I started playing in D and C standard, but I've been breaking my strings more often. I use 9's right now. Should I get thicker strings?
In short, yes. I would recommend you get 11's or 12's.

But take note, your strings WILL get more difficult to bend if you move up in gauge.
Yes.

Where are the strings breaking and are they the same ones each time?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I use 13s for C standard tuning. Great for getting strength in your fretting hand.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
How the hell can you even tune to C standard with 9s

Generally yes, you need thicker strings. I'd use at least 13s for C, and maybe 12s for D.
Professional lurker since 2009.
I don't know how you can even hear your guitar if you tune to C on 9s. The strings are probably so loose that the pickup magnet actually holds them down. I use 12s for playing in D standard, so I'd get at least 11s for C probably 12s though.

It's a great way to build up strength in your picking and fretting hand too.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Nov 20, 2011,
Quote by FearMyLightning
I don't know how you can even hear your guitar if you tune to C on 9s. The strings are probably so loose that the pickup magnet actually holds them down. I use 12s for playing in D standard, so I'd get at least 11s for C probably 12s though.

It's a great way to build up strength in your picking and fretting hand too.

I use 11s for regular E on my humbucker loaded guitars!
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by technoguyx
How the hell can you even tune to C standard with 9s

Generally yes, you need thicker strings. I'd use at least 13s for C, and maybe 12s for D.

Iommi used C# standard. with 8's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra