The Deluxe Reverb seems to have a good reputation for taking pedals, both the vintage and reissue versions. Considering getting one, but I want to use it to get a swirling, noisy wall of sound *with a good, strong low end -- not just chimey, bright stuff*, and then play loud cleans cutting through that wall.

Anyone know, especially from experience, how it'd sound with something like heavy pedal reverb + POG 2 + Delay + Muff, maybe even pretty wet, or reversed? And then maybe looping that, switching to cleans...

You might say I'm just describing a Twin... well, I'm hoping that I can find an amp that hits a sweet spot at a little lower volume, but can still do some of this... maybe a Blues Deluxe would be better or something? Just brainstorming. Thanks!
Last edited by deathletter at Nov 21, 2011,
My AC30 handles pedals perfectly well and I can get a good break up at below deafening volumes.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I think the Deluxe would suit you well. I use it as a platform for pedals too and I've gotten some pretty cool "wall of sound" tracks with a fat low end. I swapped out the speaker though, I thought the stock was a little chimey and thin. The new Canabis speaker is FAT though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Slap-happy
My AC30 handles pedals perfectly well and I can get a good break up at below deafening volumes.

Yeah, but part of why I'm leaning toward Fender is that I want loud cleans. The Vox breakup sounds nice, but you can't get around it... whereas with Fenders, you can get either loud cleans or (with a good pedal or two) nice OD (even if, of course, not exactly the Vox sound).
Quote by deathletter
Yeah, but part of why I'm leaning toward Fender is that I want loud cleans. The Vox breakup sounds nice, but you can't get around it... whereas with Fenders, you can get either loud cleans or (with a good pedal or two) nice OD (even if, of course, not exactly the Vox sound).

Hate to *break* it to you, my deluxe breaks up earlier than an AC30. Of course, you're guitar matters and a PRS with Dragon IIs sits on the hot end but still. I don't get very much volume out of it before i get distortion. I can turn it to about three.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Hate to *break* it to you, my deluxe breaks up earlier than an AC30. Of course, you're guitar matters and a PRS with Dragon IIs sits on the hot end but still. I don't get very much volume out of it before i get distortion. I can turn it to about three.

So what would you recommend that will break up later than a DR but sooner than a Twin? Pro Reverb maybe? Getting good breakup isn't a huge priority for me (am okay with my dirt pedals), but I'd like to be able to hit the sweet spot at a lower volume than Twins.
Quote by deathletter
So what would you recommend that will break up later than a DR but sooner than a Twin? Pro Reverb maybe? Getting good breakup isn't a huge priority for me (am okay with my dirt pedals), but I'd like to be able to hit the sweet spot at a lower volume than Twins.

i love super reverbs, a local blues artist uses one straight up, no pedals into it so i can't comment on that, but the breakup is beautiful and quite loud. i don't have any great comparisons, but in general the higher the wattage of a tube amp the later it breaks up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i love super reverbs, a local blues artist uses one straight up, no pedals into it so i can't comment on that, but the breakup is beautiful and quite loud. i don't have any great comparisons, but in general the higher the wattage of a tube amp the sooner it breaks up.

...what? Pretty sure a champ will break up before a Meatsmoke.

TS, what about some of the newer Fender models? Like the Hot Rod stuff?
if you don't mind used then look for a Fender Concert. 60 watts plenty of clean headroom .
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i love super reverbs, a local blues artist uses one straight up, no pedals into it so i can't comment on that, but the breakup is beautiful and quite loud. i don't have any great comparisons, but in general the higher the wattage of a tube amp the later it breaks up.

i did type this wrong. sorry about that. more wattage=more headroom=more clean before it begins to break up.

thanks for the catch phoenix. i dont like to spread misinformation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The pro reverb is my favorite fender amp by far and the super is in third to the deluxe. All great choices.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712