Page 1 of 2
Im currently a college student who wants to make some money on breaks from college. heres what i can play/do.

Classical Guitar- good enough to get a 1st division at a state solo contest.(I played Canco Del Lladre arr. Llobet)

Jazz Guitar- Really my forte, i was in jazz band for 4 years in high school, made a region level band twice(and then again in college), and currently play guitar in my college jazz band and combo. I also gig around with a combo of people i went to highschool with(just for tips)

Percussion- Im currently a percussion major. Got a 1st division on a marimba solo at that same contest. I can play all major concert, marching, and latin percussion instruments.

Bassoon- I played bassoon for 2 years in high school and took a semester of it in college.

Tenor Sax- I just played it for a season of marching band. I have a good sound and understanding of how to play it and how it works.

Music Theory- I was able to take a test to skip my first year of theory classes in my college which was the first time anyone had ever done it there. It covered everything from triads, modes, and cadences to non-harmonic tones, textures, and 4 point harmony.

So far, ive heard that i can play classical guitar at restaurants for decent money, gig with my combo(usually just gets us enough money to eat and pay for gas), and teach guitar. any other ideas?
Last edited by ciano16 at Nov 21, 2011,
Write songs
Play acoustic
Sing out

Make money.

But seriously I can't be bothered to read that wall of text
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by dmiwshicldply
Dude its college

start a jam band
play some bars
have some fun
teach a little guitar on the side

Music majors typically dont have time to do shit except for sleep, eat, study, and practice. everyone wants me to be in their band, and i want to be in everyone's band, but theres never time. That's why i need jobs for when im on break from college.
Quote by Dnouw
This feels like a pat on the back post to me.

i get enough of that without the internet. what i dont get, however, is money. contrary to popular belief, you cant live off of compliments.
Quote by ciano16
Music majors typically dont have time to do shit except for sleep, eat, study, and practice. everyone wants me to be in their band, and i want to be in everyone's band, but theres never time. That's why i need jobs for when im on break from college.

Bullshit

I had a bandmate that was in chemical engineering and another in med school. If you don't have time for a band in college, no matter your major, you'll never have time after college. I promise you that.

However if you want to actually support your self then go get an actual job or teach a shit ton of music
Last edited by dmiwshicldply at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by the_wassel
Go to Penn State and hang out with Sandusky.

lol my percussion instructor made a joke like that a few days ago. she studied with the principle percussionist of the new york philaharmonic who also teaches percussion at penn state. she had to go assist him there with the band so she met that guy on the sideline once. she tells us shes gonna send us all there with that guy.
Guys. I may be wrong, but I think this guy is good.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
no matter your major, you'll never have time after college. I promise you that.

now this is bullshit. my day consists of waking up, eating, going to class, eating, practicing, eating, practicing, studying, and sleeping. My free time only comes on weekends. you do realize that percussion covers multiple instruments right? i have to practice snare, timpani, and 2 and 4 mallet marimba. next semester ill have to add drumset and latin percussion to that list. my engineering major friends do have way ****ing more time than i do. they can be in the band, get all A's and B's, party, and still have time left to chill. if i skip a day of practice, my instructor can tell.
Quote by ciano16
now this is bullshit. my day consists of waking up, eating, going to class, eating, practicing, eating, practicing, studying, and sleeping. My free time only comes on weekends. you do realize that percussion covers multiple instruments right? i have to practice snare, timpani, and 2 and 4 mallet marimba. next semester ill have to add drumset and latin percussion to that list. my engineering major friends do have way ****ing more time than i do. they can be in the band, get all A's and B's, party, and still have time left to chill. if i skip a day of practice, my instructor can tell.

So you are telling me that there isn't two hours of free time a week to do what you want?

Cause if there is thats two hours to play with your band. You have your weekends free? Well theres your gigs. You have time for a band. its all about are you willing to dedicate that time to a band? There is nothing wrong with the answer being no? I would understand that the rest of your week is already encompassed by music. But don't blame it on time.
Quote by ciano16
blah blah blah

Who gives a shit?
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
A music major who doens't have time to make music for fun?

wat (-sthepoint? of being a music major?)

also whose sandusky?
Quote by Jawlytomtom
A music major who doens't have time to make music for fun?

wat (-sthepoint? of being a music major?)

also whose sandusky?

you have to consider that music majors are students... we are trying to get as good as possible while in school.
Quote by The_Sophist
Guys. I may be wrong, but I think this guy is good.

too bad he wastes all his time teling people how good he is instead of showing us.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by Dnouw
This feels like a pat on the back post to me.

