I've got into the habit of playing with a Kennedy half dollar instead of a pick, it gives the strings a better tone, but will it damage the strings? Does anyone else play with something unusual like this? Thanks.
Uh...can you actually pick well with that thing? I can't imagine it would be easy to alternate pick or transition up and down strings with that. If you like the way it sounds, a metal or copper pick should give you the same bright sound. And yeah, just like a metal pick does, using the half dollar a lot will tear the strings up. Just change them about once every month or two, and you should be fine.
Mine always gets stuck to the pickups
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Sometimes I fold up some paper and use that to pick if I want a muted tone. But that gets little bits of paper everywhere, so I don't do it often.
It does do more damage to the strings than a normal pick, but the damage isn't huge so I wouldn't really worry. The only difference between it and a normal pick is the material it's made out of, and obviously metal on metal will do more damage than plastic on metal.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Alright thanks guys, and I've never heard of playing with paper before? Lol

Well, Guthrie sticks a rizzler under his strings to raise them if he wants to play a bit of slide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZJTB9ENLg
Last edited by mdc at Nov 22, 2011,