okay im planning on getting my first 7 string and i want it to be the rg7320 with a floyd. but i love binding and i heard around you can have it put on. okay a list of questions. can my local music shop do faux binding? is faux binding real binding? if not how much for real? please help cause i lvoe binding!!!!!!
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
okay im planning on getting my first 7 string and i want it to be the rg7320 with a floyd. but i love binding and i heard around you can have it put on. okay a list of questions. can my local music shop do faux binding? is faux binding real binding? if not how much for real? please help cause i lvoe binding!!!!!!

1. No. Faux binding is just leaving the undyed edge of a top exposed, which requires the guitar be built that way.
2. ... what? No! Real binding is a strip of material attached to the edge of the guitar.
3. Lots. Hundreds.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
1. No. Faux binding is just leaving the undyed edge of a top exposed, which requires the guitar be built that way.
2. ... what? No! Real binding is a strip of material attached to the edge of the guitar.
3. Lots. Hundreds.

yeah but i know a guy that said he put faux binding on the fixed bridge version the rg7321...how many hundreds?
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
yeah but i know a guy that said he put faux binding on the fixed bridge version the rg7321...how many hundreds?

Ask the guy...?
No idea how much it would cost, except it'd probably be quite a lot.

I'd reckon it would be easier to put real binding on than carefully taking off the finish around the edge.
Rout a small channel, then glue in a binding strip. As long as you're careful and mask off the surrounding paintwork, it'd probably work.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re

You can't really put faux binding on a guitar... faux binding is this:
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Basically, if you want faux binding, you'll have to refinish the guitar.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Joeval
Basically, if you want faux binding, you'll have to refinish the guitar.

And add a top.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
well thankyou and now i see but maybe he was confused but he said he put white binding on it and ill put the link to the guys guitar...and i know he did it because it normally doesnt come with it...and thanks for not going off on me like ALOT of people would on here...im just trying to learn...thanks you guys are awesome https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356444&page=7&pp=20 its the 138th post
...that's tape. Not binding. Faux binding refers to the thing in that pic I posted.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
...that's tape. Not binding. Faux binding refers to the thing in that pic I posted.

okay well he said faux..lol and i dont know much...but thankyou on correcting me i guess ill just have to do without