Agreed. Hey let me come here and brag about all the first stuff I've done at my school too!

But on the topic so I'm not a total twat, play musicals. You make bank. I'm not even kidding. I just played two in a row and made about 1.6k.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by ciano16

um.... not true considering I'm a music major and do all the shit he posted
XBL Gamertag:thor7861
message me you're from UG first

I can't think of anything to put here

geez pit, there are kids paying $40+k for instruments to go to colleges that cost that much a semester and you think serious musicians have a lot of time laying around, geez.

ts: if you want money, you won't get it from music unless you can get some connects doing studio stuff, i think that would be your best bet, but unless you're trying to get into major symphonies right after uni (unlikely unless you're at a high-end conservatory, but iunno about your situation or fully understand your skill level, i'm a bassist not a mind-reader) you'll need the work experience anyway to hold a day job while you build contacts and continue working towards whatever your goal position may be post-uni (assuming you're not going for a ph.d or something).

the tip on teaching sounds good too, always kids who'll dish out $20 for an hour of you showing them how to play their chord shapes and inversions.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by ciano16
you have to consider that music majors are students... we are trying to get as good as possible while in school.

Like you mean get as good as possible at music.. while going to uni for the sake of keeping other career options open? For me if I wanted to focus on music I would't go to uni, I'd improvise/write with as much discipline/energy as I had instead of wasting it on studying and working -which takes up time and energy- ironically so that I could study. Supposedly to get better at music. What exactly do most music majors end up doing?

just so you know I edited this post about 6 times.
Last edited by Jawlytomtom at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by columbianneckti
um.... not true considering I'm a music major and do all the shit he posted

"I'm going to college to Major in Music Managment and Minor in Music"

Lol... cuz minoring in music is majoring in music.

edit: lol... and youre the bassist... unless youre a bassist in a jazz band, i dont think you need to practice much to get your part down.
Last edited by ciano16 at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by Jawlytomtom
Like you mean get as good as possible at music.. while going to uni for the sake of keeping other career options open? For me if I wanted to focus on music I would't go to uni, I'd improvise/write with as much discipline/energy as I had instead of wasting it on studying and working -which takes up time and energy- ironically so that I could study. Supposedly to get better at music. What exactly do most music majors end up doing?

just so you know I edited this post about 6 times.

If you want to make a living playing music you should probably hang up your rock star dreams right from the get go.

Successful musicians are studio musicians, teachers etc etc
Quote by dmiwshicldply
If you want to make a living playing music you should probably hang up your rock star dreams right from the get go.

Successful musicians are studio musicians, teachers etc etc

financially succesfull musicians. I know I personally would hate being a teacher or studio musician, so If I was a financially succesfull studio musician I would not consider myself succesful as I would be unhappy yadig me? Are you majoring in music? Is that what you plan to do?

Also to any aspiring rock stars out there my advice is "do it" and "**** em", do what you want to do, not what others tell you you want to do.
Quote by Jawlytomtom
Like you mean get as good as possible at music.. What exactly do most music majors end up doing?

the school i go to and the school i am going to go to offer music degrees in jazz studies, music performance, music composition, or music education. i am an education major, with a minor in jazz studies. my job is to get reaally good at percussion so i can go teach it the right way. percussion covers every instrument you hit, swing, scrape, etc. so most of my time is spent learning all of it to a point of being able to teach it and perform it. in jazz studies, since its a minor, i pretty much jsut show up to my jazz band class, improv class, and jazz guitar lesson every week and i get an A. minors are super easy, majors are always the hard ones that actually require practicing. so ill end up teaching, but, until i have a big fancy degree, i need other ways to make money. you cant work anywhere with a salary without a degree.
Why don't you minor in what you're good at, and major in what you suck at? You music college kids never make any sense to me...
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by ciano16
"I'm going to college to Major in Music Managment and Minor in Music"

Lol... cuz minoring in music is majoring in music.

if you really wanna be a dick then tl;dr in your original post jackass

Quote by Jawlytomtom
financially succesfull musicians. I know I personally would hate being a teacher or studio musician, so If I was a financially succesfull studio musician I would not consider myself succesful as I would be unhappy yadig me? Are you majoring in music? Is that what you plan to do?

