I finally got a nice solid song written for a single i am recording but now i need to write the guitar parts, its an acoustic song, I am just curious if any chord progressions or keys sound better with sad sappy depressing songs about losing people? I think i heard someone say minor chords or something before but i am not sure.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
D minor, which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
D minor, which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

...i came hear to say that
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
My band has a cool part which an arpeggiated C#m for two lines, Dm for one line, then back to C sharp minor. It has a cool chromatic feel that's really dark, and there's lots of room for evil melody in the vocal line.
Quote by Swannie
...i came hear to say that

I HERE that
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I would fret a D diminished chord and bring it down a fret every bar with someone crying in the background. I'd also have that moving chromatically. Would probably sound pretty sad
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
You've written a good solid single that has no chord progression?

Lyrically
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Cloudkicker
Lyrically

Well, until you write the music, it's a poem, not a song.

And sad (usually) = minor keys. Nothing to do with major or minor chords, as music will usually with little exception have both.
use any key you want, none are sadder, just figure out what best suits your voice.

the chords, rhythm and melody you play in your chosen key will determine the feeling
---
I'd disagree with everyone saying every key sounds exactly the same. Obviously it's not all in the key you use, but if you write a sad-sounding song the same way in different keys, it'll sound a bit sadder in some keys than others. Maybe that's just how I hear it, though.
Start by giving F#m a shot.
I personally like Bmin and F#min.

And to say that no chord or scale is more sad or happier than another is nonsense. As subjective as music is--and the word "sad," for that matter--I'm surprised that even came up.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Robfreitag
use any key you want, none are sadder, just figure out what best suits your voice.

the chords, rhythm and melody you play in your chosen key will determine the feeling

How do i figure which one suites my voice best
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by silent caution
I HERE that

I si what you did there
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Cavalcade
I'd disagree with everyone saying every key sounds exactly the same. Obviously it's not all in the key you use, but if you write a sad-sounding song the same way in different keys, it'll sound a bit sadder in some keys than others. Maybe that's just how I hear it, though.
Start by giving F#m a shot.

Sure a certain song may sound sadder if you play it lower or higher, but that fact that this is different for every song and there is no saddest key means it's totally correct to say no key is sadder than the other. Hell, the only way it could possibly be true that any key is sadder than another would be if 1) everybody had perfect pitch hearing (to hear each key differently) and 2) if music could only demonstrate 24 feelings (one for each key.)
Quote by eGraham
And to say that no chord or scale is more sad or happier than another is nonsense. As subjective as music is--and the word "sad," for that matter--I'm surprised that even came up.

Yes, it's subjective - that's exactly why, from a practical standpoint, there is no key with any emotion different than another. Since it's all personal preference, any key is open for explanation.
Actually everyone is wrong. As the two most popular funeral songs "Tears in Heaven" and "Chasing Cars" are in fact in the same key, that key must therefore be the saddest.

For the reasons above, the saddest key is A major.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Cloudkicker
I finally got a nice solid song written for a single i am recording but now i need to write the guitar parts, its an acoustic song, I am just curious if any chord progressions or keys sound better with sad sappy depressing songs about losing people? I think i heard someone say minor chords or something before but i am not sure.

The chords have to flow from the melody. You can't just paste whatever random chords over your song and have it work.
Quote by AeolianSeventh

Why are people always quicker :p
i guarantee you i can compose a sadder piece for orchestra in Bb major than you guys can for a rock band in D minor.

my point is that there's far more to emotion than which key you play in. and if you write a song in D minor, i also guarantee you that i can play it in G# minor and have it sound just as sad.

if D minor was sadder than every other key, there would be no sad songs not in D minor. which is simply not the case. it's all subjective. it's foolish and restrictive to say that D minor is sadder than all other keys.

this is also not to say that D minor is necessarily any less sad than any other minor key.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i guarantee you i can compose a sadder piece for orchestra in Bb major than you guys can for a rock band in D minor.

my point is that there's far more to emotion than which key you play in. and if you write a song in D minor, i also guarantee you that i can play it in G# minor and have it sound just as sad.

if D minor was sadder than every other key, there would be no sad songs not in D minor. which is simply not the case. it's all subjective. it's foolish and restrictive to say that D minor is sadder than all other keys.

this is also not to say that D minor is necessarily any less sad than any other minor key.

Completely missed the Spinal Tap reference.
Quote by :-D

Completely missed the Spinal Tap reference.

oh, no, i know the spinal tap reference. but there are some people that seriously think D minor is the saddest of all keys. like, seriously. like, E phrygian in C major serious.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Speaking of sadness, I want Chopin's Piano sonata No.2 in Bb Minor movement 3 played at my funeral.

AND I JUST REALIZED I ****ED UP ON MY THEORY LISTENING QUIZ TODAY.

I accidentally put Sonata No.4 instead of No.2 when Chopin was played.

Also, ironically, in my ear training class we talked about spinal tap for a good 15 minutes, specifically about D minor being the saddest key.

"Its a combination of Mozart and Bach, I feel, and I think you could call it... Mock"
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Nov 21, 2011,