixing bass on a record I will often EQ out a little bit around 250Hz to reduce any muddiness and boost a little around 500Hz (perhaps also boost 1kHz depending on the Q value, but a little bit less, to get a nice smooth equalization curve). I'll also filter out frequencies below 50-60Hz (those frequencies tend to actually lessen the impact of the bass in the mix).

I was just at a friends' show and helped them set up. The bass player's crate has a graphic EQ on it and so I dialed in her tone how I would in the studio and it sounded great. Clear in the mix without overpowering the rest.

If you have a graphic EQ pedal I'd give that a try.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1