Also to any aspiring rock stars out there my advice is "do it" and "**** em", do what you want to do, not what others tell you you want to do.

No and I dont plan on being a professional musician. I have a little band and I have a job that keeps me fed with a roof over my head and gas in my truck. And by the way that is the definition of success. You can't be happy if you can't eat and its damn near impossible for most people to feed themselves and to have any kind of decent living conditions trying to be a rockstar.
"ive Got No Spare Time But I Can Post On U-g All Day"
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail
me2 and everyone picks on me

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
No and I dont plan on being a professional musician. I have a little band and I have a job that keeps me fed with a roof over my head and gas in my truck. And by the way that is the definition of success. You can't be happy if you can't eat and its damn near impossible for most people to feed themselves and to have any kind of decent living conditions trying to be a rockstar.

What are we arguing about? What is it you plan on being?
TS is just a little bitch who is trying to get attention because his parents never approved of anything he ever did

Quote by BurningTurkey
too bad he wastes all his time teling people how good he is instead of showing us.

come to one of my recitals. you probably wont even know what instrument im playing. im guessing youll be one of the ignorant tards saying "hes just hitting a big ass xylophone with 4 sticks" or if its classical guitar "hes not playing super fast, he must not be good"
or, if you come to a jazz performance, and youre actually any good at guitar "hes only sweeping 3 ,4, and 5 string dominant and diminished shapes and inversions, with modal improv in between. i cant even hear his guitar when hes not soloing"

this isnt rock music, this is the shit with the suits/tuxes, bow ties, and fedoras.

on topic, you dont need to SEE how good i am to tell me what i can go do to make money, i gave you that info.
^Easy there tiger.
You've got it figured out bud. Restaurant gigs and lessons are pretty much your best bet.

Also, as a jazz guitar performance/music ed double major with a string bass minor, I'd like to let everyone know that while there are a few of us, not all music majors complain about the workload/practice required. I enjoy a lot of it. Granted, this guy's got a shit-ton of work, but at the same time, its his own choice.
Last edited by smartguyreviews at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by dmiwshicldply
My thought exactly....

I've been in this thread for at least 30 minutes. If he wanted a band this could be valuable band time dont ya think

thats right.he could have been doing his first gig by now!
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
ts comes across as a scorned condesending asshole

ciano16 ur better off getting an part time job
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail

Quote by itamar100

Quote by columbianneckti
TS is just a little bitch who is trying to get attention because his parents never approved of anything he ever did

Lol aww... i think someone's a little jelly... take a look at my parent-bought gear. for being non-supportive, they sure did support me a lot... im sorry if you parents were unsupportive, but dont go take it out on other people.
Quote by ciano16
come to one of my recitals. you probably wont even know what instrument im playing. im guessing youll be one of the ignorant tards saying "hes just hitting a big ass xylophone with 4 sticks" or if its classical guitar "hes not playing super fast, he must not be good"
or, if you come to a jazz performance, and youre actually any good at guitar "hes only sweeping 3 ,4, and 5 string dominant and diminished shapes and inversions, with modal improv in between. i cant even hear his guitar when hes not soloing"

this isnt rock music, this is the shit with the suits/tuxes, bow ties, and fedoras.

on topic, you dont need to SEE how good i am to tell me what i can go do to make money, i gave you that info.

Except you have to actually be good to make money.

Nobody is going to get you your first gig man, if it hasn't been drilled into your head enough, might as well...

V
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by Lulzcifer
ts comes across as a scorned condesending asshole

ciano16 ur better off getting an part time job

THIS
CLOSE THE THREAD

Quote by Jawlytomtom
What are we arguing about? What is it you plan on being?

I work in welding/fabrication. Probably will for the rest of my life.

You were saying that people with Rockstar dreams need to "**** em just do it". I'm saying they need to be informed and realistic.
Page 1 of 2