I know this is possible with certain multi-fx pedals/pedalboards. I was wondering which ones. I'm thinking about picking up an Avatar cab and a multi-fx while I save towards something like an ENGL Gigmaster.

I was considering getting a cheap tube head from Blackstar but I was going to get a multi-fx pedal anyway. I was wondering how the tone would be compared to using a dedicated amp with the pedal. I'm probably gonna be using headphones a lot, if that makes any difference.
Not a single multi-fx can do this alone. You need a power amp, at least. If a multi-FX has a power amp built into it then it's just an amp head.

You can get a rackmount power amp, or one of the EH power amp in a pedal designs (44 magnum, I think it's called) or something like a crate powerblock, but you cannot plug a multiFX into a cab.
Quote by Roc8995
Not a single multi-fx can do this alone. You need a power amp, at least. If a multi-FX has a power amp built into it then it's just an amp head.

You can get a rackmount power amp, or one of the EH power amp in a pedal designs (44 magnum, I think it's called) or something like a crate powerblock, but you cannot plug a multiFX into a cab.
Ah. How about something like this that has a power amp tube built-in?

I'm just trying to decide between cheap tube combo now and get both a head/cab later, or get a multi-fx or cheap head and get the cab now. Its basically spend more now, or later.
'Straight into cab', means 'through a power amp', so unless you have a power amp of some sort lying around, this isn't going to work.

Any modelling pedal can be plugged into a power amp and then into a cab. If the pedal also provides cab modelling (which anything with amp modelling should have to some degree), you can plug it into absolutely any speakers you want.
You could get a cheap active 12"/15" PA speaker if you wanted, with a good modeller that would sound fantastic. A lot of people do this with the Axe-FX.

What exactly is this amp going to be for?

If you're gigging at moderate-sized venues you can just run a multi-fx straight into the house PA and hear yourself in the monitors.
if it's strictly for home practice, you're better off with a nice little modelling amp or an interface with Amplitube etc.
Quote by TJM2482

I'm just trying to decide between cheap tube combo now and get both a head/cab later, or get a multi-fx or cheap head and get the cab now. Its basically spend more now, or later.

That's a preamp tube.

Anything that has a power amp in it will very explicitly advertise its output power. If you can't see right away that a product says "100 watts" or "2x75 watts" on it, you cannot plug it into a cab.

Nothing that goes on the floor like that is ever going to have a power amp.
Quote by Roc8995

Scary. That's about exactly what I what I was going to say.

Or you can get a PA, powered speakers, or a keyboard amp and run the MFX through one of those. But if you already have a cab but none of those other items, then the ElectroHarmonix micro amps would be ideal.

If you're playing gigs where the house has a PA, you can run your MFX right into the house PA and hear yourself in the stage monitors.
Quote by kyle62
'Straight into cab', means 'through a power amp', so unless you have a power amp of some sort lying around, this isn't going to work.

Any modelling pedal can be plugged into a power amp and then into a cab. If the pedal also provides cab modelling (which anything with amp modelling should have to some degree), you can plug it into absolutely any speakers you want.
You could get a cheap active 12"/15" PA speaker if you wanted, with a good modeller that would sound fantastic. A lot of people do this with the Axe-FX.

What exactly is this amp going to be for?

If you're gigging at moderate-sized venues you can just run a multi-fx straight into the house PA and hear yourself in the monitors.
if it's strictly for home practice, you're better off with a nice little modelling amp or an interface with Amplitube etc.
This is for home use. I hope to get a nice low-watt tube head in the future, but I need something to hold me over now since all I have are two crappy solid state practice amps. I'm thinking about just grabbing a VHT Special 6 Ultra combo, but I'm still trying to find a way to swing a setup with a cab so I don't have to buy it later on.

Sounds like the combo is the best option for now, unless I can get extra money for an Avatar cab + a cheap tube head, which would drain from my guitar fund a bit.
Quote by Roc8995
That's a preamp tube.

Anything that has a power amp in it will very explicitly advertise its output power. If you can't see right away that a product says "100 watts" or "2x75 watts" on it, you cannot plug it into a cab.

Nothing that goes on the floor like that is ever going to have a power amp.

Ditto.

With that VOX unit you might need to run it into a DI box before you go into a PA. Digitech or Line 6 MFX with XLR outs can go straight into a house PA.
Quote by TJM2482

Oh no. that has one little 12AX7 preamp tube to warm up the sound a bit.

If you wanted to stick even a single power tube in a multi-fx pedal, the pedal would have to be about a foot high!

The Tonelab is a nice modeller though.
Why on earth are you faffing about with all this unecessary complexity for home use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-Flextone-Plus-60W-modeling-guitar-amp-foot-controller-/180759208081?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BP%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BIIUM%26otn%3D12%26pmod%3D260794834979%26ps%3D54#ht_500wt_1413

Problem solved!

That's just an example to show you how cheap these amps go for on fleabay. Gigging quality and volume for practice-amp money.
It's true. I'd just grab a spider valve and be done with it. Maybe a Vypyr for heavier styles.
Quote by Roc8995
It's true. I'd just grab a spider valve and be done with it. Maybe a Vypyr for heavier styles.

Never tried the Vypyr, but I've heard it's rather nice for heavy stuff. The Vox VT series are excellent too.
Random question: if you have tube head, can you plug in headphones and hear yourself if you don't have a cab?
Nope. Even if it has a headphone output it needs to be plugged into a cab at all times. There are a few exceptions but they're few and far between.
Ah, okay. I think I'm gonna lessen my guitar budget and get a decent tube head and a cabinet. Now I just have to research the different types of Celestion speakers and which sound better/worse in closed/open back units
Quote by TJM2482
Ah, okay. I think I'm gonna lessen my guitar budget and get a decent tube head and a cabinet. Now I just have to research the different types of Celestion speakers and which sound better/worse in closed/open back units

Again; why? If you're not gigging, I don't understand why a separate head and cab is preferable to a compact, convenient combo.
vouching for a flextone III combo. have it, love it, also selling it cause i need the cash (contact me if interested running for $350 with wgs veteran 30 speaker)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If you get the pedal, you can plug earphones into it.

My solo practice rig is an RP-355 through a VOX DA5. Does everything I need for home use. For band practice or shows I use a Marshall half-stack and a GNX4. If I didn't need the practice with the real gear, the VOX would work fine over drums for band practice, too, and it's only 5 watts solid state.
Quote by TJM2482
Random question: if you have tube head, can you plug in headphones and hear yourself if you don't have a cab?

Up until recently, this would have been a "No". But, there is at least one (if not a couple more) where this is now possible. The one that comes to mind is the Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister. You can run this straight into headphones without a cab. You can run it through monitors, computer speakers, whatever -- you just have to keep it on the proper setting.

I see you're pretty set on a tube amp. Is there a particular reason for this? I only ask because you also seem set on a modelling solution -- not that they're mutually exclusive or anything like that, but when I think of modelling amps I don't think tube off the top of my head. Also, generally speaking, they're kind of expensive.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native